Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-06, 11:16 AM   #1
JT52
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colordao
Bikes: '84 Peugeot PSV-10, '00 Schwinn Moab 2, '01 Airborne Valkyrie, '04 Surly Cross-Check
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone use Power Grips

I'm going on a three day mountain bike trip in May that has some pretty technical sections. I'm currently using clipless pedals on the bike but I'm thinking of switching to Power Grips for the trip, based on the idea that they'd be easier to get out of when I hit a technical patch.

Have any of you used Power Grips? And how do you feel about them?

Thanks!
JT52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 11:42 AM   #2
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT52
I'm going on a three day mountain bike trip in May that has some pretty technical sections. I'm currently using clipless pedals on the bike but I'm thinking of switching to Power Grips for the trip, based on the idea that they'd be easier to get out of when I hit a technical patch.

Have any of you used Power Grips? And how do you feel about them?

Thanks!
i have them!! i think they are simple and great.
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 12:59 PM   #3
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599
i have them!! i think they are simple and great.
+1. I still have a pair that I used to use a lot and I really liked them. They do just what they're supposed to do.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 04:23 PM   #4
Karldar
SNIKT!
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I've still got a pair around here somewhere. They work very well(much better than toeclips, in my opinion), but I prefer clipless--even in the technical stuff. I doubt you'll be disappointed if you get a pair, tho.
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 11:06 PM   #5
rmwun54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love them to no end. I like the idea of being able to walk around in shoes while hanging out somewhere on some trail or on the road. It is such a convience where ever I go; powergrips is what the masses needs while mucking around or really cranking it up the trails, or pacing the road, or just running erands.
That's whats on my bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bianchi road bike.jpg (53.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg my Giant OCR touring.jpg (81.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Trek 2.jpg (92.6 KB, 54 views)
rmwun54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 12:45 PM   #6
skyza
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a long time user, a couple things to consider:

When you take your foot out, what do you do with the strap?

Your options:

the strap over the peddle - your foot doesn't have much traction.

flip the peddle strap over - your strap has the potential to catch on something.
skyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 01:03 PM   #7
mcoine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwun54
Love them to no end. I like the idea of being able to walk around in shoes while hanging out somewhere on some trail or on the road. It is such a convience where ever I go; powergrips is what the masses needs while mucking around or really cranking it up the trails, or pacing the road, or just running erands.
That's whats on my bikes.
Ok, but I have to ask, what is that handlebar setup, and why do all your bikes have the chain completely crossed.. are you the guy that unloads the derailleur springs for storage? Just curious.
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 01:38 PM   #8
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyza
As a long time user, a couple things to consider: When you take your foot out, what do you do with the strap? Your options: the strap over the peddle - your foot doesn't have much traction.

flip the peddle strap over - your strap has the potential to catch on something.
I used to worry about that with mine, but (knock on wood) it never happened. I don't think it's as much of an issue as it seems like it might be.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.