Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-06, 05:02 PM   #1
DonValley
Mountain Bikes are Art
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your fav $1000 hardtails

Hi, I am looking to buy a quality used Mountain Bike. I am 5'10, 180 lbs. The bike would be used for tight woods trails through some moderate hills. I am hoping to buy a used bike , about two or so years old, and am thinking that I might get a good deal on one without disc brakes, as it appears to be the "Must HAve" item on the new bikes I see in the store. Anyone have some favorites in terms of quality/performance and bang for the buck? I was oogling a Specialised Stumpjumper new in the store, and it certainly appears to be a quality piece, but I am more familiar with cars and motorcycles in terms of evaluating component quality or seeing under the paint job. Opinions greatly appreciated.
DonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 05:36 PM   #2
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Rockhopper pro disc, it retails at 1100 but most bike shops have it selling for 999.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 08:58 PM   #3
concernicus
Senior Member
 
concernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz
Bikes: doesnt matter. just ride.
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fisher HKEK. get it.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...esis&bike=HKEK
concernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 09:00 PM   #4
concernicus
Senior Member
 
concernicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz
Bikes: doesnt matter. just ride.
Posts: 425
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fisher HKEK. get it.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...esis&bike=HKEK
concernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 10:05 PM   #5
smuguy
A-PSI MAN
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, Tx
Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper 06 disc I love my stumpy!
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off the stumpjumper is worth every penny! If you can't afford a new one, I am sure you can find one for a good price on a preowned stumpjumper. Second you should look at what type of riding you will be doing and then look at what bike best fits your riding skills. After you have narrowed your search down, you should try www.mtbr.com for reviews.
smuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 10:32 PM   #6
sngltrackdufus
Banned.
 
sngltrackdufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: tartarus
Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross
Posts: 1,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuguy
First off the stumpjumper is worth every penny! If you can't afford a new one, I am sure you can find one for a good price on a preowned stumpjumper. Second you should look at what type of riding you will be doing and then look at what bike best fits your riding skills. After you have narrowed your search down, you should try www.mtbr.com for reviews.
sngltrackdufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 11:08 PM   #7
badsac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bathurst oz
Bikes:
Posts: 1,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to say the Giant xtc2 might be a better frame with a better spec (brakes, shifters/rear derailleur). But on the US version of the giant site they just seem to have a normal xtc and a composite. Not the different models. What's doing there?

[Edit] Since piccies are cool.



[Edit2] lol okay, I didn't actually read his post. Second hand? Ignore this post then.

Last edited by badsac; 04-03-06 at 11:28 PM.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 11:21 PM   #8
Peek the Geek
is slower than you
 
Peek the Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: WI
Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonValley
Hi, I am looking to buy a quality used Mountain Bike.
Just to clarify, are you looking to spend $1000 on a used bike? Or are you looking to spend less on a bike that originally sold new for $1000?
__________________
Proud supporter of the Chippewa Off-Road Bike Association (CORBA)
www.chippewaoffroad.org

Peek the Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 11:38 PM   #9
gmoneyhobbit
cptn. x-chains sidekick
 
gmoneyhobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: san jose, ca
Bikes: stumpie, xtr, sid, ultimate sd
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
home built ones
gmoneyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-06, 11:42 PM   #10
gmoneyhobbit
cptn. x-chains sidekick
 
gmoneyhobbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: san jose, ca
Bikes: stumpie, xtr, sid, ultimate sd
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sngltrackdufus
gmoneyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 12:50 AM   #11
UAEBiker
Mmmm...Hardtails
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UAE
Bikes: '01 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a stumpjumper that i will sell you for $700. You just have to pick it up. Lol. Go get a stumpjumper i love mine and would hate to ever part with it. I test rode a HKEK and it was ok did like it that much though. The stumpjumper felt so much better. Test ride them both and see what you like though.
UAEBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 05:31 AM   #12
DonValley
Mountain Bikes are Art
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I am looking for a used one that originally sold for $1000+. Hoping to get something in the $600 range. Does anyone know what frame size would generally fit someone 5'10? Thanks. Bob.
DonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 06:12 AM   #13
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team
Posts: 4,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
17-18" ish frame should do it.

I like to err to the side of a smaller frame usually. You can always extend the seat, and if need be put on a longer stem.

Suggestions:
Kona Kula (might be a tough find at 600 though)
Specalized Rockhopper/Stumpjumper
Schwinn Homegrown
Giant XTC
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 07:00 AM   #14
Indy_Rider
Banned
 
Indy_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On a boat
Bikes: 2000 Fisher Paragon, 2005 Giant OCR2, 2006 Bianchi SASS, numerous others
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fisher all the way.
Indy_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 07:34 AM   #15
Tag1
Senior Member
 
Tag1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernicus
+1

...but I'm just saying that because I have one.



The HKEK comes with decent components, but the FRAME is what's great about it - made of ZR9000. Light and strong and light. Yay.
Tag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 11:14 AM   #16
achc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if you dun mind used ones...go on ebay and search for parts...there was an ellsworth frame that just ended at 275 where msrp is 1000 usd frame only...get small parts on ebay and you can save up alot....i spended around 1200 CDN so approx 1k usd on a bike that has complete XT, XTR crank and brakes, Avid BB7, Hayes and XT hubs w/ sun & Alex rim. Thomson seat post...

if you want a complete bike, trek 6 series, spec. rockhopper, xtc will be a good start
achc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 01:45 PM   #17
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The rockhopper has a recon and the hkek only has a tora

recon>tora. nuff said
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 03:00 PM   #18
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you want Hardtail or Full Suspension?

Rockhopper - All Mountain Hardtail MSRP $1100
Fisher HKEK - All Mountain Hardtail with a ZR9000 race frame MSRP $1099
Stumpjumper - XC/race Hardtail MSRP $1400 (my LBS has it for $1150)

The rockhopper has a heavy tank of a frame.
The Fisher HKEK has a ZR9000 race frame. I love the Genesis geometry of the Fisher.
The Stumpjumper is a M4 aluminum race frame.

The Rockhopper Comp Disc in a size 17.5" is just under 28 pounds.
The Stumpjumper is 24.5 pounds.
Last years Fisher HKEK was 27.2 pounds, but this years model is lighter.

Rockhopper - Avid Mechanical Disc
HKEK - Hayes Hydraulic Disc (better)
Stumpy - V-brakes (work just fine)

The Tora vs. the Recon is a valid argument, but over all I'd say the Fisher is a better bike than the Rockhopper, though it isn't quite up there with the Stumpjumper. Heck, the Stumpy comes with a Fox F90 this year. That's way better than the Recon or the Tora.

Lemme suggest this to ya:
There is a Giant Trance-4 on sale at my LBS for $750. That bike with a Fox Vanilla R fork from JensonUSA for $219 would be one HECKUVA nice dual suspension ride that is brand new. That's $979 +tx for a way cool and comfy All Mountain dually. (though it may be a bit heavy)

Go to your LBS and see what they have for last years closeouts. A used or closeout Trek 8000 would be in your price range and would be a great ride. Another LBS 25 miles away from me had a Cannondale F1000 lefty for $1000. Very good deal on a nice ride.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 03:24 PM   #19
DnA362
lions tigers&bears OH MY
 
DnA362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Bikes: Gary Fisher HKEK
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag1
+1

...but I'm just saying that because I have one.



The HKEK comes with decent components, but the FRAME is what's great about it - made of ZR9000. Light and strong and light. Yay.
+2
DnA362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 03:45 PM   #20
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelboed
Rockhopper - All Mountain Hardtail MSRP $1100
Fisher HKEK - All Mountain Hardtail with a ZR9000 race frame MSRP $1099
Stumpjumper - XC/race Hardtail MSRP $1400 (my LBS has it for $1150)

The rockhopper has a heavy tank of a frame.
The Fisher HKEK has a ZR9000 race frame. I love the Genesis geometry of the Fisher.
The Stumpjumper is a M4 aluminum race frame.

The Rockhopper Comp Disc in a size 17.5" is just under 28 pounds.
The Stumpjumper is 24.5 pounds.
Last years Fisher HKEK was 27.2 pounds, but this years model is lighter.

Rockhopper - Avid Mechanical Disc
HKEK - Hayes Hydraulic Disc (better)
Stumpy - V-brakes (work just fine)

The Tora vs. the Recon is a valid argument, but over all I'd say the Fisher is a better bike than the Rockhopper, though it isn't quite up there with the Stumpjumper. Heck, the Stumpy comes with a Fox F90 this year. That's way better than the Recon or the Tora.

Lemme suggest this to ya:
There is a Giant Trance-4 on sale at my LBS for $750. That bike with a Fox Vanilla R fork from JensonUSA for $219 would be one HECKUVA nice dual suspension ride that is brand new. That's $979 +tx for a way cool and comfy All Mountain dually. (though it may be a bit heavy)

Go to your LBS and see what they have for last years closeouts. A used or closeout Trek 8000 would be in your price range and would be a great ride. Another LBS 25 miles away from me had a Cannondale F1000 lefty for $1000. Very good deal on a nice ride.
Why would you compare the stumpy which is a more expensive bike to the other two. Of course it has better components, thats why it costs more. Its also more of a racing xc bike whereas the rockhopper is more on the burlier all mountain side of xc.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 03:56 PM   #21
leonardotmnt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoF3ar
The rockhopper has a recon and the hkek only has a tora

recon>tora. nuff said
Just because a bike has a better fork doesn't make it better...
leonardotmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 04:03 PM   #22
leonardotmnt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoF3ar
Why would you compare the stumpy which is a more expensive bike to the other two. Of course it has better components, thats why it costs more. Its also more of a racing xc bike whereas the rockhopper is more on the burlier all mountain side of xc.

He compared it because at least in some places they're the same price or close to it. He said at his LBS it was $1,150.
leonardotmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 04:09 PM   #23
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I compared the Stumpy because someone else suggested one...the same reason I compared the HKEK and Rockhopper Pro Disc. I don't recommend the Rockhopper at all, but if you're gonna get a new one for $900-$1100, I guess you may as well spend $1150 for a Stumpy and have more than 2x the bike. Or spend $979 for a Trance / or $1000 for a Cannondale F1000.

The only comparison regarding the Stumpy was that it's so much better than the ones that were being suggested, and in a price range that could be similar if you shop around.

The Trance, F1000, and Trek 8000 are all out of that range as well...except for the fact that I see them on sale for around the price range we're talking about. Thus I suggested them as well.

Totally agree with you, though. Two different classifications of bikes there. All Mountain vs. XC.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 04:15 PM   #24
Pink_Ninja
Mullet Boy!
 
Pink_Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Adelaide
Bikes: a giant upland 03, old europia road bike or something and soon to be getting a Norco Bigfoot or something of the sort
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
norco bigfoot, lovely bike!... and I bought it, I couldnt be happier with it!
Pink_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 04:17 PM   #25
WannaGetGood
Commited Suicide
 
WannaGetGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Abbotsford.BC
Bikes: 2001 Kona Stuff & 2004 Rocky Mountain Switch SL
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Rocky Mountain Flow 1.0. (2005) I love the frame. Solid. I think its about $1100.
WannaGetGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 AM.