Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    jackrussellsonabicycle Airwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Design me the perfect bike for the Great Divide

    I need the advice of you MTB gurus. Familar with the Great Divide route from Canada to Mexico? 2500 miles mostly on offroad with very few services. So, I want to do this route with all my gear completely alone. No experience with mtbs so design for me the perfect bike for this tour factoring in reliabilty, quality, AND price.

    I like the Surly monkey,... way off or on the right track?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tag1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let me clarify: You have no experience with MTB'ing whatsoever, yet you want to attempt a 2500 mile ride, by yourself, carrying all your survival gear?

    Is that right?
    06 GF HKEK
    05 Bruiser

  3. #3
    Banned. Jason222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Moncton NB
    My Bikes
    Trek Jack...trials bike soon.
    Posts
    2,123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately get an Xc hardtail. What's your price range or is money not an object?

  4. #4
    Your Local Megalomaniac literocola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher GED, ECHO Pure, Norco Moment, Kona Stab
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  5. #5
    succumbs to errata jaypee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    741
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll probably get a lot more information and a lot less bull**** if you ask in the Touring forum. The Surly KM would probably work well, however.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this...


  7. #7
    Senior Member Tag1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what you need - The perfect combination of the two bikes above:



    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4088165

    Doesn't really have the sweet accessories like literocola's suggestion, but I think the full-suspension design will really help you out over the thousands of rugged miles...
    06 GF HKEK
    05 Bruiser

  8. #8
    Why Be Normal? Gorsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cary, NC
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek 4300
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are seriously pathetic. Here's a guy wanting to attempt something that NONE of you will ever have the time, money, endurance, or balls to do, and instead of offering valid assistance you're posting nonsense jokes. This guys already ridden Rt66 from CA to IL and apparently is looking for a new challange. How about pretending you aren't idiots for just a few minutes and trying to be at least a little helpful. As for me, I have no worthy input on the topic as I'm pretty sure the experience I've gained on my lowly Trek 4300 would be of no assistance. Good luck in your attempt!
    Last edited by Gorsar; 05-18-06 at 09:11 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Tag1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsar
    You guys are seriously pathetic. Here's a guy wanting to attempt something that NONE of you will ever have the time, money, endurance, or balls to do, and instead of offering valid assistance you're posting nonsense jokes. This guys already ridden Rt66 from CA to IL and apparently is looking for a new challange. How about pretending you aren't idiots for just a few minutes and trying to be at least a little helpful. As for me, I have no worthy input on the topic as I'm pretty sure the experience I've gained on my lowly Trek 4300 would be of no assistance. Good luck in your attempt!
    Last edited by Tag1; 05-18-06 at 09:43 PM.
    06 GF HKEK
    05 Bruiser

  10. #10
    Senior Member FreeRidin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boulderado
    My Bikes
    Intense SS, Old spesh P series, ski/snow bike, fixie conversion
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaahahahahahahahahahahaha im lovein this!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer B
    The way I ride requires the most advanced, toughest wheelset's available.

    Chicago Freeride

  11. #11
    Whatever
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beer + this thread = good times

  12. #12
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,986
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick
    I need the advice of you MTB gurus. Familar with the Great Divide route from Canada to Mexico? 2500 miles mostly on offroad with very few services. So, I want to do this route with all my gear completely alone. No experience with mtbs so design for me the perfect bike for this tour factoring in reliabilty, quality, AND price.

    I like the Surly monkey,... way off or on the right track?

    Thanks!
    Since no one else is going to be serious about this, I will. The Surly is probably as good a choice as any for this kind of riding. You do need to go with a hardtail. You also want to look at a suspension fork but you want to check around for one that is pretty simple. Check MTBR.com and look for ones that don't have lots of problems with seals. If I were going, I'd probably use a spring, non-air fork simply because you don't have to carry an extra pump. If you have to go with an air sprung fork, look for one that is very reliable.

    For carrying your gear, go with a trailer. Fitting racks and panniers to a suspension fork can be done but it's not trivial.

    For components, just go with good Shimano stuff.

    For brakes, disc or V will work. I'd go with v-brakes just because you are more likely to find parts for any v-brake just about anywhere along the way. If you have discs, you might not be able to find parts depending on the brand. If you do go with discs, get mechanical so that you don't have to deal with hydraulic fluid if something goes wrong. I'd also make sure that the bike has bosses for v-brakes if you do use discs just in case something does go wrong and you can't find the proper parts.

    You probably don't need to carry extra components but be prepared for anything. This ride can be tough on equipment. Know your bike mechanically (good advice for any kind of touring) and know how to fix just about anything. Also make sure that you are ready to macguiver a solution to any problem. For example, if you biff a rear derailer, turn the bike into a single speed. You might have to walk hills but at least you won't end up as bear food.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  13. #13
    Senior Member nmn25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    My Bikes
    Faith 2, Completeley custom Kona Scrap (1600 worth)
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    super light frame (carbon or higher grade aluminum), hardtail, fork with lockout, xt (or close) shifters, 3X9 drive train, clipless pedals (the ones you clip into).

    I'm not sure how a trailor will work (depends on how "off road" you will be). again, whats your budget?
    If it works...... do it!

    Quote Originally Posted by AfterThisNap
    tiny and sessy

  14. #14
    nm+
    nm+ is offline
    Ultra-clydesdale
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA or St Paul, MN
    My Bikes
    Titus Racer-X AL/Trek 520(RIP)/Trek 930
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno that trail, but a lot of people use BOB trailers with much success for multiday MTB touring.
    This basically allows you to have anything for a bike. For that long, you have three choices.
    One is for your comfort -- Full suspension. It'll keep you more comfortable ancd if you use a BOB, you don't need the rack mounts. Both coil-ver shocks and fox air shocks are very reliable. You would need something simple with few, user-servicable, pivots. Honestly, for FS you'd want something rather high end. If you're willing to shell out the bucks the Titus Racer-X wuld be perfect. If you can get a used Alcola era Racer-X frame with the ALPs shock you will ahve one of the most bullet-proof bike built regardless of suspension (My dad bought a used one for $800 more than 5 years ago). The easton/float frames are great too and much lighter. However, used Titus's are not that common (though they'll all be in top shape), so really only consider this if you have the money. Even a used frame will need a new parts build.
    Hardtail -- Perhaps the best bang for the buck. Rack eyelets are useful, even if you are using a BOB. careful with forks. Maybe its the retro-grouch in me, but i still don't trust airforks. Unlike the very simiple rear fox float airshox, these need quite a bit of work to service. For me, nothing would be more perfect than an oil bath Marzochi Bomber. No need to gram count when you're carrying loads of crap. I'd prefer steel or TI fr comfort, but AL can be a good choice too. Watch out of ultra-light racing frames like fishers though. i know from experence, tehy can't take the stress. Otherwise, whatever's comfortable
    Rigid - Nothing to break, except you bones. Consider if you want to be hard core. Added advanatge of front Panniers. Make sure its a steel fork, or you'll regret it. Honestly, i'd look at the top two.
    Before you do any of this, ride some pretty touch offroad stuff on whatever bike you're bringing and amke sure you know gow to fix any part that can break.
    the guy above me who said, superlight, I disagree, I be willing to add a few pounds t keep the strength up. And extra pound is worth the pain caused by a snapped frame.
    Breaking bike parts for more than 20 years
    Titus Racer-X AL/Trek 520 (Cracked)/Trek 930

  15. #15
    is slower than you Peek the Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick
    I need the advice of you MTB gurus. Familar with the Great Divide route from Canada to Mexico? 2500 miles mostly on offroad with very few services. So, I want to do this route with all my gear completely alone. No experience with mtbs so design for me the perfect bike for this tour factoring in reliabilty, quality, AND price.

    I like the Surly monkey,... way off or on the right track?

    Thanks!
    Got enough money for an $850 frame? Then I'd suggest this:
    http://www.gunnarbikes.com/rocktour.php
    Proud supporter of the Chippewa Off-Road Bike Association (CORBA)
    www.chippewaoffroad.org


  16. #16
    DNPAIMFB pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    My Bikes
    Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
    Posts
    4,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute
    Since no one else is going to be serious about this, I will. The Surly is probably as good a choice as any for this kind of riding. You do need to go with a hardtail. You also want to look at a suspension fork but you want to check around for one that is pretty simple. Check MTBR.com and look for ones that don't have lots of problems with seals. If I were going, I'd probably use a spring, non-air fork simply because you don't have to carry an extra pump. If you have to go with an air sprung fork, look for one that is very reliable.

    For carrying your gear, go with a trailer. Fitting racks and panniers to a suspension fork can be done but it's not trivial.

    For components, just go with good Shimano stuff.

    For brakes, disc or V will work. I'd go with v-brakes just because you are more likely to find parts for any v-brake just about anywhere along the way. If you have discs, you might not be able to find parts depending on the brand. If you do go with discs, get mechanical so that you don't have to deal with hydraulic fluid if something goes wrong. I'd also make sure that the bike has bosses for v-brakes if you do use discs just in case something does go wrong and you can't find the proper parts.

    You probably don't need to carry extra components but be prepared for anything. This ride can be tough on equipment. Know your bike mechanically (good advice for any kind of touring) and know how to fix just about anything. Also make sure that you are ready to macguiver a solution to any problem. For example, if you biff a rear derailer, turn the bike into a single speed. You might have to walk hills but at least you won't end up as bear food.
    Damn! You stole my entire post. I too recommend the Avid BB mechanical disk brakes, mostly because you will be able to get away without truing your wheels as often. Spring fork 4 teh win - I would go with Marzocchi. Education on your route and how to fix your own bike will be key. Are you actually riding the Continental Divide, or are you going to link trails that parallel it? I don't know about anything south of the border, but the Canadian part of the Divide will take you through a couple thousand km of prime bear territory.
    <gone Googling>
    Holy shizzle! I just checked out some info on the Canuck section. It's mostly UNMARKED. WTF? Take GPS and a *****. Sir, if you survive, I doff my helmet to you.
    Proud Member of the HHCMF
    '06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning

  17. #17
    nm+
    nm+ is offline
    Ultra-clydesdale
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA or St Paul, MN
    My Bikes
    Titus Racer-X AL/Trek 520(RIP)/Trek 930
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second going with V's
    I've hard trouble getting replacemnt rotors in moab, how easy do you think it will be in bumfark, MT
    Breaking bike parts for more than 20 years
    Titus Racer-X AL/Trek 520 (Cracked)/Trek 930

  18. #18
    jackrussellsonabicycle Airwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsar
    You guys are seriously pathetic. Here's a guy wanting to attempt something that NONE of you will ever have the time, money, endurance, or balls to do, and instead of offering valid assistance you're posting nonsense jokes. This guys already ridden Rt66 from CA to IL and apparently is looking for a new challange. How about pretending you aren't idiots for just a few minutes and trying to be at least a little helpful. As for me, I have no worthy input on the topic as I'm pretty sure the experience I've gained on my lowly Trek 4300 would be of no assistance. Good luck in your attempt!
    Thanks everyone for the some good advice. No budget constraints other than wanting to be "smart" and here's what I mean. I've found that for road touring, it's hard to beat a Trek 520 or Cannondale T800, bikes in that class. I recently learned we could buy a Burly, use it for a trip, then sell it on ebaY for more than we originally paid. (hard to beat that)

    Another example is the bob trailer. I'm no fan for using them for road tours but they hold their value. Going to use one for the GD then sell it since this trip is something new and different for us. That's why I asked about the Surly Karate Monkey because they seem to be one of the bikes that has a following and retain their value.

    So, reading the suggestions you've given me to this point. 1) Going with a hardtail 2) 29 wheels 3) V brakes 4) 36 or 40 spoke wheels

    So now that the field has been narrowed, what would you say would be some of the best choices (actual brands, models of bikes) now?

    PS Gorsar, thanks my friend. Route 66 was probably where the idea was first hatched. (you pass the GD in Grants, New Mexico, one of our favorite towns. Both Airwick and Agape are coming along for the ride this time. www.agape.crazyguyonabike.com

  19. #19
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,986
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things I forgot:

    I'd probably go with a short travel fork. With a load, even in a trailer, the bike will handle differently. Trailers tend to make the bike tail heavy and a long travel fork will raise the front end making it even lighter. You want a fork that will take the edge off but you don't need something for big hits. It's not that rough a trail from the parts that I've seen here in Colorado. I would also get a fork with a lockout even though it adds complexity since there's still a lot of pavement on the route.

    Controls: I gather from another post that you are familiar with touring already so I don't have to harp too much on comfort of the controls. However, mountain bike bars are very different from road bars. You don't have as many hand positions which means that you put a lot of time in with your hands in one spot. Also, you don't want a set of bars that is way lower than your saddle but you also don't want to be sitting bolt upright either. First, when you install the fork (use threadless since it's easier to adjust) cut the steerer longer than you otherwise might. You can always add spacers above the stem. I'd use a 15 degree stem and riser bars. I'd also put bar ends on the riser bars. You won't need them for climbing necessarily but for the added hand positions. You might even want to look at a trekking bar but I, personally, don't really like those.

    For grips, stay away from anything that is too firm. I did a solo trip on a mountain bike long ago with solid rubber grips and it took 6 weeks for me to get the feeling back in my hands. It's not a pleasant experience! I'd suggest something like Grab ons. Look at the leisure grips or one of the softer grips on that page. Grab ons have good grip when they are wet (something that will happen) and they have a bit more cushion than most of the firmer grips out there.

    Finally, saddle. A shock post might be a good idea although it adds more complexity. You might want to consider something like a Brooks B67, the Champion Flyer or the Conquest instead. Or you can go with a regular plastic saddle. Whatever you get make sure that it is comfortable for you and that you put a lot of time in on it before you go. But you already know that
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,420
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off road touring bikes are a little different to sport MTBs. You need more stability, durability, touring brazeons.
    Purpose built off-road tourers are available.
    See
    Thorn
    Bruce Gordon
    Gunnar
    Sakkit do a "Great Divide touring MTB.

    The Brooks Conquest saddle is an excellent idea. You get Brooks comfort, a little suspension to even out the bumps but no complex mechanism to wear out. The weight is similar to lightweight saddle + sus post.

  21. #21
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,986
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW
    Off road touring bikes are a little different to sport MTBs. You need more stability, durability, touring brazeons.
    Purpose built off-road tourers are available.
    See
    Thorn
    Bruce Gordon
    Gunnar
    Sakkit do a "Great Divide touring MTB.

    The Brooks Conquest saddle is an excellent idea. You get Brooks comfort, a little suspension to even out the bumps but no complex mechanism to wear out. The weight is similar to lightweight saddle + sus post.
    Of the four you listed, I'd probably only go with the Gunnar for the Divide Trail. The Gordon and the Sakkit would be good bikes for touring but a front shock really helps with control off-road. The Thorn looks good but finding parts for a Rolhloff hub in the middle of Wyoming or deep in southern New Mexico would be next to impossible. And, even though I don't like trailers that much, a trailer is easier to use off-road than bags.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  22. #22
    jackrussellsonabicycle Airwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute
    Of the four you listed, I'd probably only go with the Gunnar for the Divide Trail. The Gordon and the Sakkit would be good bikes for touring but a front shock really helps with control off-road. The Thorn looks good but finding parts for a Rolhloff hub in the middle of Wyoming or deep in southern New Mexico would be next to impossible. And, even though I don't like trailers that much, a trailer is easier to use off-road than bags.
    Stuart! I didn't realize this was you,... I LOVE your journals. I enjoyed your Solo without Pie journal so much that I think that is where I got the idea to name my last posted journal Route 66 without Airwick. Nice to "meet" you. I've thought about signing your guestbook several times but the site is growing so fast these days it's hard to keep up.

    Ok, I like the Gunnar a lot. Nice people? Afraid I don't know much about them. Give me an idea of what the completed bike would run built up as you would build it up. The Canadian Rochy Mountain bikes also look appealing.

    Airwick's Dad

  23. #23
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick
    So, reading the suggestions you've given me to this point. 1) Going with a hardtail 2) 29 wheels 3) V brakes 4) 36 or 40 spoke wheels
    One thing to consider - opting for a 29er will drastically limit your choice of suspension forks and availability of replacement tires. I'm not sure about high spoke count mtb rim choices either.

    I would go with disc brakes. It seems to me that long descents, particularly in poor weather conditions and with the extra weight of a trailer and gear, would cook V-brakes in short order, as well as taking their toll on your rims.

  24. #24
    is slower than you Peek the Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick
    Ok, I like the Gunnar a lot. Nice people? Afraid I don't know much about them. Give me an idea of what the completed bike would run built up as you would build it up. The Canadian Rochy Mountain bikes also look appealing.

    Airwick's Dad
    The Gunnar folks are awesome. Check out the message boards at their web site, www.gunnarbikes.com, to see just how involved they are in working with their customers. Gunnars are made by Waterford Bikes if that means anything to you. I own two myself, though I can't comment directly on the Rock Tour, since I've never ridden it (or seen one in person, for that matter).

    Gunnar also offers custom geometry. How much are you thinking of spending?
    Proud supporter of the Chippewa Off-Road Bike Association (CORBA)
    www.chippewaoffroad.org


  25. #25
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,986
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastro
    One thing to consider - opting for a 29er will drastically limit your choice of suspension forks and availability of replacement tires. I'm not sure about high spoke count mtb rim choices either.

    I would go with disc brakes. It seems to me that long descents, particularly in poor weather conditions and with the extra weight of a trailer and gear, would cook V-brakes in short order, as well as taking their toll on your rims.
    26" wheels would be better. 700C tires (29er) are definitely going to be harder to find in Nowhere USA.

    Have to disagree on the V-brakes. I've been doing this for a long time before discs and never had a problem with rubber pads. Plus, again, it's probably easier to find replacement parts in the Great American Desert for V-brakes/cantis.

    The Gunnar looks good. The Krate Monkey is okay but I'm not a fan of the rear entry dropouts. Look a production bikes too. Since you are pulling a trailer, something like a Stumpjumper might be the ticket. I've done off-road touring on one and it worked well. Plus if you break it, you might be able to get it replaced easier. Same goes for a high end Trek or Giant or Kona etc.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •