Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Elite Rep
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Problem - Brake 'piston' popped out of caliper...please help!

    I was pumping one of the pistons out of my rear brake Hayes Nine XC to lube it, and i accidently pumped it out too far and i heard a little 'pop' and it seems that the piston came out of the caliper slightly. It didn't fall out, but it wasn't sitting in probably .

    Anyway i pushed and pryed it back in with a screw driver, but now the brake dosn't work. I pull the lever and nothing happens. So my number one guess is that there is a lot of air in the system and it needs re-bleeding?

    If its only rebleeding then thats fine! I have a bleed kit on its way and i have Dot 4 fluid and i'm ready to go! BUT do you think there could be anything else wrong with it? Since the piston actually technically 'came out' of its placing in the caliper, will re-bleeding just fix it or is there something else...more complicated i need to do .

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, uk
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience of this with hayes, but have taken apart shimano hydros before. So long as the piston and housing isn't damaged, it will just need a thorough bleeding.

  3. #3
    Elite Rep
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh the piston and caliper housing is fine. Looks like i'll just have to wait untill the bleed kit arrives...

    Also i think there might be quite a bit of air in there, should i just bleed as normal or is there anything else you recommened i do aswell?


  4. #4
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_neon
    I was pumping one of the pistons out of my rear brake Hayes Nine XC to lube it, and i accidently pumped it out too far and i heard a little 'pop' and it seems that the piston came out of the caliper slightly. It didn't fall out, but it wasn't sitting in probably .

    Anyway i pushed and pryed it back in with a screw driver, but now the brake dosn't work. I pull the lever and nothing happens. So my number one guess is that there is a lot of air in the system and it needs re-bleeding?

    If its only rebleeding then thats fine! I have a bleed kit on its way and i have Dot 4 fluid and i'm ready to go! BUT do you think there could be anything else wrong with it? Since the piston actually technically 'came out' of its placing in the caliper, will re-bleeding just fix it or is there something else...more complicated i need to do .

    Thanks!
    i am not sure in what manner you used a screw driver...but next time, please don't use a screw driver and come ask the forum for help first. did you really think that the screw driver idea was a good one??? that made me cringe reading your post...

    yes, you could have cause burrs in either of the metal surfaces. i would pop it back out and check everything. not trying to make you feel bad, but how do you know you didn't compromise the O-ring seal??? it would be worth the investigation now before you spend the time bleeding it and find out there was more to it after words.

    just a good bleeding should be fine. the calipers are meant to let air bubbles rise to the bleeder valve. however, to facilitate air movement, you can heat the caliper with a hair dryer or heat *** (NOT A TORCH) and tap on the caliper with like something plastic or wood (NOT A SLEDGE HAMMER) and this should help "break" away any stuck bubbles.

    also, if you take the piston back out to inspect things as i suggest, you could top off the opening with brake fluid before you push the piston in and allow the fluid to over flow a little and you might actually get away with barely even needing a bleed.

    i would check to make sure there are no burrs on either the caliper bore or the piston. if there are, remove them. also make sure there are no slices in the o-ring seal. if there are, replace it.

    you should be okay in the end though
    Last edited by mx_599; 05-25-06 at 07:18 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member vw addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown
    Posts
    2,678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    since you have to re-bleed anyway you might want to take it apart to have a look at the piston and O ring to see if you caused any damage. And don't worry too much, a screwdriver is fine for pushing pistons back in as long as you are careful and don't push on the center post.

  6. #6
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vw addict
    since you have to re-bleed anyway you might want to take it apart to have a look at the piston and O ring to see if you caused any damage. And don't worry too much, a screwdriver is fine for pushing pistons back in as long as you are careful and don't push on the center post.
    yes, sorry if i sounded like a jerk above. using a screwdriver to pry pistons back in is fine when you use it against the brake pad. i was envisioning you using the screwdriver in other horrid ways....

  7. #7
    Elite Rep
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh i really dont want to take it apart, i'm not very confident. I'm not sure why i would have 'busted' the o-ring. The piston didn't fall out, its just went far enough that it wasn't seated problaby and i CAREFULLY pryed the EDGES of the piston from 3 different spots back in.

    Without the bike in, and when i squeeze the lever, the piston actually moves! It moves out, but a bit slower, but it dosn't have the 'power' to clamp the rotor when the wheel in.

    Is this a syptom of air? Also i really dont think there is any problem/damage at all to the piston or caliper but i will have a look tonight. Infact i'll dismount brake from the bike to get a better look. I'm not even sure how to take apart the brake and problaby take the piston out anyway so i'll think i'll leave that for now.

    MX- If i took the brake/house/lever off, and somehow tied the lever end up really high, and the caliper was down low, then did the 'heating' method could this help get the air up better then if it was still on the bike?

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Elite Rep
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599


    i would check to make sure there are no burrs on either the caliper bore or the piston. if there are, remove them. also make sure there are no slices in the o-ring seal. if there are, replace it.
    I dont even know where the o-ring seal is located , and how do i reconise a burr?

  9. #9
    Show Me What'cha got Blazinall91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    O'Fallon, Misery
    My Bikes
    old school Giant Attraction MTB (where it all started),old school Schwinn High Plains MTB (XC and long ride duty), Mosh DJ3 (BMX basher), and Trek Bruiser 1 (freeride and full of mods and still growing)
    Posts
    1,225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i saw the same thing in my head imagining a screw driver against piston, i had thoughts of the time i witnesed my friend using needle nose pliers on nuts, i about had a heart attack
    "I'm; young enough to know the right car to buy yet grown enough not to put rims on it. I got that 6-deuce, with curtains, so you can't see me and I didn't even have to put tints on it."

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, uk
    Posts
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The o-ring seal sits between the body of the caliper and the piston; you will not be able to see it without taking the thing apart. Like you say it's pretty unlikely that you damaged it, so I'd just leave it. When the piston is in its out (but not popped out of the caliper) position you can check the sides for scratches and small shards of metal (burrs) that could potentially damage the seal.

    From your description it sound like your brake is ok though, just keep bleeding it any eventually it'll spring into life again.

  11. #11
    Elite Rep
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh I see, thanks for the replies everyone .

    I've tried all i can (even heating it up with the hair drier and tapping/letting the air try to rise up the hose), but still no luck so i will just be waiting untill my bleed kit arrives.

    A question on bleeding with the Hayes system, i understand how to connect it and bleed it down at the caliper, but at the master cylinder i'm not sure where the fluid actually escapes? There are two weird nuts, that are like an octogan screwdriver thread inside, but there is also a little plastic 'knob' about 3mm in diatmeter...i assume thats the end where the fluid escapes from whilst bleeding?

    How should i remove this correctly then re-install it after wards?

    Thanks again

  12. #12
    Elite Rep
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if there was a 'crack' or damaged o-ring or something, wouldn't there be fluid leaking?

    Cheers

  13. #13
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you get yourself into this in the first place?

    Why lube it?

  14. #14
    Senior Member vw addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown
    Posts
    2,678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Why would you get yourself into this in the first place?

    Why lube it?
    You need to "lube" the piston with DOT 4 when it gets stuck and won't move. Otherwise the rotor will rub, and if you recenter them without fixing the stuck piston the rotor will usually rub on the caliper body. You see this alot in dry dusty conditions.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_neon
    Also if there was a 'crack' or damaged o-ring or something, wouldn't there be fluid leaking?

    Cheers
    Yes, if the seal, piston, or cylinder is damaged enough it will leak fluid. You have air in the lines.. bleed the brakes.

  16. #16
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vw addict
    You need to "lube" the piston with DOT 4 when it gets stuck and won't move. Otherwise the rotor will rub, and if you recenter them without fixing the stuck piston the rotor will usually rub on the caliper body. You see this alot in dry dusty conditions.

    Good tip, I didn't know that.

  17. #17
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilbee
    The o-ring seal sits between the body of the caliper and the piston; you will not be able to see it without taking the thing apart. Like you say it's pretty unlikely that you damaged it, so I'd just leave it. When the piston is in its out (but not popped out of the caliper) position you can check the sides for scratches and small shards of metal (burrs) that could potentially damage the seal.

    From your description it sound like your brake is ok though, just keep bleeding it any eventually it'll spring into life again.
    yeah i agree....sorry i was studying yesterday. it doesn't sound like you did anything bad as i first thought. just do a good bleed, don't stress too much about tapping or heating or postion of the setup at this point. just mount it and bleed. sorry if i misled you.

    next time though, always pry against the pad not the piston. you can't hurt the pads but pistons are finely machined parts

  18. #18
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_neon
    Also if there was a 'crack' or damaged o-ring or something, wouldn't there be fluid leaking?

    Cheers
    doesn't have to leak right away. it could take awhile for the burr to wear into the o-ring.

    but don't worry about it, i don't think you gouged anything

  19. #19
    Elite Rep
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks . I'll try a good bleed when the kit arrives. If i still have problems i'll post back, if it seems the piston/any is damaged and can aquire a new o-ring and piston for about $30AUD...i guess i'll just have to wait and find out!

    Thanks again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •