Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-06, 02:25 PM   #1
Hyper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My hands hurt after riding on my mountain bike, any suggestions?

Hey guys,

Lately whenever I ride trails with my mountain bike my left hand starts to hurt (sometimes my right one does the same thing, but not lately) This is usually after a few miles in to the ride and during a downhil (bumpy) part.

The part of my hand that hurts is around my ring and pinky fingers. These fingers start to hurt a lot near the knuckle and then my knuckle starts to hurt.

At first I thought I was using the wrong gloves. So I swithced from my fingerless PIs to my BMX Fox gloves. Same issue.

Then I thought it was the ammount of bumpage I get from riding on heavily rooted trails. I checked my tire pressure and my front fork and realized that they are on a very low setting. The tires are at 35psi, and the fork is very bouncable.

Whenever I ride my road bike and my BMX I have no problem with my hands. I have ridden my mountain bike for over a year now, and this issue only came about 50 miles ago (beginning of this seaseon), despite the bike having over 300 miles on it.

Does anyone know why my knuckle is hurting after a mountain bike ride?

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

Regards,
~Z
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 02:43 PM   #2
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 3,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
just a couple of quick thoughts........maybe you have a death grip on the bars? It tends to happen without thought sometimes.

Also, what types of grips do you run?

The other thought would be that maybe you have too much weight on your hands in your normal riding position.
C Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 03:12 PM   #3
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me too, but it hurts for me in my wrist after the downhill bumpy parts.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 03:42 PM   #4
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,291
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoF3ar
Me too, but it hurts for me in my wrist after the downhill bumpy parts.
Look at your brake lever set up. If your levers are too flat, you may be bending your wrist upward too much. Move the levers so that your wrist are just about straight as you sit with your hands on the bar. The levers will be almost perpendicular to the ground.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 03:51 PM   #5
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,291
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper
Hey guys,

Lately whenever I ride trails with my mountain bike my left hand starts to hurt (sometimes my right one does the same thing, but not lately) This is usually after a few miles in to the ride and during a downhil (bumpy) part.

The part of my hand that hurts is around my ring and pinky fingers. These fingers start to hurt a lot near the knuckle and then my knuckle starts to hurt.

At first I thought I was using the wrong gloves. So I swithced from my fingerless PIs to my BMX Fox gloves. Same issue.

Then I thought it was the ammount of bumpage I get from riding on heavily rooted trails. I checked my tire pressure and my front fork and realized that they are on a very low setting. The tires are at 35psi, and the fork is very bouncable.

Whenever I ride my road bike and my BMX I have no problem with my hands. I have ridden my mountain bike for over a year now, and this issue only came about 50 miles ago (beginning of this seaseon), despite the bike having over 300 miles on it.

Does anyone know why my knuckle is hurting after a mountain bike ride?

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

Regards,
~Z
You are probably compressing the ulnar nerve. It's fairly typical in bicycling. Looking at your bike on your website, I'd say that part of the problem is with position. If you lean too much on your palm, you compress the nerve and it leads to 'tingly' fingers - usually ring and pinky. And it happens to lots of people, even after years of riding. The fix is to move your hands around more. Try turning the barends down so that they are just slightly angled and use the bars while climbing or cruising the flats. Also try shaking your hands when they start to tingle.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:31 PM   #6
Hyper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You are probably compressing the ulnar nerve. It's fairly typical in bicycling. Looking at your bike on your website, I'd say that part of the problem is with position. If you lean too much on your palm, you compress the nerve and it leads to 'tingly' fingers - usually ring and pinky. And it happens to lots of people, even after years of riding. The fix is to move your hands around more. Try turning the barends down so that they are just slightly angled and use the bars while climbing or cruising the flats. Also try shaking your hands when they start to tingle.
Thanks on the thoughts and suggestions ... will try this out and report back ...
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:35 PM   #7
mlh122
Senior Member
 
mlh122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NW
Bikes: Trek 4500
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get the same thing, I'm going to try some Ergo Grips and if that doesn't work, a shorter stem, my seat is already pretty far forward. You could move your seat forward a bit to allow you to sit back more and relieve some pressure off your hands, but not so far that you mess up your fore/aft position (knee to pedal spindle in forward position)
mlh122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:35 PM   #8
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Snohomish County, Washington USA
Bikes: Road, mountain and folding
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The above poster is most likely correct. This sounds like a classic case of ulnar neuropathy, also known as 'cyclist's palsy' or 'handlebar palsy'. If you do a Google using the terms 'ulnar neuropathy bicycling' you will get some good information. Padded gloves, moving the hand position frequently, and avoiding undue bending of the wrist are all things you can do on the bike. Off the bike, taking some anti-inflammatories and using a carpal tunnel wrist brace while you sleep is a good idea. You should probably stay off the bike for a week or two until it heals.
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:44 PM   #9
iamthetas
Senior Member
 
iamthetas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: colonial heights Va
Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ERGON grips. under $22 at Performance bikes. you can get away with a lot more technique errors with these babies too. I swear by them now along with my Ergo control bar ends for lots of options on long rides
iamthetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 06:14 PM   #10
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Look at your brake lever set up. If your levers are too flat, you may be bending your wrist upward too much. Move the levers so that your wrist are just about straight as you sit with your hands on the bar. The levers will be almost perpendicular to the ground.
Im so dumb, in my ride today I noticed when I reached up to grab the levers and the handlebars at the same time on the downhill, thats when my wrists started to hurt.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 06:33 PM   #11
Hank Rearden
Banned.
 
Hank Rearden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoF3ar
Im so dumb, in my ride today I noticed when I reached up to grab the levers and the handlebars at the same time on the downhill, thats when my wrists started to hurt.
We agree!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

From 3/30/06:

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php...41#post2355741

Hank Rearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 06:53 PM   #12
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll go fix them now, totally forgot that you suggested I change them. Hopefully reducing some of the wrist pain, of course the lack of a good fork will still cause some pain in my wrists.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 06:09 PM   #13
iamthetas
Senior Member
 
iamthetas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: colonial heights Va
Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nah, its just builds muscle and character
iamthetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 06:41 PM   #14
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Riding with no hands will keep them form hurting.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 06:44 PM   #15
FF 6800
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Beach, California
Bikes: 2005 Specialized hardrock pro... pike426, e.13 drs, fsa gap crank, formula k24's, and some more/2006 Scattante R-660 easton circuit wheels.
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Riding with no hands will keep them form hurting.
good one
FF 6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 06:05 AM   #16
Hyper
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Riding with no hands will keep them form hurting.
I do that when I'm vacationing



mountain bike + road tires + 5 miles without touching the handlebars = lots of people looking and saying "showoff"
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 06:47 AM   #17
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
Riding with no hands will keep them form hurting.
Having your hands removed sounds a bit extreme to me .
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 09:18 PM   #18
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Bikes: Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm, ok you guys got wrist problem, I got butt hurt when sit on a wooden or plastic chair, anyone knows why? My mom says cause its from cycling, she said there is soo many bumps on the road it the chair hits my butt a lot of time until nowadays I cant sit on a wooden or plastic chair cause when I stand up I will feel very painfull Anyone knows why?
wheelhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 09:34 PM   #19
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,291
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot
Hmm, ok you guys got wrist problem, I got butt hurt when sit on a wooden or plastic chair, anyone knows why? My mom says cause its from cycling, she said there is soo many bumps on the road it the chair hits my butt a lot of time until nowadays I cant sit on a wooden or plastic chair cause when I stand up I will feel very painfull Anyone knows why?
Ever broken your tailbone? Or fallen on it. I've broken mine about 5 times and it hurts like that all the time.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 09:39 PM   #20
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Bikes: Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tailbone? whats a tailbone, im not such a medical person, lol
wheelhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 10:02 PM   #21
Ludovico
I Dig Hardtail
 
Ludovico's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Canada
Bikes: 2006 Kona Kula deluxe
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot
tailbone? whats a tailbone, im not such a medical person, lol
If you had broken your tailbone, you would know
Ludovico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 10:05 PM   #22
blue_neon
Elite Rep
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haha nice call
blue_neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 10:28 PM   #23
BoSoxYacht
Banned
 
BoSoxYacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it
Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Ever broken your tailbone? Or fallen on it. I've broken mine about 5 times and it hurts like that all the time.
I got thrown into a pool and bruised my coccyx when i was in high school(over 20 years ago) . I thought that was painful , untill I herniated 3 discs in my back . 3 years later , to the day , and I still have the walk of an 80 year old man when it acts up . Luckily cycling helps it, instead of hurting me.
BoSoxYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 07:16 AM   #24
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 18,291
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot
tailbone? whats a tailbone, im not such a medical person, lol
It's the tip on a bit of spine that extends past your hip girdle. It's also called a coccyx. It is a vestigial tail and it is easily broken during a fall. Look here for information. I've injured mine several times and the dull pain from sitting in hard chairs just never goes away.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 11:57 PM   #25
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Bikes: Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I DID broke my coccyx, cause i tried putting pressure on the sitbone and it hurts, hmm how to cure it faster? I STILL want to cycle though. Suggestions?
wheelhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 AM.