Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Nashbar Reynolds 853 MTB Frame

    Anyone happened to get this frame yet? I am unsure how long it has been available, i don't think very long. Looks kinda interesting, even if the main triangle is the only thing that is 853.






  2. #2
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Portis
    Anyone happened to get this frame yet? I am unsure how long it has been available, i don't think very long. Looks kinda interesting, even if the main triangle is the only thing that is 853.
    it is very similar to Soma's...but i am partial to Soma. the Nashbar one will be good.

    if you are thinking about it i would look at the Soma's as well. similar priced

  3. #3
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mx_599
    it is very similar to Soma's...but i am partial to Soma. the Nashbar one will be good.

    if you are thinking about it i would look at the Soma's as well. similar priced
    Soma's seems to be Reynolds 631 instead of 853 and it is about the same price.

  4. #4
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Portis
    Soma's seems to be Reynolds 631 instead of 853 and it is about the same price.
    they have changed to Tange prestige steel which is supposed to be equivalent or better than 853.

    ...and 853 isn't like way better than 631. some of the older Soma's used 853 too.

    i have a Soma Juice that is 631 and it is going to kick a$$ when done. it makes no difference that it is not 853 in my opinion. i am not an expert on the steels, but the only difference i believe is that 631 is heat treated and 853 is cold worked or something.

    the guys in the frame builder/mechanics section know metallurgy

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Regina, SK, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Rocky HT
    Posts
    945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd spend the extra $100 and get an RM Blizzard, or save a $100 and get a Kona Exposif.

  6. #6
    is slower than you Peek the Geek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    WI
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regular price is listed as $799???? That's hilarious.

    I agree, look at other steel frames like the Rocky Mountain or Kona. Also, I'd strongly suggest watching eBay. $800 steel frames like the Gunnar Rockhound, used but in great condition, often sell for $300-400 or less. I bought my Gunnar Ruffian frame for $275, and it's in excellent condition.

  7. #7
    I can't stop! airpressure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    mars, wait no........
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My riding buddy has one of these frames, he has been happy with it. Nothing really special about it though.
    shimano.com- good bike parts trekbikes.com- good bikes
    specializedbikes.com- also good bikes

  8. #8
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by airpressure
    My riding buddy has one of these frames, he has been happy with it. Nothing really special about it though.
    the specialness comes with the parts you put into it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •