Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-06, 03:15 PM   #1
Curtis_Elwood
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Curtis_Elwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is Fox's fork warranty transferable?

It says it's good for 2 years, but doesn't say whether it's transferable or not.

My friend bought a Stumpjumper FSR Expert from Ebay. F100X fork went flat on our first ride. Despite numerous pleas by me for her to contact the seller immediately, she did not. After having the fork a month, Fox finally tells her that she needs a receipt. So much for their claimed 48 hour turnaround. She just sent her Ebay receipt, but I doubt they'll accept that. Anyone have a clue as to whether they'll honor the warranty based on an Ebay receipt? I know they've been having tons of trouble with the 100X forks, so I figure they'll want to limit their liability as much as possible and deny the claim. They quoted her $250 to repair.

She finally contacted the seller and he said that he won't do anything now, but might have if she contacted him earlier. Guess she should have listened to me. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone knew whether Fox would warranty an OEM fork from a bike purchased on Ebay. Thanks.
Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 05:48 PM   #2
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis_Elwood
It says it's good for 2 years, but doesn't say whether it's transferable or not.

My friend bought a Stumpjumper FSR Expert from Ebay. F100X fork went flat on our first ride. Despite numerous pleas by me for her to contact the seller immediately, she did not. After having the fork a month, Fox finally tells her that she needs a receipt. So much for their claimed 48 hour turnaround. She just sent her Ebay receipt, but I doubt they'll accept that. Anyone have a clue as to whether they'll honor the warranty based on an Ebay receipt? I know they've been having tons of trouble with the 100X forks, so I figure they'll want to limit their liability as much as possible and deny the claim. They quoted her $250 to repair.

She finally contacted the seller and he said that he won't do anything now, but might have if she contacted him earlier. Guess she should have listened to me. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone knew whether Fox would warranty an OEM fork from a bike purchased on Ebay. Thanks.
the seller doesn't have to be a d-bag and could still help out with a receipt or something.
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 08:09 PM   #3
Curtis_Elwood
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Curtis_Elwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She has the Ebay receipt, but I have a feeling the guy's just some low life. Probably isn't even a biker.
Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 08:36 PM   #4
WeWu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found this on the Specialized website faqs:

question: What is the warranty on my new Specialized bike?

answer: Thanks for question! The frame has a limited lifetime warranty on the frame (manufacturers defect) and one year for the components-to the original owner.

I don't think the ebay receipt is gonna do it, since it in no way proves when the bike was originally bought.

Also I'm not entirely sure about this regarding bike parts, but if the part is oe usually it doesn't carry the same warranty as the retail part. And in interpreting the specialized faq I'm pretty sure specialized handles the warranty on the components they put on their bikes.

Either way your friend is sol without the original receipt and handing a specialized dealer the ebay receipt is not going to help you cause. Since that would mean it was bought used online, therefore would not have any warranty.

Also how was this bike paid for?? If it was paypal I would go after the seller for falsely advertising the bike(if that was in fact what he did). You can either get part of the money back for the repair of the fork or get a complete refund and return the bike to the seller.
WeWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-06, 04:44 AM   #5
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If she is going to have it rebuilt have her to get it pushed. Not only will it be cheaper than having fox do it, it will also perform better than ever since it will now be set up just for her riding style, bike, and weight.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-06, 04:47 AM   #6
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWu
Also how was this bike paid for?? If it was paypal I would go after the seller for falsely advertising the bike(if that was in fact what he did). You can either get part of the money back for the repair of the fork or get a complete refund and return the bike to the seller.
It's been a month, there is no way paypal is going to give her back her money. Complaints have to be filed immediately.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-06, 05:57 AM   #7
Curtis_Elwood
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Curtis_Elwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Bikes:
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCel
If she is going to have it rebuilt have her to get it pushed. Not only will it be cheaper than having fox do it, it will also perform better than ever since it will now be set up just for her riding style, bike, and weight.
That's a great idea. I thought about that, but hadn't mentioned it to her. I just hope she won't mind taking the extra time to have PUSH do it. Maybe Fox will send it straight over for her since they've wasted her time for a month now.
Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:04 PM.