Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-03, 07:32 AM   #1
Singlespeedster
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new toy



Color me stoked!
Singlespeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 07:41 AM   #2
bikeCOLORADO
Got Jesus?
 
bikeCOLORADO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, USA!
Bikes:
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ooohhh....she's a beaut!
__________________
CS BOMB
<><
bikeCOLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 08:55 AM   #3
schnell
Eleventy Billion Posts
 
schnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: East Coast
Bikes:
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! That's quite the toy

Is that an SRAM drivetrain? What do you think of it?
schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 10:34 AM   #4
a2psyklnut
NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS!
 
a2psyklnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
Bikes: Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice!!!!!

Superlight, right?

What fork is that?

What discs are you running?

CrossMax wheels, RaceFace Cranks, Thomson Stem & Post.

Sweet set-up! Congrats!

L8R
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
a2psyklnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 10:40 AM   #5
a2psyklnut
NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS!
 
a2psyklnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
Bikes: Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Duh, sorry, I meant Blur, not Superlight! Sweet! How's it ride?

L8R
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
a2psyklnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 10:40 AM   #6
Cyclesister
Junior Member
 
Cyclesister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oooooooh, nice!
Cyclesister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 11:55 AM   #7
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome - that's one of the FS bike's that I'm considering. Please shoot us an initial review, and a more long-term review when possible.

ThanX!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome!!!!
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 01:14 PM   #8
Jim311
Senior Member
 
Jim311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Bikes:
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want your wheels
Jim311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 04:03 PM   #9
DrGonzo
bike/raft
 
DrGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Western Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome dude, i second the comment about the wheels, i want them too!
__________________
practice, practice, practice...
Last trail to kick my ass: Eagle's tail
DrGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 05:11 PM   #10
Cheezer
Junior Member
 
Cheezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet Jeepster Oh wait you're showing of the bike. That's nice too

Cheezer
Cheezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 10:14 AM   #11
Singlespeedster
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, initial review. Keep in mind that I have done all of 2 rides on this, so what I say is by no means a refined opinion.

What i need to do is quit comparing this frame to my old one, which is a 2002 Giant NRS Air. If we picture a scale that runs from hardtail to full on downhill rig, the NRS would be just over the line from hardtail. Small bump compliance, and initial travel are quite harsh feeling.

(In reality, it seems that riding the Blur has made me ore able to objectively review the NRS..ah well)

The Blur rides quite nicely though. There is just a much mor plush feel to the bike. The Blur is not as efficient as the NRS, but there are two points I would like to make about that.

1) The NRS is about as efficient as it gets.

2) The NRS is pretty much an XC race orineted bike, while the Blur is geared to being a "Trail Bike".

All of the hype on this bike seems to agrre on the fact that the 4.5 inches of rear wheel travel feel mor elike 6, and after the riding I have done I would have to agree. It really soaks up the rough stuff quite well.

Currently I am running an 80mm travel fork, which works suprisingly well, I cannot wait for the 100mm fork to show up. (perhaps today!) I was a bit leery of dropping the front end off of ledges that were over a foot and a half.

Overall, I am quite happy with the bike, but look for a more informed review soon.

PS, No one may have my wheels, sorry.

A
Singlespeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 01:20 PM   #12
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Singlespeedster
OK, initial review. Keep in mind that I have done all of 2 rides on this, so what I say is by no means a refined opinion.

What i need to do is quit comparing this frame to my old one, which is a 2002 Giant NRS Air. If we picture a scale that runs from hardtail to full on downhill rig, the NRS would be just over the line from hardtail. Small bump compliance, and initial travel are quite harsh feeling.

(In reality, it seems that riding the Blur has made me ore able to objectively review the NRS..ah well)

The Blur rides quite nicely though. There is just a much mor plush feel to the bike. The Blur is not as efficient as the NRS, but there are two points I would like to make about that.

1) The NRS is about as efficient as it gets.

2) The NRS is pretty much an XC race orineted bike, while the Blur is geared to being a "Trail Bike".

All of the hype on this bike seems to agrre on the fact that the 4.5 inches of rear wheel travel feel mor elike 6, and after the riding I have done I would have to agree. It really soaks up the rough stuff quite well.

Currently I am running an 80mm travel fork, which works suprisingly well, I cannot wait for the 100mm fork to show up. (perhaps today!) I was a bit leery of dropping the front end off of ledges that were over a foot and a half.

Overall, I am quite happy with the bike, but look for a more informed review soon.

PS, No one may have my wheels, sorry.

A

ThanX for the initial review, Singlespeedster. If I may, I have a few other questions:

- What fork (the 80mm) are you running now? What are you planning on installing?

- Do you know the weight of your NRS vs the Blur?? Is your blur equipped with disc brakes?

ThanX a bunch, and I'm looking forward to a more long-term review. This bike has gotten me very excited!!!
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 01:54 PM   #13
Singlespeedster
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wheat Ridge, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by bac

- What fork (the 80mm) are you running now? What are you planning on installing?
Marzocchi Marathon and Marzocchi Marathon, respectively.

Quote:

- Do you know the weight of your NRS vs the Blur?? Is your blur equipped with disc brakes?
The blur frame weighs just a tad more. The NRS was at 26.5 and the Blur weighs just under 27. I have a heavier stem and saddle than I did on the NRS, all other parts are the same.


Quote:

ThanX a bunch, and I'm looking forward to a more long-term review. This bike has gotten me very excited!!!
I'm busily collecting data, getting ready for another ride as we speak!

A
Singlespeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.