Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What helps neck pain?

    I have my seat higher than my handlebars and I have to keep my neck craned upwards to see the trail.

    Riserbars or a higher degree stem? Whats better? The only thing I don't like about riserbars is the sweep?(I think thats the name) I have straight bars now with a tiny bend, and when I hold on to riserbars it feels like a granny bike becuase the bars sweep towards me too much. If thats the case what am I looking for?

    I do almost all XC riding. Thats the thing, I dont want downhill bars. The bars I have now look like the ones in this link. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5250

    these are bars maybe I should get? http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5250

    oddly enough the top link says they are made for XC which is all that Im doing! So maybe I should get a new stem?
    Last edited by Rockadile; 08-29-06 at 07:29 AM.

  2. #2
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile
    I have my seat higher than my handlebars and I have to keep my neck craned upwards to see the trail.

    Riserbars or a higher degree stem? Whats better? The only thing I don't like about riserbars is the sweep?(I think thats the name) I have straight bars now with a tiny bend, and when I hold on to riserbars it feels like a granny bike becuase the bars sweep towards me too much. If thats the case what am I looking for?
    How long have you had the pain? Is it because you've only recently started riding a fair amount or have you always had this pain?

    Generally, the neck pain you describe just goes away but the riserbars are an option. Alternatively if you happen to have a long stem you're stretching out more over the top-tube and are forced to lift your head a little higher. If you you get a shorter stem you won't be as stretched out.

    That assumes that you have a long stem. I think most bikes come with 90mm stems so if you have one of those then go the riser route.

    Actually, why don't you look into getting bar ends? You typically have to look higher up when you're climbing. With bar ends you'll be able to get a higher, more comfortable position when you climb.
    First Class Jerk

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    How long have you had the pain? Is it because you've only recently started riding a fair amount or have you always had this pain?

    Generally, the neck pain you describe just goes away but the riserbars are an option. Alternatively if you happen to have a long stem you're stretching out more over the top-tube and are forced to lift your head a little higher. If you you get a shorter stem you won't be as stretched out.

    That assumes that you have a long stem. I think most bikes come with 90mm stems so if you have one of those then go the riser route.

    Actually, why don't you look into getting bar ends? You typically have to look higher up when you're climbing. With bar ends you'll be able to get a higher, more comfortable position when you climb.
    Ive been riding for 2 months steadily 30 then 47 miles on trails, but I have been riding my whole life. I think you are saying that my neck will strengthen up a bit over time.
    I have bar ends. They saved my hands from punishment actually but not my neck. Maybe its the stem. Id bet its more than 90mm. From center of stem on bar to center of bolt on stem its like over 100mm but not quite 110mm and not 105mm either.

    A short 90mm stem with a 15 degree rise might be nice?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    state college, PA
    My Bikes
    xo-1, riv atlantis, witcomb fixie, on-one inbred, bridgestone mb-1 w/ drops, bianchi reparto corse mtn bike, trek 650b'd touring bike
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i blah blah your bike doesnt fit, and that its too small, so the bars are too low. 15 degree stems knacker steering up hills, and make handling just crappy in general. if you think you need to stick with yer current frame size, i would check out on-one's mary bar, which sweeps way back but not up, putting you in a more ergnomic riding position...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelugs
    i blah blah your bike doesnt fit, and that its too small, so the bars are too low. 15 degree stems knacker steering up hills, and make handling just crappy in general. if you think you need to stick with yer current frame size, i would check out on-one's mary bar, which sweeps way back but not up, putting you in a more ergnomic riding position...

    I have a 19.5 and Im 5'10. So is it really too small? I have a long horizontal top tube. I think the bike is too big thats why I want to shorten the stem! Yet my seat is high.

  6. #6
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelugs
    i would check out on-one's mary bar, which sweeps way back but not up, putting you in a more ergnomic riding position...
    If he doesn't like the sweep of a riser bar, why recommend a bar with an exaggerated sweep design?

    To the OP, you can find different sweep angles on different riser bars. I actually prefer more sweep as it puts my hands in a more natural position (better ergonomics).
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  7. #7
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,513
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile
    I have a 19.5 and Im 5'10. So is it really too small? I have a long horizontal top tube. I think the bike is too big thats why I want to shorten the stem! Yet my seat is high.
    Have you been fitted for the bike or were just convinced by a sales clerk that it was perfect for you. Not knowing your inseam length it's tough to judge whether or not the 19.5 is the right size for you. I think it may be too big. I'm 5'9 and use a 17".

    Take the time to go to one of the online bike fitting services out there like http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/default.asp and see what numbers you get. This might be able to help you.
    First Class Jerk

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    Have you been fitted for the bike or were just convinced by a sales clerk that it was perfect for you. Not knowing your inseam length it's tough to judge whether or not the 19.5 is the right size for you. I think it may be too big. I'm 5'9 and use a 17".

    Take the time to go to one of the online bike fitting services out there like http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/default.asp and see what numbers you get. This might be able to help you.
    No I wasnt fitted. After riding 5 bikes in the area bike stores, I sat on this bike and it was love at first sit. It still feels fantastic when I get on it after 10 YEARS of owning this bike, its 4 hours later that I feel it. Also my seat post is up really high 7" up from seat clamp to top of seat post. If I was on a 17" the seatpost would be a foot outta the frame. I don't know if thats good or bad.

  9. #9
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,972
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check these out: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5250

    I clicked your link and the bar you linked to has a 5 degree sweep to it. (check the Specs tab), most of the riser bars have either 8 or 9 degree sweeps. The bar I linked to only has a 3 degree sweep.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
    Check these out: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5250

    I clicked your link and the bar you linked to has a 5 degree sweep to it. (check the Specs tab), most of the riser bars have either 8 or 9 degree sweeps. The bar I linked to only has a 3 degree sweep.
    OOOOO its only $34 too I just may get that!
    Thanks

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    state college, PA
    My Bikes
    xo-1, riv atlantis, witcomb fixie, on-one inbred, bridgestone mb-1 w/ drops, bianchi reparto corse mtn bike, trek 650b'd touring bike
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
    If he doesn't like the sweep of a riser bar, why recommend a bar with an exaggerated sweep design?

    To the OP, you can find different sweep angles on different riser bars. I actually prefer more sweep as it puts my hands in a more natural position (better ergonomics).
    because he doesnt like up sweep, and the mary doesnt have any. and didnt i bring up the topic of ergonomics in relation to the mary bar?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    state college, PA
    My Bikes
    xo-1, riv atlantis, witcomb fixie, on-one inbred, bridgestone mb-1 w/ drops, bianchi reparto corse mtn bike, trek 650b'd touring bike
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, bikes can be two small in various areas. ie on-ones have a monster long top tube, but low stand-over and short headtubes, making the fit funky. konas on the other hand, and specialized to an extent, have longer headtubes, raising the handlebars. you need more sweep, higher bars. less sweep will not only knacker your neck, but also the bikes steering will become twitchier, and your ulnar nerve will come under pressure, causing your fingers to go numb.

  13. #13
    yes... You're on my left jstream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI (east side)
    My Bikes
    Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say play with the rise and length of the stem first. If that fixes the problem, fine, if it only partially fixes the problem, then look at new (riser) bars as well. These are all steps I went through in the process of fitting my bike, and ended up with both. It doesn't really matter what others may say about looks, what matters is riding a bike that feels great. Period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •