In the Mid 90's I was really into mountain biking, I was a mechanic at a LBS and I pretty much lived for riding. I have recently gotten back into it after a 10 year hiatus. Its funny how things have changed.
10 years ago:
1. The hot new bike was the Gary Fisher Level Betty. All my buddies wanted one.
2. I had an AMP research, a Klien (pre trek) and a Griffen.
3. When building a bike, you had to chose what color for your anodised aluminum parts.
4. There were no freeride, or dirt jump bikes. Only XC and downhill.
5. Mountain Cycle San Andreas, & Foes Fab were the DH bikes to have.
6. Elastomers were the BEST.
7. ZZYXX forks!
8. Trek "Y" bikes
9. 8 speed was too expensive for many. 6 speed was acceptable.
10. The value of a bike was determined by how light it was.