Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Bay Area Texan
    Guest

    what are mountain bikes to stay away from?

    like I mentioned in my first post,I have been absent from riding for 10 years....I know it's about personal tastes....but I just want to stay away from "trendy" mountain bikes............I have been looking at kona,gt,fisher,specialized stumpjumper (I always wanted one of those).....or either bontrager but honestly,I can't find one anywhere and back in the day,that was my holy grail of bikes.....Thanks

  2. #2
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Texan
    like I mentioned in my first post,I have been absent from riding for 10 years....I know it's about personal tastes....but I just want to stay away from "trendy" mountain bikes............I have been looking at kona,gt,fisher,specialized stumpjumper (I always wanted one of those).....or either bontrager but honestly,I can't find one anywhere and back in the day,that was my holy grail of bikes.....Thanks

    I don't remember your budget or target riding type.

    I dont quite understand what you meant by wanting to stay away from 'trendy' bikes either.

    If you ask me, Cannondale makes some great bikes, and they often don't get the credit they deserve. You'll pay a small premium for a Cannondale, but you get a top-notch bike.

  3. #3
    ಠ_ಠ DevilsGT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SF
    My Bikes
    One of the first Aluminum Rockhoppers to come with front suspension.
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of those would be fine I think, add to that Trek. You can't go too wrong so long as you stay away from toy store bikes.
    Singletrack Mind

  4. #4
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bike to stay away from?????Mine!.....
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Texan
    or either bontrager but honestly,I can't find one anywhere and back in the day,that was my holy grail of bikes.....Thanks
    bontrager hasn't built a bike in a while.. they are owned by trek and the name appears on parts on trek, klein, gary fisher, and lemond bikes.

  6. #6
    Bay Area Texan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashVector
    I don't remember your budget or target riding type.

    I dont quite understand what you meant by wanting to stay away from 'trendy' bikes either.

    If you ask me, Cannondale makes some great bikes, and they often don't get the credit they deserve. You'll pay a small premium for a Cannondale, but you get a top-notch bike.
    well,my budget is 1000 dollars........and what I meant by trendy is bikes that the more "upper eshalante" people ride but are not serious riders when it comes to riding in the woods...they would rather ride because it matches their bike clothing...did that make more sense?

  7. #7
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Texan
    well,my budget is 1000 dollars........and what I meant by trendy is bikes that the more "upper eshalante" people ride but are not serious riders when it comes to riding in the woods...they would rather ride because it matches their bike clothing...did that make more sense?
    With a budget of $1000 you can only really look at a hardtail. After that your list of bikes are fine.

    There is no such thing as a bike that is exclusive to posers so don't get hung up on anything like that. Just pick the bike that feels the best to you.
    First Class Jerk

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Texan
    well,my budget is 1000 dollars........and what I meant by trendy is bikes that the more "upper eshalante" people ride but are not serious riders when it comes to riding in the woods...they would rather ride because it matches their bike clothing...did that make more sense?
    Nah dude, those are the roadies.

    Of course.. if your doing it right, your bike and clothing should look uniform anyways. A dirt brown of course

  9. #9
    Custom User never's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    T0L0K0
    Posts
    3,739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Texan
    well,my budget is 1000 dollars........and what I meant by trendy is bikes that the more "upper eshalante" people ride but are not serious riders when it comes to riding in the woods...they would rather ride because it matches their bike clothing...did that make more sense?
    If you're worried about what other people ride, then you're no better. Just get a bike that fits you, feels comfortable, is fun to ride, and is in your price range.

  10. #10
    Noob ScareyH22A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    My Bikes
    '06 Trek 8500
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of riding? XC?

  11. #11
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,476
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pheard, where's that South Park you made of me? Now's a good time to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  12. #12
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Texan
    well,my budget is 1000 dollars........and what I meant by trendy is bikes that the more "upper eshalante" people ride but are not serious riders when it comes to riding in the woods...they would rather ride because it matches their bike clothing...did that make more sense?


    yes. You mean people that ride a particular bike b/c of the "bling factor". Sort of like the same people that drive riced-up hyundai's and expect people to be impressed by their wal-mart spinners.

    except in the case of BIKES...they go out and buy the most expensive bike they can find simply because they think it gives them an automatic repuation as being "hardcore".

    yeah...I know those types. I hate them with a passion.

  13. #13
    It is what it is... Minesbroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 6500 w/ stuff
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are alot of people in here who are easily bothered.
    but I think they will all agree that you should stay away from toy store bikes.
    sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

    myspace
    myplace
    my bike

  14. #14
    Banned. John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from JCPenney bikes.

    Only poseurs ride them.


  15. #15
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those blue socks rock.

  16. #16
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minesbroken
    There are alot of people in here who are easily bothered.
    but I think they will all agree that you should stay away from toy store bikes.
    Or anything with a "y" frame.

  17. #17
    No longer in Wimbledon... womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Texan
    well,my budget is 1000 dollars........and what I meant by trendy is bikes that the more "upper eshalante" people ride but are not serious riders when it comes to riding in the woods...they would rather ride because it matches their bike clothing...did that make more sense?
    1000 isn't going to get you anything near what your definition of "trendy" appears to be. It'll get you a safely midrange bike from most manufacturers.

    Most mountain bikers who are prepared to put down serious money for a bike are pretty keen riders- there's not much point to posing out on dirt trails as nobody else can see you. As someone else pointed out, you are probably confusing mountain bikers with a subset of roadies.

    You're basically worried about something that really doesn't matter in the mountain biking world.

  18. #18
    Bay Area Texan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashVector
    yes. You mean people that ride a particular bike b/c of the "bling factor". Sort of like the same people that drive riced-up hyundai's and expect people to be impressed by their wal-mart spinners.

    except in the case of BIKES...they go out and buy the most expensive bike they can find simply because they think it gives them an automatic repuation as being "hardcore".

    yeah...I know those types. I hate them with a passion.
    yes,that's exactly the answer I was looking for...........end thread

  19. #19
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Texan
    yes,that's exactly the answer I was looking for...........end thread
    Then in that case if you don't want to buy a bike that may make you look like a poser then head to your local Wal-Mart and buy something there. There is no chance that a poser will be caught dead with that.
    First Class Jerk

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stay away from konas. Trust me.

  21. #21
    Bay Area Texan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    1000 isn't going to get you anything near what your definition of "trendy" appears to be. It'll get you a safely midrange bike from most manufacturers.

    Most mountain bikers who are prepared to put down serious money for a bike are pretty keen riders- there's not much point to posing out on dirt trails as nobody else can see you. As someone else pointed out, you are probably confusing mountain bikers with a subset of roadies.

    You're basically worried about something that really doesn't matter in the mountain biking world.
    but I disagree,back in the late 80's and early 90's in marin county (mountain bike snob capital of the world), you just simply weren't cool if you didn't have a Rithchey, Bontrager, or a Fisher (what they rode) and if you pedal up to them on something like.........sayyyyy a specialized "rock hopper",you basically get laughed at....well,I assume you guys are younger than me (39) and I'm glad to see mountain bikers have lightened up a bit around here about what people here ride............................thanks for the info there..............eh?

  22. #22
    NCAA - DUAL CHAMPIONS! a2psyklnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    From Sarasota, FL sitting in front of a computer spewing random thoughts!
    My Bikes
    Intense Uzzi SL, Masi Speciale, Trek 3700 Nashbar Single Speed, Old Cilo Road frame
    Posts
    7,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that 10 to 15 years ago, suspension technology wasn't what it is now. Back then companies were trying to put shocks where ever they could to make their bikes look cool.

    That was also the time of purple, green and gold anodized parts heyday!

    Now that suspension design has become more refined, you get less of the "look down your nose" treatment.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
    "Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger

  23. #23
    Banned. John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Texan
    but I disagree,back in the late 80's and early 90's in marin county (mountain bike snob capital of the world), you just simply weren't cool if you didn't have a Rithchey, Bontrager, or a Fisher (what they rode) and if you pedal up to them on something like.........sayyyyy a specialized "rock hopper",you basically get laughed at....well,I assume you guys are younger than me (39) and I'm glad to see mountain bikers have lightened up a bit around here about what people here ride............................thanks for the info there..............eh?
    That's your perception.

    Why do you care what other people think about something that is so meaningless as a bike?

    BTW, I worked and rode in Marin at that time and our groups were a mixed bag from low-end Bridgestones, Specializeds and Treks to custom Ibi all the way up to Merlins and I never saw any of this "snobbery" that has you so concerned.

  24. #24
    Fourth Degree Legend junkyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    American Gardens Building
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix
    Posts
    3,826
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    buy a bike that fits you and your intended purpose. ride it. period.
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    The caveat with a strap-on, of course, is you will have to get creative with a couple of lock cables and an anchor point

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Phoenix
    My Bikes
    1994 Schwinn Proline (Hoffman's original) 2006 Kona Kula Deluxe
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bike matches both my Audi and my Gucci shoes that I wear riding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •