Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
  1. #1
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thread Closed to Questions.

    sorry, thread closed
    Last edited by CrashVector; 10-01-06 at 03:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Dismember harov3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    My Bikes
    Kona Kikapu/hoss deluxe mix, 1950's Malvern Star gent 28" turned into a stealth commuter with drums and a three speed.
    Posts
    695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to have a problem keeping up with my fifteen year old son and his sixteen year old cousin going uphill. Worse my 40 y/o (A triathelete) brother in law whip my ass on the same hills. Do have cure for being closer to fifty than 40? No?
    Mmmmm...shiney new parts...mmmm

  3. #3
    ninja scr1be's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    massachusetts
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a rash. it would probably be best if i could just email you pictures instead of explaining myself.
    trek bruiser 1

  4. #4
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harov3
    I seem to have a problem keeping up with my fifteen year old son and his sixteen year old cousin going uphill. Worse my 40 y/o (A triathelete) brother in law whip my ass on the same hills. Do have cure for being closer to fifty than 40? No?
    LOL!


    Good one...lol


    Just a reminder, I'm not offering cures or even a diagnosis..just advice.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Drunken Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Spain, although I'm Hungarian
    My Bikes
    Check signature
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here's my query, I'll try and keep it as short as possible:

    In February my kneecaps started brushing the femurs and getting caught on it and overall just crunching and moving like crap. I went to the doc's, had an MRI done, no visible problems, made me do fisiotherapy to strenghten quads, didn't work, went to doc's again and he told me to take cartilage regenerating tables for 2-3 months and if that doesn't work then I'll get Ibuprofen injections into my knees.
    I do try and do some exercise but it's extremely difficult since my knees hurt after 5 minutes of jogging or 15 minutes of swimming. Do you think it's OK to keep going for another 5-15 minutes after my knees have started hurting?
    Oh and do Ibuprofen injections really cause problems when you're older?

    Sorry for the complicated questions, I won't be upset if you can't answer them since the doc himself seemed rather puzzled with my situation.

    2005 Ironhorse 7.3
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport

  6. #6
    Throw the stick!!!! LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    My Bikes
    GMC Denali
    Posts
    17,586
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've got a question. What is the doctor going to tell me if it does last more than four hours? Is he going to send a camera crew?
    I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.

  7. #7
    Flatland hack Flak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nowhere near the mountains :/
    Posts
    3,230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't stop twitching, and i keep hearing voices telling me to burn things. It's really distracting me from riding.

  8. #8
    later free_pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my legs hurt

  9. #9
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Chicken
    Well, here's my query, I'll try and keep it as short as possible:

    In February my kneecaps started brushing the femurs and getting caught on it and overall just crunching and moving like crap. I went to the doc's, had an MRI done, no visible problems, made me do fisiotherapy to strenghten quads, didn't work, went to doc's again and he told me to take cartilage regenerating tables for 2-3 months and if that doesn't work then I'll get Ibuprofen injections into my knees.
    I do try and do some exercise but it's extremely difficult since my knees hurt after 5 minutes of jogging or 15 minutes of swimming. Do you think it's OK to keep going for another 5-15 minutes after my knees have started hurting?
    Oh and do Ibuprofen injections really cause problems when you're older?

    Sorry for the complicated questions, I won't be upset if you can't answer them since the doc himself seemed rather puzzled with my situation.


    Okay....first of all, sorry to hear you're having repeated problems.

    Second: you need to go see a specialist about your knees. Your primary care physician probably cannot figure out what is going on, and it taking stabs in the dark to try and resolve the issue.

    Find a doctor in your area that specializes in orthopedics, and go see him instead.

    I think the injections you are referring to are probably some kind of steroid, not ibuprofen. Most of the time, in cases like yours that the doctor cannot figure out, they start just injecting people with steroids hoping they can fix whatever is wrong. The steroids contain a small amount of an analgesic like lidocaine or benzocaine that stops the pain for a few hours.

    I do not specialize in orthotics, so I cannot say for sure what is going on, other than it sounds like you are having an issuse possibly with your patellar tendon being too short, or your quads being too tight (not flexible enough). I would recommend rigorous stretching, ice, compression bandage to control abnormal movement of your patella (kneecap) and that you go see a specialist if it doesnt stop.
    Last edited by CrashVector; 10-01-06 at 12:06 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member valbowski1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Waterford/Trumbull, CT
    My Bikes
    Iron Horse Rogue / Mongoose ALD Pro / Fuji Sunfire
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My shoulders hurt when I sit in front of a computer or spend a long time driving. It's kind of a numb feel with a slight tingle. When I get up and move around for a bit it goes away. It comes back pretty quickly when I get back to work though. Any suggestions or is this more of an ergonomic matter?

    Thanks in advance Doc

  11. #11
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valbowski1980
    My shoulders hurt when I sit in front of a computer or spend a long time driving. It's kind of a numb feel with a slight tingle. When I get up and move around for a bit it goes away. It comes back pretty quickly when I get back to work though. Any suggestions or is this more of an ergonomic matter?

    Thanks in advance Doc



    This is a little hard to figure out, and I cannot really give any advice, but it sounds like a displaced nerve or blood vessel that is getting pinched off when you slump your shoulders. Give it some time, and see a doctor if it doesnt get better.
    Last edited by CrashVector; 10-01-06 at 03:17 PM.

  12. #12
    Obeying Gravity
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    I've got a question. What is the doctor going to tell me if it does last more than four hours? Is he going to send a camera crew?
    No, he'll probably come over and see for himself

  13. #13
    DEADBEEF khuon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Posts
    12,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hurts when I do this.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

  14. #14
    MTB Patriot
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Junction City, Kansas
    My Bikes
    Trek 3700, 2005 model year
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Location: United States Originally Posted by GreenLightGoWill Glucosamine work for Plantar Fasciatis too?


    LOL!!! I need to start a "ask CrashVector your biking-related medical problems" thread..lol


    To answer your question, plantar fasciitis (not making fun of you, but that is actually the proper spelling) is inflammation of the fascia (a layer of fibrous connective tissue) that connects the heel of your foot to the base of your toes. This band support the arch of your feet and allows it to flex to absorb shock while preventing dislocation of the metatarsal bones.

    I cannot give a specific diagnosis without first knowing what caused your problem in the first place. What I mean is, the cause can range from having flat arches to inflexible gastrocnemius (calf) muscles to mechanical injury due to dropping something on the dorsal surface of your foot.

    As a manner of course, prescription-strength NSAID pain relivers like ibuprofen, rest, and proper stretching of the achilles tendon are generic treatments....but again, without knowing the specific cause, I cannot make an accurate guess as to what the exact remedy would be.

    If you are flat-footed, you need to see a specialist about possibly getting some orthotic inserts for your shoes.
    Thanks. I've had PF (since I can't spell) for the last 16 years, but have, through the right shoes and agressive management, not really had a problem for 4-5 years.

    I've got a high arch but roll out on my foot so the outer edge wears out first. Because of my foot type, I have to run super cushioned shoes, I've been pretty loyal to Adidas for the past 4-5 years and they have served me well. In June, it was time for new kicks so I ordered a set of Supernova cushioned - then started having problems. I recently went to a local store and was measured for another pair of shoes, come to find out that even though I wear a 10.5-11, the ball of my foot measures out at a 12 and all along, the width of my foot has been riding about .5 inches ahead of the maximum width of the shoe. I'm back in a new pair of Asics Gel Nimbus and am running 2-3 miles about 2-3 times a week. Pain isn't any worse, so that's a good sign. I'll just have to take it easy another 4-6 weeks and should be good. At it's worst, I was getting cortisone/steroid shots and could barely walk (1993).

    I think my stretching is good, a few months ago, I had a bought with shin splints, but not the normal kind, this was the soleus muscle but that was driven by a sharp up turn in my running distance/intensity. I modified stretching techniques and cut back the distance to alleviate the strain.

    I've put 120 miles on the bike this month just to keep up the cardio intensity but not being able to run like I want is hard for me. If I keep up this pace, I'll be killing a rear tire every 2 months. The Panaracers don't take well to the pavement (trip to and from the 4.8 mile riverwalk trail).

  15. #15
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,727
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is in your avitar? It's killing me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  16. #16
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    Who is in your avitar? It's killing me.

    THAT....is a secret lol

  17. #17
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Location: United States Originally Posted by GreenLightGoWill Glucosamine work for Plantar Fasciatis too?




    Thanks. I've had PF (since I can't spell) for the last 16 years, but have, through the right shoes and agressive management, not really had a problem for 4-5 years.

    I've got a high arch but roll out on my foot so the outer edge wears out first. Because of my foot type, I have to run super cushioned shoes, I've been pretty loyal to Adidas for the past 4-5 years and they have served me well. In June, it was time for new kicks so I ordered a set of Supernova cushioned - then started having problems. I recently went to a local store and was measured for another pair of shoes, come to find out that even though I wear a 10.5-11, the ball of my foot measures out at a 12 and all along, the width of my foot has been riding about .5 inches ahead of the maximum width of the shoe. I'm back in a new pair of Asics Gel Nimbus and am running 2-3 miles about 2-3 times a week. Pain isn't any worse, so that's a good sign. I'll just have to take it easy another 4-6 weeks and should be good. At it's worst, I was getting cortisone/steroid shots and could barely walk (1993).

    I think my stretching is good, a few months ago, I had a bought with shin splints, but not the normal kind, this was the soleus muscle but that was driven by a sharp up turn in my running distance/intensity. I modified stretching techniques and cut back the distance to alleviate the strain.

    I've put 120 miles on the bike this month just to keep up the cardio intensity but not being able to run like I want is hard for me. If I keep up this pace, I'll be killing a rear tire every 2 months. The Panaracers don't take well to the pavement (trip to and from the 4.8 mile riverwalk trail).

    Have you considered having your PF released surgically? It's a relatively minor procedure where the facia is loosened a bit, which usually resolves the problem permanantly.

  18. #18
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,727
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashVector
    THAT....is a secret lol


    ^^^^^^^^^^------------- < flat line, cardiac arrest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    93
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok. this is probably simple, but here goes.

    I have knee pain when I ride for aout the first 5 miles or so. Regardless of how much I stretch or warm up it always takes about 5 miles for it to ease away. I ordered some stuff called "moto911" thats a spray that is supposed to help warm the muscles. Any help? or ridicule?
    signatutes are overrated.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this thread is a violation of HIPAA.

  21. #21
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoine
    I think this thread is a violation of HIPAA.
    lol

    if that were so, all the "ask dr (blank)" websites would be against hipaa as well, along with WebMD. None of them give a diagnosis, and neither am I. I AM allowed to give suggestions as towards what recommendation I would suggest for minor common problems like stretching properly to avoid aggravating an injury, or to even give anatomical descriptions of a proposed injury, but I cannot legally give a diagnosis without being able to actually SEE the person. I understand your concern, and I thought about that before I decided to make this thread. That is the reason why I asked that the question be kept light and made it absolutely clear that I could not diagnose a problem even if it WAS legal because I cannot physically SEE anything, and am relying on my knowledge of anatomy and physiology alone to give suggestions as to how a particular pain can be alleviated temporarily, or in the case of an obvious problem (like lowcell's knee bruise) how to avoid repeated problems with the same.

    that is specifically the reason why I said I cannot give a diagnosis...only ADVICE because ive seen quite a bit of bad advice given recently.
    Last edited by CrashVector; 10-01-06 at 02:21 PM.

  22. #22
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushguy
    ok. this is probably simple, but here goes.

    I have knee pain when I ride for aout the first 5 miles or so. Regardless of how much I stretch or warm up it always takes about 5 miles for it to ease away. I ordered some stuff called "moto911" thats a spray that is supposed to help warm the muscles. Any help? or ridicule?

    Just go easy on your warmup. A good rule of thumb is to warm up until you are sweating lightly.

  23. #23
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks to mcoine, I am not going to answer any more questions.

    Some jerk always has to ruin a good thing. Here I am trying to keep someone from possibly getting some bad advice, and mcoine comes and tries to ruin a good thread for everyone.

    For the record...giving generalized, sound advice to someone is NOT against HIPAA regulations. But, since you wanna imply that you have a problem with it, and I do not need any problems, I am ending the thread. By your own definition, every time you tell someone "oh..just take a Tylenol for that headache" you are also violating HIPAA regulations because you are NOT a doctor and do not have medical training.

    Since everyone knows the forum is public, the confidentiality part of void as well.

    HIPAA prevents healthcare providers from giving a specific diagnosis to a patient without seeing said patient for a comprehensive diagnostic visit......not from providing general sound medical advice on common problems or minor things such as scrapes, sprains, or things of that nature that generally do not require a doctor's visit to repair or treat, or for which there are OTC medications designed for mitigation of symptoms. They also allow a medical professional to give their OPINION about what he would do himself in a certain situation as far as seeking further care.

    Good job.
    Last edited by CrashVector; 10-01-06 at 04:12 PM.

  24. #24
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I do "this" is it bad for me?
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  25. #25
    Banned. CrashVector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    United States
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven
    Posts
    409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
    If I do "this" is it bad for me?
    lol..probably...knowing you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •