Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-06, 01:09 PM   #1
smurfy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
smurfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Bikes:
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Monster Cross

While reading the MTBR forums I was intrigued by the thread on Monster Cross bikes. Apparently this seems to be a new sub-category of cyclocross bikes but are mainly used for mtn biking than 'cross racing (too heavy). I guess the main attributes of these bikes are room for 700x42 (and larger) tires and frame geometry is closer to a 'cross bike rather than a 29'' mtn bike, or maybe something in between the two. Also drop h/bars or a variation of such as an On-One Midge or Mungo, or maybe a moustache bar.

I imagine the most obvious example of a "monster cross" would be the Surly Karate Monkey and I guess the Rivendell Atlantis would qualify, too . A friend of mine who works at the LBS has a KM and it looks awesome. I don't own one but I did test-ride one (1x9, dics brakes) and it is sweet.

Any other frames out there that would be a monster cross? I was wondering if mainstream bike manufacturers will jump on the bandwagon and make a complete bike like this?
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-06, 01:15 PM   #2
John Galt
Banned.
 
John Galt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy
Apparently this seems to be a new sub-category of cyclocross bikes but are mainly used for mtn biking than 'cross racing (too heavy). I guess the main attributes of these bikes are room for 700x42 (and larger) tires and frame geometry is closer to a 'cross bike rather than a 29'' mtn bike, or maybe something in between the two. Also drop h/bars or a variation of such as an On-One Midge or Mungo, or maybe a moustache bar.
That sounds more like a marketing effort to create another "new" sub-category of bike rather than a real change.

I've run my Hakkalugi with 45c tires and used it for mountain biking for a relatively long time...
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 01:24 PM   #3
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
This is a thread that needs to be bumped back up.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 08:31 PM   #4
M_S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A cross style bike with larger than cross race tires is good for mixed pavement and dirt rides, and dirt roads, but pales in comparison to an actual mountain bike once the trails get technical. Not that you can't do it, it just isn't optimal equipment.

That said, here's my cross bike with 700x42 ritchey speedmaxes. I have since replaced the gossamer cranks with a raceface cadence, changed the chainring from 38t to 42, added a BBG bash guard, and replaced the long cage ultegra derailleur with a short cage.

When more trail and less road is involved I run a panaracer fire cross 700 x 45 on the front.

M_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 10:53 PM   #5
sirtigersalot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've run my cross bike with 38s and plenty of room to spare did some xc, worked just fine super fast, but my hands get tired, the hoods arn't the best hand position for taking bumps and braking is way harder (cantis vs hyro disc lol) not that i can't stop just my hands were hurting by the end of it, I also run a 1x9 with a bash

I think basically any non-high end frame would be fine, the fancy frames with the 130 rear hub instead of the 135 have tighter clearances
sirtigersalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 10:19 AM   #6
M_S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
?

Almost all cross bikes use 130 (road) spacing, especially if not designed for disc use. This includes my decidedly not high end K2 pictured above. The width of the hub doesn't really have anything to do with the tire clearance. On most bikes the limiting factor is the chainstays. With a perfectly true wheel I could fit a marginally bigger tire than pictured, but not by a lot. The seatstays and fork have gobs of clearance, though. But evry bike is different.

The surly crosscheck is kind of the standard in monster cross use, since it's super sturdy, can take road or mountain hubs, is singlespeed and geared compatible, and hass clearance for 45mm fire cross tires front and rear. There are some other good options too, though, and disc brakes can be nice for "monster cross." You can even start with a rigid 29er frame if it has acceptable geo.
M_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 10:36 AM   #7
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_S View Post
?

Almost all cross bikes use 130 (road) spacing, especially if not designed for disc use. This includes my decidedly not high end K2 pictured above. The width of the hub doesn't really have anything to do with the tire clearance. On most bikes the limiting factor is the chainstays. With a perfectly true wheel I could fit a marginally bigger tire than pictured, but not by a lot. The seatstays and fork have gobs of clearance, though. But evry bike is different.

The surly crosscheck is kind of the standard in monster cross use, since it's super sturdy, can take road or mountain hubs, is singlespeed and geared compatible, and hass clearance for 45mm fire cross tires front and rear. There are some other good options too, though, and disc brakes can be nice for "monster cross." You can even start with a rigid 29er frame if it has acceptable geo.
I thought the true Monster bikes, if there really is one, were cyclocross bikes not MTBs. Isn't a 700C MTB called a 29'r? So, is there a difference between a Monster Cross bike and drop bar 29'r?
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 11:20 AM   #8
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find it comical that a bike labeled "Monster Bike" when put side by side with D's Blindside would resemble a cowering road bike. I think they should retract the "Monster bike" label and just call it a crosser with the differences listed.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 01:46 PM   #9
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
I find it comical that a bike labeled "Monster Bike" when put side by side with D's Blindside would resemble a cowering road bike. I think they should retract the "Monster bike" label and just call it a crosser with the differences listed.
A pic of D's Blindside sure would help.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 01:48 PM   #10
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 09:22 PM   #11
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
WOW, you're right. That is one BAD ASS looking bike.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 09:24 PM   #12
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
BAD ASS
Fit's the rider
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 AM.