ok, i'm basically an XC rider, but i also love technical trails and downhilling...
last year i had 4 crashes and hurt my shoulder 3 times (just scratches and bruises and bleeding, no breaks) and broke both my left and right index fingers...
i bought shin/leg guards last year and like them a lot - the lightweight Dianese with 3-velco straps for easy on-off.
i also have basic full-finger gloves (Answer) with thick reinforced pads for finger support on the back side, but they're really not much protection.
so the question is:
are there any other protectors i should really consider?
* thicker more protective gloves? i don't really know what there is
* elbow pads? i don't really seem to hurt the elbows much
* full face helmet? they are SO expensive and since i would only need it some of the time i would think i would want the removable kind (i think someone makes one) but doesn't seem like it's worth it for mostly XC and occaisonal downhill - i mean i'll have to carry that extra weight and sweat with it on too
* torso? there are various chest/torso intergrated shirt/jackets. they all semm pretty expensive.
* back supporter or whatever those guys wear fo rmotorcross - who really needs that?
* is there any was to get just shoulder protection without having to buy an expensive and heavy motorcross type suit?
i guess better gloves and maybe shoulder pads i would be the most interested but i don't know what's avaiable...