Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Hazardous biker Ricardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    My Bikes
    2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My Avid BB7 discs are rubbing against the pads

    Guys,

    The subject line speaks for itself. I got the 160mm discs from Pricepoint and installed them both and both discs rub against the pads. Is that normal? Both discs rub against the pads at certain point. What can I do to 'true' the rotors?

    Thanks,

    Ricardo
    Last edited by Ricardo; 01-12-07 at 11:18 AM.

  2. #2
    Obeying Gravity
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo
    Guys,

    The subject line speaks for itself. I got the 160mm discs from Pricepoint and installed them both and both discs rub against the pads. Is that normal? Both discs rub against the pads at certain point. What can I do to 'true' the rotors?

    Thanks,

    Ricardo
    As Hank has so wonderfully put it a few times:


  3. #3
    Senior Member FreeRidin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boulderado
    My Bikes
    Intense SS, Old spesh P series, ski/snow bike, fixie conversion
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well your rotors are brand spanking new so are you sure they are bent?

    Try playing around with the red wheel adjuster what-nots on the sides of the calliper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer B
    The way I ride requires the most advanced, toughest wheelset's available.

    Chicago Freeride

  4. #4
    In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo
    . . . both discs rub against the pads.
    Actually, it's the other way around. The pads are rubbing against the discs. Your brakes came with a good set of instructions. Follow them. Make sure your caliper placement is set up (shimmed) exactly like the instructions say; THEN adjust your inner and outer pads.

  5. #5
    Rat Bastard mcoomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sammamish, WA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper
    Posts
    1,500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also need to make sure that you have the rotor mounts torqued to the same spec. If one is quite a bit different the rotor will flex. Assuming the rotor isn't warped, you should be able to get them trued up and get your calipers set so that nothing is rubbing.
    It's better to burn out than fade away...or slip out of your pedal and face plant on the side of the road!!!

    '06 Cannondale Prophet
    '08 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper
    '09 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL2

  6. #6
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must follow the BB7 installation instructions very carefully. Most times when I've read someone having problems immediately after installation, it is usually due to how it was installed. I know because I had the same problem. I scanned through the instructions and missed a crucial step. Once I followed the instructions properly it was like butter.

    Edit: Typos and poor grammar.
    Last edited by santiago; 12-13-06 at 01:40 PM.
    First Class Jerk

  7. #7
    PBR Racing RIC0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wifes $hit List
    My Bikes
    KHS and Cannondale
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have older brake lines they might need replaced. When replacing both my front and rear brakes they didn't have the smooth pull to them like the POS stockers did. After installing fresh cables the difference was awesome... Just an FYI

  8. #8
    Hazardous biker Ricardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    My Bikes
    2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well guys,
    thanks for the recommendations. I've installed the brakes TWICE per the instructions. Step by step all the way yet they are rubbing. The torque thing might be the cause. I dont have a proper Torx wrench with the gadget to measure the proper torque. Where can I find one?

    Thanks,

    Ricardo

  9. #9
    In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the rotor contact the slot in the caliper body at any point in its rotation (pads backed off all the way)? If so, you don't have your 2/3 - 1/3 gap set right yet:

    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...d7_English.pdf - Page 7

    Sometimes you still need to shim between the disc tabs and the adapter slightly because there is not eough side-to-side adjustment to locate the caliper properly.
    Last edited by dminor; 12-13-06 at 05:04 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Aye, its not as stylish as an adjustable wrench, but gets the job done.

  11. #11
    PBR Racing RIC0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wifes $hit List
    My Bikes
    KHS and Cannondale
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ricardo your missing something here man. I can't figure out how a brand new set of calipers and rotors are having problems. Can you take some pics???

    I just installed a rear bb7 on my bike last night with no problems at all. Swapped over my cassette to my new wheelset also...

  12. #12
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo
    Well guys,
    thanks for the recommendations. I've installed the brakes TWICE per the instructions. Step by step all the way yet they are rubbing. The torque thing might be the cause. I dont have a proper Torx wrench with the gadget to measure the proper torque. Where can I find one?

    Thanks,

    Ricardo
    this is likely NOT the problem.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Thor29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible that the rotor is bent. Spin the wheel and look at it and you should be able to tell. A little bit of motion is okay, maybe a millimeter or so, but more than that could be a problem. When you say they are rubbing, does that mean you have backed the pads out all the way and they are STILL rubbing? or are you trying to keep the pads too close to the rotors? All of this should be pretty obvious. Not to be a jerk or anything, but if you can't figure this one out then you might reconsider working on your own bike.

  14. #14
    Hazardous biker Ricardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    My Bikes
    2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    It is possible that the rotor is bent. Spin the wheel and look at it and you should be able to tell. A little bit of motion is okay, maybe a millimeter or so, but more than that could be a problem. When you say they are rubbing, does that mean you have backed the pads out all the way and they are STILL rubbing? or are you trying to keep the pads too close to the rotors? All of this should be pretty obvious. Not to be a jerk or anything, but if you can't figure this one out then you might reconsider working on your own bike.
    Well, if I back them all the way they dont rub at all but if I set them up per the instructions, they rub a little bit at certain point.

    Ricardo

  15. #15
    Hazardous biker Ricardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bogotá, Colombia
    My Bikes
    2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic
    Posts
    602
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor
    Does the rotor contact the slot in the caliper body at any point in its rotation (pads backed off all the way)? If so, you don't have your 2/3 - 1/3 gap set right yet:

    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...d7_English.pdf - Page 7

    Sometimes you still need to shim between the disc tabs and the adapter slightly because there is not eough side-to-side adjustment to locate the caliper properly.
    That is not the case, it rubs against the pads when they are set up according to the instructions.

    Ricardo

  16. #16
    Obeying Gravity
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your rotors may be alittle out of true. The rotor from my 07 Juicy 7 was a little whacked out of the box.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have to get the mounting tabs on the frame faced. Maybe they are not quite parallel or have paint build up. See link for further explanation:

    http://www.parktool.com/products/det...14&item=DT%2D1
    When all else fails, read the directions.


    Trek Fuel 90 FS
    Trek 9.8 Elite Carbon Hardtail

  18. #18
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Parker, 2005 Jamis Komodo, 1998 Jamis Komodo, 198? Raleigh Pointe, 1978 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2
    Posts
    10,929
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor
    Actually, it's the other way around. The pads are rubbing against the discs. Your brakes came with a good set of instructions. Follow them. Make sure your caliper placement is set up (shimmed) exactly like the instructions say; THEN adjust your inner and outer pads.

    Avid mounting system is "tri-align". You don't shim anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonbth
    You might have to get the mounting tabs on the frame faced. Maybe they are not quite parallel or have paint build up. See link for further explanation:
    Avid mounting system is "tri-align". You don't need to face the frame. (unless of course it's an extremely poorly made frame and way out of alignment)

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Avid mounting system is "tri-align". You don't need to face the frame. (unless of course it's an extremely poorly made frame and way out of alignment)

    Tri-align isn't going to help you if there is excessive paint build up. I think a couple millimeters would be enough to make the disc rub.
    When all else fails, read the directions.


    Trek Fuel 90 FS
    Trek 9.8 Elite Carbon Hardtail

  20. #20
    PBR Racing RIC0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wifes $hit List
    My Bikes
    KHS and Cannondale
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that bike looks like it's probably got clear coat over aluminum, no paint so that's not the problem.

    I think we have user error.

    I could see maybe the front having problems or just the rear because of something being bent but both front and back having problems. I don't think so.

  21. #21
    Senior Member digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia Canada
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS. Marinoni touring bike. Kona Tanuki. Specialized Harrock (commuter). Raleigh (early 80s) Super Gran Prix.
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have BB5s and according to my LBS there is ALWAYS a little bit of brakle pad rub against the rotor and there's nothing you can do about it.

    Especially since I like my pads as close as possible to the rotor, I have to put up with a small bit of rub. It is only on one spot while the wheel is spinning.
    Originally posted by Bones_McBones: Wow Digger, wow! You've earned my respect.... I know ashoposo got werked up. You are the gutter pig of Trollheim.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BB5s don't have the adjuster on both pads like the BB7s do. It's pretty fool proof to setting the BB7s up to not have rub unless there is a problem with the rotor or frame mounts.
    When all else fails, read the directions.


    Trek Fuel 90 FS
    Trek 9.8 Elite Carbon Hardtail

  23. #23
    Senior Member digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia Canada
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS. Marinoni touring bike. Kona Tanuki. Specialized Harrock (commuter). Raleigh (early 80s) Super Gran Prix.
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbth
    BB5s don't have the adjuster on both pads like the BB7s do. It's pretty fool proof to setting the BB7s up to not have rub unless there is a problem with the rotor or frame mounts.

    True. But just a question to help myself make sense of it:

    The BB5s do have an inboard pad adjuster and the outboard pad is adjusted using the cable barrel adjuster. What would be the difference in using the barrel Vs. a seperate outboard pad adjustment like on the BB7? Wouldn't both move the pad in and out anyway?
    Originally posted by Bones_McBones: Wow Digger, wow! You've earned my respect.... I know ashoposo got werked up. You are the gutter pig of Trollheim.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digger
    True. But just a question to help myself make sense of it:

    The BB5s do have an inboard pad adjuster and the outboard pad is adjusted using the cable barrel adjuster. What would be the difference in using the barrel Vs. a seperate outboard pad adjustment like on the BB7? Wouldn't both move the pad in and out anyway?

    The cable barrel adjuster is not used to adjust the pads. It is only to take slack out of the cable. BB7s are just easier to adjust.
    When all else fails, read the directions.


    Trek Fuel 90 FS
    Trek 9.8 Elite Carbon Hardtail

  25. #25
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rear brake makes a peculiar sound when I hold down the lever for a couple of seconds. It sounds like a wwII plane got shot down and makes that falling sound, if ya know what I mean. :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •