Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-06, 09:47 PM   #1
Crue4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bar end recommendations?

What are some good end bars that you guys use?

Also how do you install them? Do you have to cut your grip? or do they go over the end of the grip?

Where to find "end" caps for bars?



Thanks for helping a newbie out.
Crue4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 09:52 PM   #2
free_pizza
later
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can creek ergo control 2's.. sooooooooo nice, but quite expensive.



have them on my bike, they are awesome...
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 10:01 PM   #3
Bike Lover
Should be riding
 
Bike Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Extralite Ultra Ends. Only 28g per.

http://www.extralite.com/index_euro.htm
Bike Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 10:01 PM   #4
Crue4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those do look comfy.. I was thinking Carbon... hard to decide when you don't have access to a bike store that carries a lot of different options..
Crue4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 10:04 PM   #5
charlisity
is full of it.
 
charlisity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Eureka, CA Humboldt County
Bikes: Giant Yukon, Trek 1000, Schwinn Super Sport Comp, World Sport and Le Tour IV, Haro Cyclocross
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crue4
What are some good end bars that you guys use?

Also how do you install them? Do you have to cut your grip? or do they go over the end of the grip?

Where to find "end" caps for bars?
Any decent set will do fine. Decent ones will have bar-to-bar contact over most of the mounting surface. Cheap ones will have a rail-like construction that pinches tight to stay in place. This rail leads to a weaker connection and will damage your handlebar if you tighten it enough.

Installation method is a personal choice. I leave my grips full length so my hand position is just a tad closer together. Some don't like this and cut the grip to make up for the bar width. Its just a matter of taste.

Your bars should already come with end caps or be welded closed at the end. I never had to try, but regular bar caps might work here too.
charlisity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 10:04 PM   #6
WannaGetGood
Commited Suicide
 
WannaGetGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Abbotsford.BC
Bikes: 2001 Kona Stuff & 2004 Rocky Mountain Switch SL
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dangerboy.
WannaGetGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 03:08 AM   #7
jonbth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some Bontrager carbon bar ends that look and feel great.

http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Pa...ries/21368.php
jonbth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 06:36 AM   #8
RIC0
PBR Racing
 
RIC0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wifes $hit List
Bikes: Santa Cruz and Cannondale
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Single tracks are cheap and work great.
RIC0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 06:46 AM   #9
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC0
Single tracks are cheap and work great.
That's what I use, the ST-lites. They are extremely cheap, very light and work perfectly. Hard to beat them.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 08:07 AM   #10
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 17,968
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlisity
Any decent set will do fine. Decent ones will have bar-to-bar contact over most of the mounting surface. Cheap ones will have a rail-like construction that pinches tight to stay in place. This rail leads to a weaker connection and will damage your handlebar if you tighten it enough.
Every barend I've ever seen has a pinch clamp to hold them in place...even the cheapest ones. I have no idea what a "rail-like construction" is. A good cheap carbon barend are the Titec Plutos . I've owned other Titecs and have no complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlisity
Installation method is a personal choice. I leave my grips full length so my hand position is just a tad closer together. Some don't like this and cut the grip to make up for the bar width. Its just a matter of taste.
I agree. I move mine inboard on the bar by injecting water under the grip (Do not use WD-40! ). You may want to take the grip off entirely and spray hairspray into the grip and reinstall. This insures that you grips will be restuck on the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlisity
Your bars should already come with end caps or be welded closed at the end. I never had to try, but regular bar caps might work here too.
I've never seen a bar that is welded closed. Never. Every single one I've ever seen has an open end that is closed with a plug. For plugs you can use the extra cheap plastic ones that come with bars or you can get ones that go in road bars (they work in mountain bike bars) like or these from Velox or cool ones like these plastic ones or uber cool ones like these from Purely Custom. You can even get custom designs from Purely Custom.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 08:49 AM   #11
Crue4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the help..
Crue4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 08:52 AM   #12
Crue4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those custom cap ends are sweet...
Crue4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 09:31 AM   #13
charlisity
is full of it.
 
charlisity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Eureka, CA Humboldt County
Bikes: Giant Yukon, Trek 1000, Schwinn Super Sport Comp, World Sport and Le Tour IV, Haro Cyclocross
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Every barend I've ever seen has a pinch clamp to hold them in place...even the cheapest ones. I have no idea what a "rail-like construction" is. A good cheap carbon barend are the Titec Plutos .
The rail I refer to is the contact area of the pinch clamp. I've seen cheap ones with the contact area being raised off the bar by rails to make it look beefy. It looks like a one-sided I-beam wrapped around the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I've never seen a bar that is welded closed. Never. Every single one I've ever seen has an open end that is closed with a plug.
I stand corrected. I was sure I had seen bar ends "welded" closed but I was wrong. I searched for some pictures to show you but I found no "welded" ends. All I found was carbon bars with closed ends such as this one:
http://www.preisvergleich.org/pimage...D200001_20.jpg

I thought some of those were metallic.
charlisity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 11:37 AM   #14
Crono
Senior Member
 
Crono's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Inay ethay east bay
Bikes: A red one and a black one
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some cheapo profile designs which I wrapped in cork tape

I like em.
Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 06:39 PM   #15
Terrapin Ben
I'm simply not credible.
 
Terrapin Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: A blue one and a black one.
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i use some specialized bar ends because i ride a specialized. i don't like them too much because they are pretty big, but it looks like theyre making some smaller as in shorter ones with a more ergonamic design this year. the length isn't a technical problem by any means, simply aesthetic. my bike looks like a bull. boo ya!
Terrapin Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 08:45 PM   #16
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 17,968
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlisity
The rail I refer to is the contact area of the pinch clamp. I've seen cheap ones with the contact area being raised off the bar by rails to make it look beefy. It looks like a one-sided I-beam wrapped around the bar.



I stand corrected. I was sure I had seen bar ends "welded" closed but I was wrong. I searched for some pictures to show you but I found no "welded" ends. All I found was carbon bars with closed ends such as this one:
http://www.preisvergleich.org/pimage...D200001_20.jpg

I thought some of those were metallic.
I understand now. I've not seen any barends except with a smooth pinch clamp. Not say that what you're describing doesn't exist but I've never seen one.

Most all of the closed ended barends I've seen are either carbon like the one you linked or made of billet. Most of the rest just have a simple plastic plug.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 09:46 AM   #17
Big_knob
Banned
 
Big_knob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Single track solutions st lites.
Big_knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 06:37 AM   #18
probable556
pedal head
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
can creek ergo control 2's.. sooooooooo nice, but quite expensive.



have them on my bike, they are awesome...
I might consider something like these, I've crashed enough using the traditional "tree-hook" stlye of bar ends.
probable556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 10:21 AM   #19
free_pizza
later
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by probable556
I might consider something like these, I've crashed enough using the traditional "tree-hook" stlye of bar ends.
in my two seasons of using them, i havent had them hook on a tree but as others have said, there are lighter and much cheaper similar designs out there, but i can guarantee you, these puppies are comfy!!!

The other nice thing about them is that they are ODI compatible, so basically the barend itself acts as one of the jaws.
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 02:46 PM   #20
probable556
pedal head
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
in my two seasons of using them, i havent had them hook on a tree but as others have said, there are lighter and much cheaper similar designs out there, but i can guarantee you, these puppies are comfy!!!

The other nice thing about them is that they are ODI compatible, so basically the barend itself acts as one of the jaws.
Being ODI compatible is a definate plus. Is that how it is pictured? IIRC, cane creek makes and ODI grip.
probable556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 06:42 PM   #21
willtsmith_nwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

L-bars are less likely to hook trees. In fact, they deflect you off of trees and protect your hands from strikes (if you're on the grips). Out in the open, they allow you to stretch out and get more "aero".



I'm not sure if anyone makes carbon fiber L-bars. My opinion seems to be a minority as so many folks are after "mini" bar ends that weigh less.
willtsmith_nwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 06:46 PM   #22
free_pizza
later
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by probable556
Being ODI compatible is a definate plus. Is that how it is pictured? IIRC, cane creek makes and ODI grip.
yep, it looks real clean. Im using race face diablos ODI grips, and looks just as good.
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 11:28 PM   #23
mikejo
OTB
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCel
That's what I use, the ST-lites. They are extremely cheap, very light and work perfectly. Hard to beat them.
Can you grab a "whole hand" around those anterior to the handlebar or are you grabbing the ends of the bar only?
mikejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 06:04 AM   #24
iamthetas
Senior Member
 
iamthetas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: colonial heights Va
Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by probable556
I might consider something like these, I've crashed enough using the traditional "tree-hook" stlye of bar ends.
I have a set of the version 1 and have not hooked a tree yet. Ive had them for 3+ years now. Ive bounced off a few but not hooked. I can also brake and shft with my hand on them and turning is almost as natural feeling as hands on the bars on technical climbs. I use them more for a way to alternate hand positions for 2+ hour rides but they work well on steep twisty climbs too. well worth the $ I paid. they have survived many crashes as well and came out unharmed
iamthetas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 08:22 AM   #25
probable556
pedal head
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

L-bars are less likely to hook trees. In fact, they deflect you off of trees and protect your hands from strikes (if you're on the grips). Out in the open, they allow you to stretch out and get more "aero".



I'm not sure if anyone makes carbon fiber L-bars. My opinion seems to be a minority as so many folks are after "mini" bar ends that weigh less.
Guess one with that much of an angle can prevent banging up knuckles on trees. The riser bar I installed a while back was much wider than the OEM from my bike.

Since I have a wide bar, I notice far less arm fatigue from riding (even on 2 hr+ rides). The hardest thing about getting used to the wider bar was the increased turning levreage - much less percieved effort wouls really move the front wheel.
probable556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:56 AM.