Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    as seen on crimewatch rea1high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    UN-security chains

    posted this in general cycling, but for those that don't venture that far

    i just saw the kryptonite thread and i though i'd share this.

    bear in mind that most of these chains cost over 100 and are sold with "sold secure and thatcham testing stating that they will withstand a 20 minute attck".

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3hFr8p2ck
    This is not Nam. This is bowling. There are rules

  2. #2
    Senior Member Curtis_Elwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a bolt cutter that big, I wouldn't expect much more. The only thing you can do is to make the price of stealing your bike higher than the theif is willing to pay. That bolt cutter probably costs a bit of change and would surely arouse some suspicion if used in a public place. As someone who's had a bike stolen, I wouldn't leave any bike worth more than a couple hundred dollars unattended, chained or not.
    2006 Marin Pine Mountain FX

  3. #3
    pedal head
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. That bolt cutter is insane.

    2. Those idiots should have work EYE PROTECTION. I have seen people get very bad eye injuries with much smaller tools.
    [SIGPIC]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/probable556/BF_Sig_Small2Custom.jpg[/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    Fattest Thin Man Az B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth
    My Bikes
    Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element
    Posts
    2,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by probable556
    1. That bolt cutter is insane.

    2. Those idiots should have work EYE PROTECTION. I have seen people get very bad eye injuries with much smaller tools.
    You ain't seen nuthin'. They make two man bolt cutters that are 6ft. And then there are the hydraulic jobs...

    It's England, they don't have OSHA. Or lawyers on every other TV commercial. They're adults, they know the risks and they'll take responsibility.

    Az

  5. #5
    Banned Big_knob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rea1high
    posted this in general cycling, but for those that don't venture that far

    i just saw the kryptonite thread and i though i'd share this.

    bear in mind that most of these chains cost over 100 and are sold with "sold secure and thatcham testing stating that they will withstand a 20 minute attck".

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3hFr8p2ck
    Might as well have used a oxy-acet cutting torch that way they'd make it look easier & faster

  6. #6
    Air
    Air is offline
    Destroyer of Wheels Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Creating some FA-Qs
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
    Posts
    3,558
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_Elwood
    That bolt cutter probably costs a bit of change and would surely arouse some suspicion if used in a public place.
    You've seen this?

    Why I use a folding bike if I have to go into someplace!

  7. #7
    Flatland hack Flak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nowhere near the mountains :/
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah w/Record 11s and HED Jet 6s, Ridley Damocles w/campy and HED Ardennes, Ridley X-ride, BMC Fourstroke, Necromancer Pugsley, beater SS, Fairdale Coaster, Globe Daily1
    Posts
    3,229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone should own a beater bike for getting around town.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •