Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-07, 01:28 PM   #1
free_pizza
later
Thread Starter
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Bikeroom is currently not taking orders"

I noticed bikerooms site was down for the past month or so, and now i check today and it says "Bikeroom is currently not taking orders".

Hopefully he is shut down for good.
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:34 PM   #2
Temeraroius
Senior nonmember
 
Temeraroius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Bikes: Cannondale Rush 400 (Used to have an FSR XC)
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oooh, its in big red letters that are on fire.
Temeraroius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 03:31 PM   #3
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cool.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 04:12 PM   #4
WannaGetGood
Commited Suicide
 
WannaGetGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Abbotsford.BC
Bikes: 2001 Kona Stuff & 2004 Rocky Mountain Switch SL
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know, I saw that and was thinking about making a thread. But then I though that no one would care.
WannaGetGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 05:11 PM   #5
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do feel bad for David. I think he is a genuinely good guy, but like most places, tried to run the company lean. To little staff for SOOOO much business. There is still no canadian comparitive to the US pricing online, bikeroom tried to offer that.

I have mixed emotions at this point. But really I feel bad for this market.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 05:30 PM   #6
free_pizza
later
Thread Starter
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
I do feel bad for David. I think he is a genuinely good guy, but like most places, tried to run the company lean. To little staff for SOOOO much business. There is still no canadian comparitive to the US pricing online, bikeroom tried to offer that.

I have mixed emotions at this point. But really I feel bad for this market.
i would probably feel bad for him if he kept his promise and told the truth to me, but it was pretty clear that he lied to me.

But yeah, i'll miss his prices, its too bad we cant have more places like that (back when it was a good site) up here.
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 05:55 PM   #7
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
i would probably feel bad for him if he kept his promise and told the truth to me, but it was pretty clear that he lied to me.

But yeah, i'll miss his prices, its too bad we cant have more places like that (back when it was a good site) up here.
Its unfortunate but a little shop in WA and Jenson get all my money. I would love to feed to local economy in some way, but it just isnt feasible.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 06:32 PM   #8
santiago
sarcasm meter: jerk mode
 
santiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's gotten to the point that I find it so much easier to send an email to Mountain High Cyclery with a parts list. I get a reply with price and then close the deal.

I've been very pleased dealing with Ebay, too. You can get some fantastic deals sometimes. I just bought a compact crankset (Shimano F700) for my road bike for $180 + 20 shipping USD straight from Japan. I wasn't able to find anyone coming close to that price.
__________________
First Class Jerk
santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 06:50 PM   #9
free_pizza
later
Thread Starter
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ive got a wee list of stuff i need for this season, think im just gonna get it from pricepoint. i'll pay a bit on customs, but it'll still be cheaper than buying locally.
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 07:10 PM   #10
santiago
sarcasm meter: jerk mode
 
santiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
ive got a wee list of stuff i need for this season, think im just gonna get it from pricepoint. i'll pay a bit on customs, but it'll still be cheaper than buying locally.
Do yourself a favour. Send your item list to Larry at MtnHighCyclery.com. You will be very, very surprised at the prices. If he can't beat a price he'll tell you. I had asked for the price of some cranks and he told me to just get them off of one of the discount parts stores as he couldn't beat some of the late season deals floating around.

However what I find is that on an overall price list, he has great prices. He also ships using US Postal Service so no UPS/Fedex brokerage fees.
__________________
First Class Jerk
santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 08:06 PM   #11
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago
However what I find is that on an overall price list, he has great prices. He also ships using US Postal Service so no UPS/Fedex brokerage fees.
Agreed (with the shipping aspect) by the time the items get to me it is almost no difference in price to what was advertised. I just make sure to order a lot of items instead of one offs.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 08:08 PM   #12
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago
Do yourself a favour. Send your item list to Larry at MtnHighCyclery.com. You will be very, very surprised at the prices. If he can't beat a price he'll tell you. I had asked for the price of some cranks and he told me to just get them off of one of the discount parts stores as he couldn't beat some of the late season deals floating around.

However what I find is that on an overall price list, he has great prices. He also ships using US Postal Service so no UPS/Fedex brokerage fees.

Looks like some good prices, but I hate dealing with email etc. I would much rather have a shopping cart and be done with it. But thanks for the ref, I will keep him in mind when I am ordering next.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 08:11 PM   #13
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SK, Canada
Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
Posts: 7,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is sad to lose a Canadian Online seller like that.

I did have an issue with Bikeroom and an order of mine that was all wrong. After a few unanswered e-mails, I caulked it up to a loss. Strangely enough about 5 months later, they emailed me apologized and refunded my money, and I was told to keep the parts.
__________________
-Trek 5000* -Project Litespeed* -The Italian Job* -Rocky Wedge* -The Canadian Connection*
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 08:16 PM   #14
free_pizza
later
Thread Starter
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ
I did have an issue with Bikeroom and an order of mine that was all wrong. After a few unanswered e-mails, I caulked it up to a loss. Strangely enough about 5 months later, they emailed me apologized and refunded my money, and I was told to keep the parts.
my issue was different. Un-authorized $475 charge to my credit card, 15-20 unanswered emails, and about 10 un-answered voice mail messages. Finally got through and talked to him, he assured me that my money was refunded and all would be well. It still took another month for the money to appear.

Happened to my friend too.
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 08:53 PM   #15
DonValley
Mountain Bikes are Art
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well any time money is owed and return Emails don't get answered, there is no excuse and they should be shutdown. I just looked for their site last week because I am looking for a rear wheel and did purchase a Fox RLT 100 from them with no issues when I bought my bike last year. (Used rear wheel would be nice too pm)
DonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 08:55 PM   #16
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SK, Canada
Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
Posts: 7,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
my issue was different. Un-authorized $475 charge to my credit card, 15-20 unanswered emails, and about 10 un-answered voice mail messages. Finally got through and talked to him, he assured me that my money was refunded and all would be well. It still took another month for the money to appear.

Happened to my friend too.
That would have sucked, and there is no excuse for that
__________________
-Trek 5000* -Project Litespeed* -The Italian Job* -Rocky Wedge* -The Canadian Connection*
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 08:08 AM   #17
KrisA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Regina, SK, CA
Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to order from bikeroom, before I "discovered" that it is just as easy ordering from any other online retailer outside of Canada. In fact now that I've ordered from the UK and Germany (CRC and Starbike) and was amazed by the turnaround time and prices I don't think I'll order from the USA again, except for cheap stuff from Nashbar.
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 11:17 AM   #18
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB
 
pinkrobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cowtown, AB
Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.
Posts: 4,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was pretty jazzed to see a Canuck online store, but really unimpressed with their service. Luckily, they only screwed me for $10. I'd be out for blood if it was $450.00

There really should be more Canadian online bike stores - I can't think of why there isn't. Canada Post is surprisingly fast for a reasonable fee. The size of the market may be a concern, but I think an argument could be made that not having to deal with customs might create its own market in Canada.

MtnHighCyclery.com really needs to update their page. 2004 FTW!!!

KrisA: I've found good deals from Europe for road stuff, but what about mountain?
__________________
Proud Member of the HHCMF
'06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning
pinkrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 11:52 AM   #19
KrisA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Regina, SK, CA
Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chainreactioncycles.com has good deals on MTB stuff. I hate looking there, the prices are too cheap! Last week I was almost seduced to buy a set of Crossmax SL V brake wheels from them for $625CDN SHIPPED! Their prices on Shimano components are also very very good.
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 12:34 PM   #20
santiago
sarcasm meter: jerk mode
 
santiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisA
Chainreactioncycles.com has good deals on MTB stuff. I hate looking there, the prices are too cheap! Last week I was almost seduced to buy a set of Crossmax SL V brake wheels from them for $625CDN SHIPPED! Their prices on Shimano components are also very very good.
How is shipping? What shipping company do they use? How expensive is it to have it shipped from Europe?
__________________
First Class Jerk
santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 01:13 PM   #21
nodnerb
Senior Member
 
nodnerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wpg. Manitoba
Bikes: Mountain Cycle Rumble. Mostly xt and raceface built. Dirt Jumper 3. Avid BB7s.
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
my issue was different. Un-authorized $475 charge to my credit card, 15-20 unanswered emails, and about 10 un-answered voice mail messages. Finally got through and talked to him, he assured me that my money was refunded and all would be well. It still took another month for the money to appear.

Happened to my friend too.
Yep. That happened to me too. Over $600. It was the second time I had problems with them like that. First time, ok, fine, mistakes happen. Second time it happened, and like usual, no possible way to get a hold of them, I was pissed. No replies to my e-mails, phone calls etc. I figured screw this and called my CC company to file a dispute to get my money back. Could be a good scam too. How many people don't notice a charge on their card several months later, probably a lot. They had great deals, but it isn't worth being scammed for parts twice, and hundreds of dollars with non existent service. Good riddance.
nodnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 01:46 PM   #22
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm sounds like this canadian seller needs to learn how to run an online business. Meh.. I use jensonusa. Ground shipping get's parts here in two days, because they are based in cali. Great prices. Always get a customer rep when I call. One time when I thought they got my order wrong they sent me another part instantly. I kept both free of charge.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 02:20 PM   #23
KrisA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Regina, SK, CA
Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago
How is shipping? What shipping company do they use? How expensive is it to have it shipped from Europe?
Shipping was fast, less than 2 weeks till the goods were in my hands. Cost? Free if you are over a certain threshold, which I think is around 300 bucks CDN. I think they shipped via "Parcel Force", was delivered in Canada via Canada Post with no fees other than PST And GST.

On my German order from Starbike they shipped via German Post (or whatever it's called) and didn't declare any value on the parts (not a big order, got a Flite saddle, couple of Schwalbe tires, tubes, other odds and ends) so I didn't have to pay any fees or GST and PST!!!
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 02:32 PM   #24
santiago
sarcasm meter: jerk mode
 
santiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisA
Shipping was fast, less than 2 weeks till the goods were in my hands. Cost? Free if you are over a certain threshold, which I think is around 300 bucks CDN. I think they shipped via "Parcel Force", was delivered in Canada via Canada Post with no fees other than PST And GST.

On my German order from Starbike they shipped via German Post (or whatever it's called) and didn't declare any value on the parts (not a big order, got a Flite saddle, couple of Schwalbe tires, tubes, other odds and ends) so I didn't have to pay any fees or GST and PST!!!
Sweet. I much prefer receiving packages via regular post. You can sometimes get lucky and not have to pay anything. At worst you pay GST/PST and maybe a small handling fee.
__________________
First Class Jerk
santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 03:58 PM   #25
DonValley
Mountain Bikes are Art
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Overall I pay tax less than half the time on Canada Post delivered Ebay purchases.
DonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 PM.