Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 123
  1. #1
    Baby it's cold outside... ViperZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SK, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
    Posts
    7,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What Do You Carry In Your CamelBak/BackPack??

    Hanging around here it has come to my attention that most MTB'ers no longer carry their water bottles in bottle cages on their frames, rather they carry the water in a hydration system such as a Camelbak or similar. Given this is true, I suppose you carry most of your tools and support equipment in the Camelbak/pack as well.

    Now I have been away from MTB'ing for a while, however it seems today's MTB's can be more complex, especially if you are riding a Full Suspension rig, thus the requirement for more tools.. If you are riding a Hard Tail then probably a seat wedge full of essential tools will do....


    This leads to my questions of, what do you carry along for a FS rig?

    Do you ride with a Camelbak, or just Seat Wedge?

    This is what I'm thinking I should have as a minimum with a FS bike.
    • Patch Kit
    • Levers
    • Tube
    • Multi Tool (Allen, Drivers, Chain Breaker..etc)
    • Pump
    • Shock Pump ???? (do you even need this or carry something that does double duty?) This is really what I'm wondering about.... Is this necessary?


    Oh and Water too

    Anything else?

    Although I have some small packs and Playtapus hydration systems that could be used, I think I'll look into a dedicated Camelbak. I will still probably mount a Bottle cage on the frame for days when I'm just tooling around with out a pack.... Unless that is not recommended.


    Thanks
    -Trek 5000* -Project Litespeed* -The Italian Job* -Rocky Wedge* -The Canadian Connection*

  2. #2
    I can't find my pants mirona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
    My Bikes
    07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
    Posts
    2,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry an extra rear wheel, two turkey sandwiches and a hooker.

  3. #3
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 tubes
    Set of allen wrenches
    mini pump
    co2 carts. and co2 dispencer
    tire levers
    phone

  4. #4
    Baby it's cold outside... ViperZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SK, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
    Posts
    7,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mirona
    I carry an extra rear wheel, two turkey sandwiches and a hooker.
    But do you carry 2 pumps?
    -Trek 5000* -Project Litespeed* -The Italian Job* -Rocky Wedge* -The Canadian Connection*

  5. #5
    pedal head
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget Cliff Bars, Goo and cash.

    Maybe a firearm depending where in the country you live.
    [SIGPIC]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/probable556/BF_Sig_Small2Custom.jpg[/SIGPIC]

  6. #6
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oldie but goodie.

    Mine:

    1 bag of H2O
    1 tube
    1 CO2 cartridge with adaptor
    1 health insurance card
    1 park tool kit
    6 Vicodin
    12 pack condoms
    .40 cal Glock

  7. #7
    MgC
    MgC is offline
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and Water too
    What? I put chocolate pudding in mine.. mmm.. mmm.

    Seriously though, I am looking at getting a bigger camelbak to carry more stuff, including a camera.. Then I don't need that seat bag I've been using for 10+ years.

  8. #8
    Baby it's cold outside... ViperZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SK, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
    Posts
    7,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastro
    Oldie but goodie.

    Mine:

    1 bag of H2O
    1 tube
    1 CO2 cartridge with adaptor
    1 health insurance card
    1 park tool kit
    6 Vicodin
    12 pack condoms
    .40 cal Glock

    Now thats doube duty equipment... Condom for the barrel of the Glok, and you never know when the opportunity to "Hit'it" may come along
    -Trek 5000* -Project Litespeed* -The Italian Job* -Rocky Wedge* -The Canadian Connection*

  9. #9
    MgC
    MgC is offline
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gastro
    Oldie but goodie.

    Mine:

    1 bag of H2O
    1 tube
    1 CO2 cartridge with adaptor
    1 health insurance card
    1 park tool kit
    6 Vicodin
    12 pack condoms
    .40 cal Glock
    You need the glock to scare off potential vicodin theives?

  10. #10
    Loved by m0ds Pete_Fagerlin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basic load:

    Foodstuffs
    Fluid
    Tube (or tubes if I'm going to be riding with anyone running Stan's NoTubes)
    Patch kit
    Propane
    Cool Tool
    Metal Tire levers
    Derailleur hanger
    Sidewall patch
    Pump

    Depending on the ride, I will supplement with combinations of:

    Clothing
    matches
    leatherman
    trail saw
    flask
    beer
    second helmet
    Sony DCR-PC1000
    Sony DCR-PC350
    Manfroto Superclamp
    Monopod
    Nikon D2x
    Nikon 16 mm 2.8 fisheye
    Nikon 17-55 2.8
    Nikon 28-70 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8
    Nikon SB-800 (x2)

  11. #11
    Baby it's cold outside... ViperZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SK, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
    Posts
    7,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Danneskj÷ld
    Basic load:

    Foodstuffs
    Fluid
    Tube (or tubes if I'm going to be riding with anyone running Stan's NoTubes)
    Patch kit
    Propane
    Cool Tool
    Metal Tire levers
    Derailleur hanger
    Sidewall patch
    Pump

    Depending on the ride, I will supplement with combinations of:

    Clothing
    matches
    leatherman
    trail saw
    flask
    beer
    second helmet
    Sony DCR-PC1000
    Sony DCR-PC350
    Manfroto Superclamp
    Monopod
    Nikon D2x
    Nikon 16 mm 2.8 fisheye
    Nikon 17-55 2.8
    Nikon 28-70 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8
    Nikon SB-800 (x2)

    Wow, now that's a comprehensive tool, Photo studio kit!


    Nobody carries a Shock pump for trail tweaking (or if the shocks are too soft)? Is this not a common issue, and you set and forget before each ride?
    Last edited by ViperZ; 02-27-07 at 07:15 PM.
    -Trek 5000* -Project Litespeed* -The Italian Job* -Rocky Wedge* -The Canadian Connection*

  12. #12
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    MontrÚal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MgC
    You need the glock to scare off potential vicodin theives?
    It appears that the Yeti are territorial.

    Edit:

    Forgot to answer Killer Hanson's question.

    Yes, use a Camelbak. I use the Mule, comes with a 3L bladder and I fill it.
    Energy Bars/Granola Bars
    Pump
    2 Tubes
    Patch Kit
    Sidewall Patch Kit
    Derailleur Hanger
    Tire Levers
    Multi-Tool
    GMRS for my club rides since we can be a big group.
    Cell phone
    SRAM PowerLink
    Small First Aid Kit
    Space Blanket
    Spare Camelbak Bite Valve. I once endo'ed and managed to rip off the valve. I didn't notice until a few hundred meters later when I started wondering why I was all wet and it wasn't raining.

    I leave the shock pump in the trunk of the car along with a foot pump.

    R. Danneskj÷ld - What is a Cool Tool? The term is too generic and I can't find anything conclusive using Google.
    Last edited by santiago; 02-27-07 at 07:24 PM.
    First Class Jerk

  13. #13
    I can't find my pants mirona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
    My Bikes
    07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
    Posts
    2,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ
    But do you carry 2 pumps?
    Not unless the hooker's packin'.

    I usually carry:

    tube
    pump
    patch kit
    tire levers
    der hanger
    quick link
    allen wrenches
    water
    food
    camera
    money
    id

  14. #14
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,887
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Starting in the upper left:

    Allen wrench set from 6 to 2 mm
    Toe strap
    5/6mm allen wrench
    26" tube
    700C tube (I use my Camelbak on both road and mountain bike)
    Pack for holding tools
    14" zip ties
    shock pump
    Tire gauge
    LED light
    duct tape
    rubber shim
    extra power links
    extra allen screws
    plier multitool
    spoke wrench
    leatherman micra
    hypercracker cassette removal tool
    (back over to the shock pump)
    Tire lever (mostly for the road bike tires but it works for ATB)
    Patch kit
    4" zip ties
    16 penny nail (it can be used as a punch)
    Velco strip
    Cool Tool multitool.

    Since this picture was taken and since I got stuck out on a trail at night, I've added a small first aid kit, a windproof lighter and a helmet lamp. I also carry a sharp knife and food, of course.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  15. #15
    Long haired freak. wethepeople's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Still stuck in hell.
    My Bikes
    2011 SE Old Man Flyer.
    Posts
    6,280
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the ride:

    Knife.
    Tube.
    Pump.
    Two steel tire levers.
    Care card.
    A bit of cash.
    spoke tool and a few allen keys.
    And usually half a roll of duct tape on my seatpost.

    If I'm at the Skatepark I just bring my toolbox.

    "the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."


  16. #16
    Loved by m0ds Pete_Fagerlin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute
    Starting in the upper left:
    The International Redundancy Committee just called. They want to make sure that you're going to be at the Spring picnic.

  17. #17
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MgC
    You need the glock to scare off potential vicodin theives?
    No, I actually use the *** to get the pills.

  18. #18
    Senior Member here and there's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    833
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my saddle pack:

    tube
    patch kit
    tire levers
    zip ties
    Crank bros m-17 multi tool
    mini leatherman tool
    extra chain links/power link
    mini-first aid kit
    I.D.


    In my hydration pack:

    tube
    mtn morph pump
    bandana used as a rag

  19. #19
    Baby it's cold outside... ViperZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SK, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
    Posts
    7,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute
    Starting in the upper left:

    Allen wrench set from 6 to 2 mm
    Toe strap
    5/6mm allen wrench
    26" tube
    700C tube (I use my Camelbak on both road and mountain bike)
    Pack for holding tools
    14" zip ties
    shock pump
    Tire gauge
    LED light
    duct tape
    rubber shim
    extra power links
    extra allen screws
    plier multitool
    spoke wrench
    leatherman micra
    hypercracker cassette removal tool

    (back over to the shock pump)
    Tire lever (mostly for the road bike tires but it works for ATB)
    Patch kit
    4" zip ties
    16 penny nail (it can be used as a punch)
    Velco strip
    Cool Tool multitool.

    Since this picture was taken and since I got stuck out on a trail at night, I've added a small first aid kit, a windproof lighter and a helmet lamp. I also carry a sharp knife and food, of course.

    OK, Now I'm sort of getting somewhere... Do you use the Shock pump as a tire pump as well? If you do you must use schrader tubes or have a Schrader to Presta adapter? How well does the Shock pump work as a tire pump?
    -Trek 5000* -Project Litespeed* -The Italian Job* -Rocky Wedge* -The Canadian Connection*

  20. #20
    I'm simply not credible. Terrapin Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    A blue one and a black one.
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    folding knife
    leatherman
    crank bros multi tool
    spare tube (x2)
    hand pump
    lube
    tire levers
    I.D.
    sometimes food

    i don't think i'd be able to keep six pain killers in my pack. they would get eaten sometime or another. i also hope i would never be in a situation where i would need six pain killers on a ride... but that's really smart to be prepared!
    Every time that wheel turn round,
    Bound to cover just a little more ground

    - J. Garcia

  21. #21
    SwampFox Little Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Green Bay WI
    My Bikes
    Diamonback Sorrento, Gary Fisher Cobia
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by probable556
    Maybe a firearm depending where in the country you live.
    a firearm wont do you a darn in your backpack. if you ever needed to use one (like when your being mauled by a bear) how are you ganna get to it? plus, its not a good idea to be packing when the ranger comes around.

  22. #22
    Baby it's cold outside... ViperZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SK, Canada
    My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany
    Posts
    7,306
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    It appears that the Yeti are territorial.

    Edit:

    Forgot to answer Killer Hanson's question.

    Yes, use a Camelbak. I use the Mule, comes with a 3L bladder and I fill it.
    Energy Bars/Granola Bars
    Pump
    2 Tubes
    Patch Kit
    Sidewall Patch Kit
    Derailleur Hanger
    Tire Levers
    Multi-Tool
    GMRS for my club rides since we can be a big group.
    Cell phone
    SRAM PowerLink
    Small First Aid Kit
    Space Blanket
    Spare Camelbak Bite Valve. I once endo'ed and managed to rip off the valve. I didn't notice until a few hundred meters later when I started wondering why I was all wet and it wasn't raining.
    Who's Killer Hanson??

    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    I leave the shock pump in the trunk of the car along with a foot pump.
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by santiago
    R. Danneskj÷ld - What is a Cool Tool? The term is too generic and I can't find anything conclusive using Google.
    Look at cyccommute's picture, I was wondering the same thing, until he called it out Looks like a must have!



    Great stuff so far!
    -Trek 5000* -Project Litespeed* -The Italian Job* -Rocky Wedge* -The Canadian Connection*

  23. #23
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,887
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ
    OK, Now I'm sort of getting somewhere... Do you use the Shock pump as a tire pump as well? If you do you must use schrader tubes or have a Schrader to Presta adapter? How well does the Shock pump work as a tire pump?
    No. I don't use the shock pump as a tire pump. For that I have a Topeak Mtn Morph. I use presta on everything.

    I had a shock pump/tire pump combo from Specialized but it was such a marginal pump for both, that I ditched. The shock pump that I have has a really small volume and would take forever to pump up a tire.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  24. #24
    chain smoker
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    My Bikes
    06 Specialized Stumpjumper HT; 07 Ellsworth Moment; 06 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tube
    Tire Levers
    Patch Kit
    Extra Chain Links
    Arm Warmers
    Leg Warmers
    First Aid Kit
    Compass
    Tire Pressure Gauge
    Pump for Tires
    Food/Drink
    Multi tool
    Wallet
    Mobile Phone
    Keys
    Eye Glasses (in case my contacts pop out)
    Flashlight

  25. #25
    Obeying Gravity
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,962
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been doing more DH shuttle runs lately, and in my pak I have:

    2 tubes (I run presta, if someone i ride w/ is running schraeder, ill throw one in)
    Few tire levers
    Mini Pump
    Multitool
    Folding knife

    Thats about it. I'll keep more tubes, shock pump, floor pump, and more tools down in the car.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •