Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-07, 03:22 PM   #1
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone use Bontrager Super Juice?

I would like to hear if anyone has experience using Bontrager Super Juice with their Trek tubeless ready wheels. I was told that the juice stays liquid longer than Stan's sealant but does need adding once a year. I question if the juice will fill larger holes like Stan's might be capable of doing. I have been using tubes until now so thanks for any comments.
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 03:56 PM   #2
jonbth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use Bontrager SuperJuice. It works great and I've had no problems with it. It is also less messy than Stans. I haven't had to add any extra to my wheels yet.
jonbth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 04:03 PM   #3
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbth
I use Bontrager SuperJuice. It works great and I've had no problems with it. It is also less messy than Stans. I haven't had to add any extra to my wheels yet.
Cool, how long have you used it? Had any potential flats that it filled? My LBS said you can pull out the object and just watch some juice drip out till it fills. I wondered if it will fill as much as stans does? I should be adding the juice this weekend. Thanks!

Last edited by trek1; 04-05-07 at 08:06 AM.
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 08:07 AM   #4
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who else here uses Bontrager juice?
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 06:24 AM   #5
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I brought my wheels in to my LBS to make them tubeless using Super Juice before the Easter holiday. The weather was bad here so I didn't need them till this week so I called on them and they said there was a problem with one tire that went flat. I stopped in there right after work and they were telling me they have had problems with the Bontrager Jones tire and would suggest the Continental Explorer UTS tire. I watched them install them and they went on the rim easier and had no problem inflating them with a good seal to the rim. They switched them out and I was on my way so I went and hit my local 10 mile trail and they were great. If I had to go back to using tubes then I would not want the Bontrager tubeless tire because they are to difficult to remove but I plan on staying tubeless.
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 06:27 AM   #6
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice, check out Schwalbe's next time as well. They were the easiest that I have mounted so far. I use the non-tubeless and convert them.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 06:43 AM   #7
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCel
Nice, check out Schwalbe's next time as well. They were the easiest that I have mounted so far. I use the non-tubeless and convert them.
Is that similar to Stan's? I only went with the Juice because I have Bontrager wheels but I tell you the Continental Explorers went on fairly easy and sealed right up. I am happy so far with the performance on my first ride out but time will tell.

http://www.conti.de/generator/www/de...plorer_en.html
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 07:01 AM   #8
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ive had two set's of Maxis standard tires that mounted up like a UST, The Kenda Karma's mounted very easy for a standard tire. But My Panaracers..........Ugh! They sure are stubborn.
born2bahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 07:02 AM   #9
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek1
Is that similar to Stan's? I only went with the Juice because I have Bontrager wheels but I tell you the Continental Explorers went on fairly easy and sealed right up. I am happy so far with the performance on my first ride out but time will tell.

http://www.conti.de/generator/www/de...plorer_en.html
Schwalbe is a brand of tires. I do use Stan's fluid to convert them though.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 07:05 AM   #10
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bahick
Ive had two set's of Maxis standard tires that mounted up like a UST, The Kenda Karma's mounted very easy for a standard tire. But My Panaracers..........Ugh! They sure are stubborn.
I've heard mixed reviews on converting the Karmas. I had the Karma DTC's and it took me a month or so to get them completely sealed. One tire kept going flat, every day for at least two or three weeks it would go flat. I believe I used over half a quart of sealant just on that one tire. I was about to throw a tube in them and forget about it when it finally sealed up. The sidewalls were just so thin they had countless pinholes in them. That was just my experience with them, obviously other people's vary.

Oh, I had good luck with my panaracers.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 07:30 AM   #11
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LBS was telling me certain brands work ell and others are difficult to make work. I was going to check into Michelin but this is all my LBS had besides Bontrager so I went with them. I think I had some Continental's years ago and they were a good tire but the LBS mechanic is a pretty good rider and he was talking them up and said he converted some riders last year and they love them. I got to say I really like them so far and will report back if the tire or sealing becomes a problem but I am really happy to be tubeless so far.
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 07:37 AM   #12
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Continental's are great tires. My favorite combination of them is the Explorer and the Escape. Great all around setup. I have had good luck with them sealing up as well.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 07:44 AM   #13
Bike Lover
Should be riding
 
Bike Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are many, many local shops to you. I understand patronizing one, but still, if it doesn't have what you want/need you could always look elsewhere.

My guess is you went tree farming after getting everything all set-up and ready to go. Not a bad trail. I expect I'll be riding it more this year than in the past. I'm trying to vary the trails I hit as I'm racing the CPS series this year and it hits a bunch of local, and some not so local, trails.

Glad you like them (the tires and going tubeless).
Bike Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 08:02 AM   #14
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Lover
There are many, many local shops to you. I understand patronizing one, but still, if it doesn't have what you want/need you could always look elsewhere.

My guess is you went tree farming after getting everything all set-up and ready to go. Not a bad trail. I expect I'll be riding it more this year than in the past. I'm trying to vary the trails I hit as I'm racing the CPS series this year and it hits a bunch of local, and some not so local, trails.

Glad you like them (the tires and going tubeless).
The cool thing was I had no reciept and bought the Bontragers last year and just tried mounting them this season. The reason I keep going to this LBS (clue......AC) is that they always take care of my problems fast and not much $. I do buy alot of bikes (myself and kids) from them and it comes down to service. If I went anywhere else on this problem I would have been spending at least $100. I did hit the tree farm which was slightly soft in some areas but very rideable and gave me a good feeling of the new tires. I like the Tree Farm and Maybury for a variety of different technical spots but for speed I like Island Lake. I might just keep using Continentals in the future, I don't need any extra trouble from something as simple but most importantly a tire. Thanks and enjoy the riding season

Does anyone know what "UST" stands for on tires?
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 08:56 AM   #15
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
According to the Free Dictionary by Farlex:
Acronym Definition
UST System Universal Tubeless (Mavic)
UST Ultra Sonic Testing
USt Umsatzsteuer (German: Tax)
UST Undergraduate Space Training
UST Underground Storage Tank
UST Unit Security Technician
UST United Sports Technologies
UST United States Treasury
UST United States Treaty
UST Universal Standard Time
UST Universal Systems and Technology, Inc.
UST University of Santo Tomas (Manila, Philippines)
UST University of Science & Technology (Yemen)
UST University of St. Thomas (Minnesota, Texas)
UST Unresolved Sexual Tension
UST Unstretched
UST Urbanna Swim Team (Manassas, Virginia)
UST User Status Table
UST Utah State Theatre
born2bahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 09:20 AM   #16
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bahick
According to the Free Dictionary by Farlex:
Acronym Definition
UST System Universal Tubeless (Mavic)
UST Ultra Sonic Testing
USt Umsatzsteuer (German: Tax)
UST Undergraduate Space Training
UST Underground Storage Tank
UST Unit Security Technician
UST United Sports Technologies
UST United States Treasury
UST United States Treaty
UST Universal Standard Time
UST Universal Systems and Technology, Inc.
UST University of Santo Tomas (Manila, Philippines)
UST University of Science & Technology (Yemen)
UST University of St. Thomas (Minnesota, Texas)
UST Unresolved Sexual Tension
UST Unstretched
UST Urbanna Swim Team (Manassas, Virginia)
UST User Status Table
UST Utah State Theatre
I guess some of these not associated with UST tires?
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 10:44 AM   #17
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek1
I guess some of these not associated with UST tires?
Yeah I just wanted to share useless information, I know we don't normally do that on the forum
born2bahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 11:02 AM   #18
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bahick
Yeah I just wanted to share useless information, I know we don't normally do that on the forum
Great because it is totally useless
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 01:48 PM   #19
nikos
1,520,000
 
nikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: madison, wi
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So how messy/hard was it to use the super juice. I have tubeless crossmax with bonti jones tires, but havent attempted the juice yet, havent had a flat. The only issue is the tires going flat after a few days. I figured why attempt a messy situation if the tires are holding well, just carry a tube along.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 08:59 PM   #20
trek1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
trek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Novi, Michigan
Bikes: Trek '06 2100ZR, 7.5FX, '05 Fuel EX8
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
So how messy/hard was it to use the super juice. I have tubeless crossmax with bonti jones tires, but havent attempted the juice yet, havent had a flat. The only issue is the tires going flat after a few days. I figured why attempt a messy situation if the tires are holding well, just carry a tube along.
Not as messy as Stan's is what the LBS claims but it is not messy until you remove a tire for some reason but you can contain what little juice is inside. The new Jones tire was not working out but the Continental's are working out I just checked them and they are still perfect with no air loss. They will still suggest you carry a spare tube if all else fails you will be able to get out of the woods or if one of your buddies needs one on the trail. I am a believer of tubeless for now and why not if it was almost free since the bike came with tubeless ready wheels.
trek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 10:29 AM   #21
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
So how messy/hard was it to use the super juice. I have tubeless crossmax with bonti jones tires, but havent attempted the juice yet, havent had a flat. The only issue is the tires going flat after a few days. I figured why attempt a messy situation if the tires are holding well, just carry a tube along.
As with life, it is what you make of it! I can pop one side off the rim, drain the stan's or juice or slime or whatever and never make a mess. Putting it in is even easier!
born2bahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 10:37 AM   #22
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Bikes: GMC Denali
Posts: 17,588
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bahick
As with life, it is what you make of it! I can pop one side off the rim, drain the stan's or juice or slime or whatever and never make a mess. Putting it in is even easier!
I just do it outside and don't worry about it.

Putting it in is extremely easy, remove valve stem core, insert fluid, install valve stem core. Takes less than a minute.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:21 PM.