Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-07, 04:31 AM   #1
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Tektro brake quality

Specifically, has anyone tried their brake levers? It is getting harder to find nice cantilever brake levers. The only ones I can find are Tektro. Ebay seems hit or miss on NOS Shimano or Dia-Compe levers.'

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 07:04 AM   #2
mlh122
Senior Member
 
mlh122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NW
Bikes: Trek 4500
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ive been using Tektro V's for about 2 years, the brakes kinda sucked, but the levers were ok. I recently upgraded to Avid BB7 mech discs, but kept the Tektro levers, they still work fine.
mlh122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 08:28 AM   #3
DevilsGT2
ಠ_ಠ
 
DevilsGT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF
Bikes: One of the first Aluminum Rockhoppers to come with front suspension.
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, my dad has Tektro levers mated to BB5's, they work fine.
DevilsGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 08:46 AM   #4
bsyptak
Luggite
 
bsyptak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Performance Forte Team brake levers have a little switch inside the handle where you hook the cable. The switch allows you to select v-brake or cantilever for correct cable pull. Nice feeling brake lever and now only $13/pair.

I have a set. I just checked on the web site and it doesn't say they work for both v & canti. Check before you buy to make sure they didn't do a switcharoo.
bsyptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 04:17 PM   #5
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you want more bling. There's always these LINK
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 04:29 PM   #6
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
If you want more bling. There's always these LINK
Hey Raiyn you should know is: isn't there enough adjustment run-in on a set of Speed-Dial levers to set them for cantilevers? Just a thought . . . .
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 05:04 PM   #7
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor
Hey Raiyn you should know is: isn't there enough adjustment run-in on a set of Speed-Dial levers to set them for cantilevers? Just a thought . . . .
To tell you the truth I've never tried, nor would I try it in the first place. V-brake levers pull twice the cable, half as hard, where Canti levers do the opposite. The lower leverage of the V lever makes up for for the higher leverage of the V-brake. This is why it's not a good idea to mix and match.

V-brake levers used with any other type of brakes will feel all sorts of firm when you squeeze them, but due to their lower leverage you'll need to clamp down twice as hard to stop and there just isn't enough adjustment in the Speed dial to fully compensate for this.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 05:17 PM   #8
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
To tell you the truth I've never tried, nor would I try it in the first place. V-brake levers pull twice the cable, half as hard, where Canti levers do the opposite. The lower leverage of the V lever makes up for for the higher leverage of the V-brake. This is why it's not a good idea to mix and match.

V-brake levers used with any other type of brakes will feel all sorts of firm when you squeeze them, but due to their lower leverage you'll need to clamp down twice as hard to stop and there just isn't enough adjustment in the Speed dial to fully compensate for this.
I get your point but consider this for a moment: I had a set of levers that could be set up for either canti or V - - depending on where you flip-flopd the cable pull anchor inside. It occurred to me that it was like a manual equivalent of the Speed-dial, but without the infinite adjustment in between the two points. But I'm not sure if the SD runs in far enough toward the pivot center (more leverage, less cable pull) to actually work the same way.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 05:30 PM   #9
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor
But I'm not sure if the SD runs in far enough toward the pivot center (more leverage, less cable pull) to actually work the same way.
That's my concern as well. I do understand your concept (I've run speed dial levers for years), but I'm not comfortable saying "Yeah go ahead". As I see it, the speed dial changes the pivot point decreasing the felt pressure at the lever yet it still pulls the same amount of cable and still has the same applied leverage at the wheel. This would make the lever unsuitable for a canti application.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 09:13 AM   #10
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Bikes: Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will never forgive Tektro brake pads. They just super suck, no grip at all which caused me to lose control at a lot of places. Not sure about their levers though.
wheelhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 10:03 AM   #11
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Bikes: Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I though Avid Speed Dial is one of those good cantilever brake levers?
wheelhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 06:30 PM   #12
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhot
I though Avid Speed Dial is one of those good cantilever brake levers?
Nope they've been V for a long time
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 06:32 PM   #13
Minesbroken
It is what it is...
 
Minesbroken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Long Island NY
Bikes: Trek 6500 w/ stuff
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had tektro levers with shimano v's then switched it out for avid bb5's and they worked fine...but I switched the levers anyway two weeks ago to the fr5's cause they were too cheap to pass up.
__________________
sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

myspace
myplace
my bike
Minesbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 02:32 AM   #14
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
If you want more bling. There's always these LINK
Those are very nice. Now, if I could only get them in a 4-finger size. I really like the look of full size levers. That's the problem being a dinosaur.

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 08:41 AM   #15
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1
Those are very nice. Now, if I could only get them in a 4-finger size. I really like the look of full size levers. That's the problem being a dinosaur.

Tim
4 finger?....seriously, you brake using all 4 fingers?
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 08:45 AM   #16
DevilsGT2
ಠ_ಠ
 
DevilsGT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF
Bikes: One of the first Aluminum Rockhoppers to come with front suspension.
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
4 finger?....seriously, you brake using all 4 fingers?
Even on V's the most I've had to use is 3.
DevilsGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 08:55 AM   #17
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Bikes: Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow, I only use 1 or 2
wheelhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 08:59 AM   #18
maddmaxx 
Small Member
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Speed dial can be cranked in half the way to the pivot point. Thats half the pull, twice the force. Works fine on cantilever.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 04:10 PM   #19
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Speed dial can be cranked in half the way to the pivot point. Thats half the pull, twice the force. Works fine on cantilever.
No, it isn't, and no it doesn't. I happen to have Speed Dial levers on my commuter. Just to double check myself I went out and adjusted them through the whole range of motion with the speed dial.
If it was as you said the pads wouldn't make it to the rim (half the cable) and the force applied would change. Guess what. The pads hit the rim, and they achieved the same amount of terminal force regardless of Speed Dial position. The only thing that changed was the position of the lever when the wheel achieved lock.

That plus the fact that the instructions say NOT TO USE THEM WITH ANYTHING BUT DIRECT PULL (V-BRAKES) http://www.sram.com/en/service/avid/...D=1&subcatID=3 Take your pick
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 04:21 PM   #20
probable556
pedal head
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
[color=blue]
If it was as you said the pads wouldn't make it to the rim (half the cable) and the force applied would change. Guess what. The pads hit the rim, and they achieved the same amount of terminal force regardless of Speed Dial position. The only thing that changed was the position of the lever when the wheel achieved lock.
The purpose of the Speed Dial is to adjust the amount of leverage the lever applies, not to affect when the pad will contact the rim. The modulation, amount of cable travel relative to finger lever travel, is changed with that dial.
probable556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 04:30 PM   #21
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by probable556
The purpose of the Speed Dial is to adjust the amount of leverage the lever applies, not to affect when the pad will contact the rim. The modulation, amount of cable travel relative to finger lever travel, is changed with that dial.
That's true and applicable to what I had said. However the amount of cable needed to actuate the brakes doesn't change. These levers are NOT compatible with Canti's
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 05:58 PM   #22
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
4 finger?....seriously, you brake using all 4 fingers?
Actually no, I just like the way those Old School levers look. 2 finger levers work just fine. I just don't like the way they look.

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 11:44 PM   #23
gm1230126
barnfullagts
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: WI
Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try and find a better pair of cantilever brake levers than these. They're light adjustable and have always been known as one of the best if not "The Best" brake levers for canti's. Have ridden them going on 15 yrs. Two pair in that time. Some things do wear out with use.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RITCHEY-LOGIC-Br...QQcmdZViewItem
gm1230126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 09:50 AM   #24
TimJ
Senior Member
 
TimJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm1230126
Try and find a better pair of cantilever brake levers than these. They're light adjustable and have always been known as one of the best if not "The Best" brake levers for canti's. Have ridden them going on 15 yrs. Two pair in that time. Some things do wear out with use.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RITCHEY-LOGIC-Br...QQcmdZViewItem
I had those ritchey levers for a while and didn't care for them so much. They weren't bad, but most other levers I had used seemed better. They were just sort of sloppy.

cs1- I have a pair of suntour XCM lever I could sell or trade if you like big levers:

Like these: http://www.velomech.ch/images/parts/...bremshebel.jpg
__________________
fun facts: Psychopaths have trouble understanding abstract concepts.
"Incompetent individuals, compared with their more competent peers, will dramatically overestimate their ability and performance relative to objective criteria."
TimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 AM.