Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member JoeOxfordCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Grand Record LTD
    Posts
    1,652
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cannondale Caffeine 3 Frame Sizing Question..?

    Hi All,

    I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Caffeine 3. I will be ordering one rather than buying from a LBS.

    I am 5'10", 180lbs, normal proportion arms/legs/torso...I will be riding mostly fire roads and/or mild singletrack....nothing crazy. Stuff with the wife and kids too...also have a Burly Solo to pull. I will also be riding on the roads for exercise weekday mornings too.

    Their website is not very helpful with sizing...unless I'm missing something...

    Medium or Large frame ?

    Any feedback on the Caffeine 3 would also be appreciated too !

    Thanks,

    J.

  2. #2
    Mad Furyan Quick_Torch C5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    10-a-Sea
    My Bikes
    02 Cannondale Jekyll,06 Santa Cruz Heckler, 06 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 09 Santa Cruz Blur LT2
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
    Hi All,

    I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Caffeine 3. I will be ordering one rather than buying from a LBS.

    I am 5'10", 180lbs, normal proportion arms/legs/torso...I will be riding mostly fire roads and/or mild singletrack....nothing crazy. Stuff with the wife and kids too...also have a Burly Solo to pull. I will also be riding on the roads for exercise weekday mornings too.

    Their website is not very helpful with sizing...unless I'm missing something...

    Medium or Large frame ?

    Any feedback on the Caffeine 3 would also be appreciated too !

    Thanks,

    J.
    I know you're not going to like my answer, but a demo ride would best suit your question. I have a C'dale Jekyll (large), and I find it slightly too big for me(similar build as you). Your build is right in between medium and large size frames, so it is hard to point you in the right direction without you test driving each size frame. Stem length and seatpost height can also play a major part in fit
    Why is going slower harder?

  3. #3
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try to find a bike to demo. If thats not possible I would go for the med. A frame a little on small side for a mtnbike is much better than one that is too big. Thats just my opinion.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  4. #4
    Senior Member JoeOxfordCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Grand Record LTD
    Posts
    1,652
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, yes I may have to make a few calls to some LBS's to see who might have some on their floors.

    Anyone have any experience with the Caffeine models ???

  5. #5
    That's how I roll..
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
    Thanks, yes I may have to make a few calls to some LBS's to see who might have some on their floors.

    Anyone have any experience with the Caffeine models ???
    My wife has a small Caffeine F3. I am 5' 7.5", and I could ride this if it had a longer stem. I ride a medium normally. I would say you need a medium. Longer stems and seatposts are always available to make it fit right.

    Of course test riding one is a good idea.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sonoma county
    My Bikes
    none as of now
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i took a test ride on the caffeine 3 not to long ago. i took a ride on there small but it was to big high for me... im 5'7 but my legs are a bit short. heres a link to the caffeine 3 on the site. click on geometry and give it a look. if you have a bike right now i would try to compare the geometry of both.

    if u have any REI's around you you could test it out there and buy it somewhere else. not all reis carry them but some do. i personally chose my marin palisades over the caffeine 3. it just felt better.

    Oh and there was a small caffeine 3. the one that i rode was a small even thought they dont have it on there site.

    Good luck!

  7. #7
    Senior Member JoeOxfordCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Grand Record LTD
    Posts
    1,652
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I just came back from the LBS. I rode the F4 in both medium and large sizes. I like the large a little better....if I were going to do alot of technical riding I would probably select the medium but I will be doing a mix of on/off road riding and the large just felt more comfortable to me.....

    Next question....the Orange or Blue color ??????

    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/c...odel-7FS3.html
    Last edited by JoeOxfordCT; 05-23-07 at 10:50 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread, better late than ever...
    I'm 5' 11" and ordered a Medium Caffeine 29'er a year ago (F29) and it seems to be perfect.
    I'm a Roadie and although I've owned this Bike for almost exactly a year I've only taken it offroad twice, today was the second time and because we had so much rain last night the bike (and me) got covered in mud...
    As I was doing my post-ride hose down and clean of the bike I noticed the rear tire has very little clearance with the Frame, there was a ton of mud stuck in there...has anyone else noticed this?
    Maybe this isn't unusual for a 29'er?
    I know zero about MTB's as you can probably tell.

  9. #9
    Senior Member elemental's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar27 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, better late than ever...
    I'm 5' 11" and ordered a Medium Caffeine 29'er a year ago (F29) and it seems to be perfect.
    I'm a Roadie and although I've owned this Bike for almost exactly a year I've only taken it offroad twice, today was the second time and because we had so much rain last night the bike (and me) got covered in mud...
    As I was doing my post-ride hose down and clean of the bike I noticed the rear tire has very little clearance with the Frame, there was a ton of mud stuck in there...has anyone else noticed this?
    Maybe this isn't unusual for a 29'er?
    I know zero about MTB's as you can probably tell.
    I think I'm in your boat as well- standing about 5'11" and comfortable on a 56cm road bike, but my friend's 19" Specialized really feels huge and out of control (the fact that it really is a tank might have something to do with it). So 5'11" on a 17" isn't ridiculous? I'm really tempted to go that way on my mountain bike should I choose to accept (test ride may not be an option).

    EDIT: Just looked at the Specialized size chart, and no wonder: A 62cm top tube is quite a lot longer than I'm used to. Not trying to hijack this thread, but does it make sense that I would want to stick somewhat close to the TT measurement for my road bike? Does a 17" ("Medium") sound about right for someone 5'11" who prefers a little less bike to throw around?

    As with all of my MTB related posts, feel free to tell me I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by elemental; 01-05-08 at 10:07 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is different, I'm 5' 11" and ride a 58 Six13 because I prefer a larger Frame that I can sit into rather than feel that I'm perched on top of, but that's just me...

    I would say a Medium would be ideal for you but it depends on your Arm, Torso and Leg dimensions...there's only one way to find out what feels good and that is to take one out for a test ride...



    Quote Originally Posted by elemental View Post
    I think I'm in your boat as well- standing about 5'11" and comfortable on a 56cm road bike, but my friend's 19" Specialized really feels huge and out of control (the fact that it really is a tank might have something to do with it). So 5'11" on a 17" isn't ridiculous? I'm really tempted to go that way on my mountain bike should I choose to accept (test ride may not be an option).

    EDIT: Just looked at the Specialized size chart, and no wonder: A 62cm top tube is quite a lot longer than I'm used to. Not trying to hijack this thread, but does it make sense that I would want to stick somewhat close to the TT measurement for my road bike? Does a 17" ("Medium") sound about right for someone 5'11" who prefers a little less bike to throw around?

    As with all of my MTB related posts, feel free to tell me I'm an idiot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •