Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-07, 04:31 PM   #1
upsidedown1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Yucaipa,Ca
Bikes: 07 Spec. Epic Expert
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What the heck happened?!!

Ok, yesterday I went on a ride that I normaly do which is what I normaly do. However I was riding with someone I had not riden with before, and he seemed to be a great climber. I'm not the greatest on climbs yet, but I am working on it. Anyways I kept running short of energy. I was constantly having to stop and take breaks. Normaly this does not happen to the extent it did yesterday. Even on the downhill sections I was struggling for energy to get greater speed. Must of been something I ate or didn't eat perhaps. Any ideas on a good diet for someone who rides about 4 times a week, usualy 6-14 miles each ride. Looking at doing my first XC race in 3 weeks. I keep telling everyone that I'm not old, just A number.....40.
upsidedown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 04:48 PM   #2
austropithicus
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
No dude, hang it up. Maybe you can trade that fancy bike for a big screen TV?



Make sure you get plenty of protein with your carbs. Plus, plenty of B vitamins before a ride.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 04:55 PM   #3
iwantakona
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could have been the weather. High humidity and heat will beat you down to nothing if your doing anything slightly physical. Coulda been dehydrated. Could be catching a cold even. You just had a bad day thats all.
iwantakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 05:14 PM   #4
2slo2run
Senior Member
 
2slo2run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im 18 and I have different days too. My riding buddy is not a very good climber but he is always way ahead of me on the rest of the trail. I almost always catch him on the climbs though, when Im behind him. If he lets me on front I go 3x faster on the easier sections of trail with him on my a** the whole way and I tend to get burnt opn the climbs...

Oh man I hope in 22 years Im still riding out there.
2slo2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 05:15 PM   #5
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had lots of bad days. I wouldn't worry too much. You know 40 is the new 20. That makes me 21.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 05:29 PM   #6
upsidedown1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Yucaipa,Ca
Bikes: 07 Spec. Epic Expert
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys, thats what the guy I rode with said....just had a bad day. I thought a bad day was 3 or 4 crashes and a box of bandages, but now I realize thats a good day. Lets you know your still alive and kickin. Looking into my diet, now that I am riding more and more I am constantly craving food. Kind of like having the munchies except I just can't get enough.
upsidedown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 07:16 PM   #7
iwantakona
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown1 View Post
Thanks guys, thats what the guy I rode with said....just had a bad day. I thought a bad day was 3 or 4 crashes and a box of bandages, but now I realize thats a good day. Lets you know your still alive and kickin. Looking into my diet, now that I am riding more and more I am constantly craving food. Kind of like having the munchies except I just can't get enough.
Sounds like you have the same body type as me. I need massive amounts of carbs and am often overwhelmed with energy. If you have a fast metabolism like mine then you may have ran out of carbs. You may want to try a protein shake like weight lifters use if you just can't get full. But never ever eat an hour and a half before a ride. At least not a meal. Your body uses too much energy to break down it's food and on your ride you'll very much be tired. Avoid things like caffiene and other fake energy sources.
iwantakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 07:43 PM   #8
johnniewalker85
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantakona View Post
Sounds like you have the same body type as me. I need massive amounts of carbs and am often overwhelmed with energy. If you have a fast metabolism like mine then you may have ran out of carbs. You may want to try a protein shake like weight lifters use if you just can't get full. But never ever eat an hour and a half before a ride. At least not a meal. Your body uses too much energy to break down it's food and on your ride you'll very much be tired. Avoid things like caffiene and other fake energy sources.
He probably didn't "run out of carbs" but ran out of energy (calories). He also could have been dehydrated. You need water to break down food and body fat for energy. Also try gatorade or that new athletic drink with protein (i forget what its called). The sugar and protein in the drink will give you energy during your ride.

Also could have just been a bad day. Like the other guy said hot humid weather will make you tired faster.
johnniewalker85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 08:43 PM   #9
Shiva
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lol, I had a ride like that. Found out later my pads on my disk brakes were dragging the whole ride, grrrrr.
Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 08:50 PM   #10
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
You know 40 is the new 20. That makes me 21.
...and 50-something is the new thirty-something - - as long as I stay away from mirrors.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-07, 10:13 PM   #11
upsidedown1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Yucaipa,Ca
Bikes: 07 Spec. Epic Expert
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know I always keep myself hydrated, but it has been hot so maybe not enough. I use E-Gel energy gel with electrolytes just before and during my rides, always drinking plenty of liquids to go with it. Anyways I also thought it was break pads sticking, causing my legs to fry so quick and early, but they were fine. Conclusion...... just a bad day. Still going to work on my diet though.
upsidedown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 07:26 AM   #12
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown1 View Post
However I was riding with someone I had not riden with before, and he seemed to be a great climber.
This is the issue. I doubt it's your diet. When you ride with someone faster than you, you end up pushing yourself past what you normally do. You can get WAY out of your comfort zone really fast. The good news is that riding with such people will make you faster and a better rider in general. Good luck.

... Brad
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 08:39 AM   #13
upsidedown1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Yucaipa,Ca
Bikes: 07 Spec. Epic Expert
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought about that also, and you have a good point. I have to keep pushing, and sometimes when you ride by yourself you don't push yourself as hard. I guess I need to find more people faster and better than myself to help me along.
upsidedown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 08:47 AM   #14
Breitling
Senior Member
 
Breitling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SC
Bikes: 2011 Orbea Onix
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it's probably not the food, but try some bananas before you go out. it'll raise your potassium so you'll feel ok the whole time

it works for me.
Breitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 08:59 AM   #15
iwantakona
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
It's posts like this one that make this forum so amusing.

Thank you.
I'll admit that yes I am a noob to all this and I may not have the correct vocabulary BUT I have been doing physical activity all of my life and I may not know the lingo but I do know what works for me. Thanks for poking fun at a new person I'm sure with an attitude like that you promote the sport very well. So thank you sir!
iwantakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 09:02 AM   #16
Breitling
Senior Member
 
Breitling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SC
Bikes: 2011 Orbea Onix
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantakona View Post
I'll admit that yes I am a noob to all this and I may not have the correct vocabulary BUT I have been doing physical activity all of my life and I may not know the lingo but I do know what works for me. Thanks for poking fun at a new person I'm sure with an attitude like that you promote the sport very well. So thank you sir!
you do have to admit that your post, filled with grammatical and spelling errors, was pretty dumb.
Breitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 09:02 AM   #17
iwantakona
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling View Post
you do have to admit that your post, filled with grammatical and spelling errors, was pretty dumb.
I was half drunk and all the way asleep
iwantakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 09:13 AM   #18
willtsmith_nwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bad day ... everybody has em'. Look at the Tour. Those guys have the best sports nutrition. They have bad days.
willtsmith_nwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 10:32 AM   #19
iwantakona
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
It has nothing to do with vocabulary and lingo and everything to do with your fundamental lack of understanding regarding sports nutrition.

Pointing out the fact that your post was amusing has nothing to do with promoting the sport, or not. For that matter, how is posting erroneous advice "promoting the sport"?

I posted what works well for me. I was given most of that advice by a state champion body builder. It has worked pretty well for me considering I am 5'10" weigh 150 lbs and have very little extra bodyfat. I also just started this sport and managed to do 6 miles in 45 mins my very first trail ride and 9 miles in an hour my second trail ride. Wether I know anything about sports nutrition or not I think what I do works well for me and I was trying to encourage the guy. If he wanted great advice the internet is NOT the place to look. This is a BBS board and all you are going to get is opinions not factual based advice.
iwantakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 10:49 AM   #20
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantakona View Post
I also just started this sport and managed to do 6 miles in 45 mins my very first trail ride and 9 miles in an hour my second trail ride.
I don't wanna "discount your efforts", but if you wanted to impress someone with your ability...I wouldn't have posted those stats.

I'm sure that as you stick with the sport, enjoy it more and more, and hone your technical skills...you'll increase your speed. I wish I had a "state champion body builder" to give me advice, but I fear his/her advice would be inaplicable to my goals. I would become bulky/heavy instead of fast. I could be wrong though.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 10:55 AM   #21
Breitling
Senior Member
 
Breitling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SC
Bikes: 2011 Orbea Onix
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is there even such a thing as a state champion body builder?
Breitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 11:05 AM   #22
probable556
pedal head
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantakona View Post
Sounds like you have the same body type as me. I need massive amounts of carbs and am often overwhelmed with energy. If you have a fast metabolism like mine then you may have ran out of carbs. You may want to try a protein shake like weight lifters use if you just can't get full. But never ever eat an hour and a half before a ride. At least not a meal. Your body uses too much energy to break down it's food and on your ride you'll very much be tired. Avoid things like caffiene and other fake energy sources.
1. ALL endurance athletes use a significant amount of stored fat as energy- typically 30-50% for those in good shape. If all you are using is glycogen you are in terrible shape.

2. Why avoid caffeine? Many studies have shown benefit for endurance athletes like cyclists and runners.
probable556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 11:20 AM   #23
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 3,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by probable556 View Post

2. Why avoid caffeine? Many studies have shown benefit for endurance athletes like cyclists and runners.
Plus, caffeine loses most or all of its diuretic effect when used during strenuos activity.

I like a little caffiene boost late in a long ride. You might not, but there is no reason to avoid it in moderation

Last edited by C Law; 07-19-07 at 11:57 AM.
C Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 11:26 AM   #24
iwantakona
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by probable556 View Post
2. Why avoid caffeine? Many studies have shown benefit for endurance athletes like cyclists and runners.
I use to drink energy drinks and other sources of caffeine for energy until I realized increasing my heart rate before a cardio workout was a really bad idea. It can lead to premature heart failure. People have dropped dead due to way to much caffience before a fast paced cardio workout. Where are these studies? I have been told just the opposite by many athletes. If so why do sports players drink water and gatorade rather then a big cup of energy drink? I've never once seen a marathon runner gulp down a big cup of coffee before leaving the starting line. Yes caffiene will make you faster. It will also kill you in large amounts. Anymore then 200mg isn't helping you. That is my personal experience of what works for me. A larger person could probably use more.
I have no idea if there is a such thing as a state champion body builder but the guy is 5'8" 275 lbs and can bench 440 lbs(steroid free) so when he gives me advice on how to get stronger I listened.
iwantakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 11:29 AM   #25
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 3,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantakona View Post
I use to drink energy drinks and other sources of caffeine for energy until I realized increasing my heart rate before a cardio workout was a really bad idea. It can lead to premature heart failure. People have dropped dead due to way to much caffience before a fast paced cardio workout. Where are these studies? I have been told just the opposite by many athletes. If so why do sports players drink water and gatorade rather then a big cup of energy drink? I've never once seen a marathon runner gulp down a big cup of coffee before leaving the starting line. Yes caffiene will make you faster. It will also kill you in large amounts. Anymore then 200mg isn't helping you. That is my personal experience of what works for me. A larger person could probably use more. I have no idea if there is a such thing as a state champion body builder but the guy is 5'8" 275 lbs and can bench 440 lbs(steroid free) so when he gives me advice on how to get stronger I listened.
How fast is he on a bike?
C Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 AM.