Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 95
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Upgrading a Wal-Mart Bike (yes...I know, but read it anyway)

    In 2003 I got a Schwinn Aluminum Comp from Wal-Mart and used it mainly for pavement riding...it's been tuned pretty well, and all of the parts still work like new (wheels are true, brakes stop well, derailleurs shift niecely)...I know it's a dept. store bike, but read on...

    Earlier this year, one of my friends took me mountain biking. He was in a $600+ GT Full Suspension Bike, but I kept up pretty well on my cheap Schwinn. Afterwards, I inspected the bike and found that everything was working perfectly. I went biking on the local 7.5 mile trail pretty frequently after that (about 2-3x a week for the last couple of months)...even though lots of the riders are on full suspension, disc brake and XTR equipped bikes, I don't feel like my inexpensive bike is letting me down. The other day I even passed this guy on one of those $1000 bikes when he couldn't make it up a steep climb...

    So since my Schwinn was performing pretty well, I decided to make some upgrades. I switched the stock tires for some Kevlar-Beaded WTB Velociraptors in the front and IRC Mythos XC in the rear. I also swapped the stock Altus rear derailleur for a 2006 Deore M510, which shifts a lot more crisply than the Altus. Recently, I managed to bend the seatpost coming off a bad landing (nothing else damaged though), so that's going to be replaced with a new alloy one as well. I recently weighed this bike, and it's about 30 lbs in an 18" size. A little heavy, yes, but not that much heavier than say, a $500 bike.

    At this point, my question is whether it's worth further upgrading this bike. As it is, I feel like it works at least decently well on the local trail, though the RST fork feels stiff and short on travel (they advertise 63mm, but in reality it's more like 25mm). I was looking into getting a Manitou Axel or RockShox Dart 2 as an upgrade, and also switching out the stock hubs and wheelset for a lighter set (looking at a set of Mavics on Deore hubs)...the fork would probably run around $120, and the wheelset close to that also. The price of all of these upgrades is more than the original cost of the bike (around $200), so I was wondering whether a new fork and wheelset really made a huge difference in feel on the trail. I'm going to be a HS senior next year, so I'll probably only be able to go riding a few times a month.

    If getting a new fork and wheelset aren't worth it, would there be any worthwhile cheap upgrades to make that would improve performance on the trail?

    The Current Specs:

    18" 6061 Aluminum Frame with 1 1/8" Threadless Headset (Cane Creek Aheadset)
    RST 191 CL 63mm Fork
    SR Suntour 22/32/42 Crankset
    Tourney Front Der/Deore M510 Rear Der/7 SP Revoshift grip shifters
    Alloy Linear Pull Brakes
    Alex Alloy Rims, QR Hubs

    Oh, and I'm 5"11, about 160 lbs, so I don't think I am too much of a burden on the frame

    Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
    Last edited by 996GT2; 07-28-07 at 07:10 PM.

  2. #2
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller 2010 DMR Transition 26
    Posts
    18,341
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrodzilla
    I'm going out on the town tonight and it won't be over until I snort a line of habanero seeds off the hood of a red Fiero.
    Words and Stuff.
    pedal room thingy

  3. #3
    Topic Killer Captain Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Somerset, Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Mongoose Blackcomb... It's crap :D
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree...

    Generally, as long as the welds are good, the frame quality is similar to high price bikes. I would not do the wheel change, but with the suspension, I would probably do that. Just don't spend more than about the price of a specalized rockhopper upgrading the walmart bike. If you think you will, don't. Just go buy a rockhopper instead.

    For instance, I ride a mongoose blackcomb from wal mart (normally $280, I got it for $75 with a new back tire, returned cause the old one popped) and it has mid quality parts found on bikes such as lower priced Specialized, GT, and Trek. The parts are mostly brand names like these: (RST, Quando, Sr Suntour, cane creek, kenda, Shimano Altus[mid quality shifters by shimano], PROMAX, Kenda, and wtb)

    Since I only paid $75, I can afford to upgrade it without spending much more money than a bike with the same parts I started with. That way, I'll have a nicer bike at about the same price.

    Pretty much, do what makes you happy. Your bike won't need to suit anyone but you. As long as its a strong frame, already had a 3 pc crank and 1 1/8" head tube, you pretty much aren't limited on what you can do with it.

    Don't listen to the people that say buy this, buy that. It makes little difference what other people think, as long as you like it.

    I say: Go for it.

    -Crash

    Wow, just went back over your post. Upgrade the front fork, leave the wheels alone. You will see a big change in performance. Go with an SR suntour fork with about 90mm of travel, you will love it.
    Last edited by Captain Crash; 07-28-07 at 06:57 PM.
    Oh noes!

  4. #4
    Senior Member JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Munising, Michigan, USA
    My Bikes
    Hifi 29er, Stumpy 29er, Rockhopper 29er, ...
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great that you're out riding. Don't ever be intimidated by other rider's expensive bikes. OTOH, don't put them down either. I've been known to push my own bike up a hill now and again. (I'm 45) But I'm out riding and having fun and getting some much needed exercise, and that's what matters, right?

    Getting down to the question of upgrading your bike, I would be wary of investing more in upgrades than the bike is worth. Do you really need that new wheelset? If the old wheelset is still true, why not keep it and put that money aside for a new bike down the road? Ditto the fork, though I do tend to believe you would notice a fork upgrade a whole lot more than a wheelset upgrade.

    FWIW, I've been struggling with the same sorts of questions as you when it comes to upgrading my two-year-old Rockhopper. When I add up the cost of all the new parts I want to install on the bike, the total comes to more than the bike is worth. So I've been lowering my expectations a bit, deciding that I can live without some of the nice-to-haves, and prioritizing the work so that I can do the most important things first and worry about the rest later.

    Good luck in your decision.

  5. #5
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller 2010 DMR Transition 26
    Posts
    18,341
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
    I disagree...

    Generally, as long as the welds are good, the frame quality is similar to high price bikes. I would not do the wheel change, but with the suspension, I would probably do that. Just don't spend more than about the price of a specalized rockhopper upgrading the walmart bike. If you think you will, don't. Just go buy a rockhopper instead.

    For instance, I ride a mongoose blackcomb from wal mart (normally $280, I got it for $75 with a new back tire, returned cause the old one popped) and it has mid quality parts found on bikes such as lower priced Specialized, GT, and Trek. The parts are mostly brand names like these: (RST, Quando, Sr Suntour, cane creek, kenda, Shimano Altus[mid quality shifters by shimano], PROMAX, Kenda, and wtb)

    Since I only paid $75, I can afford to upgrade it without spending much more money than a bike with the same parts I started with. That way, I'll have a nicer bike at about the same price.

    Pretty much, do what makes you happy. Your bike won't need to suit anyone but you. As long as its a strong frame, already had a 3 pc crank and 1 1/8" head tube, you pretty much aren't limited on what you can do with it.

    Don't listen to the people that say buy this, buy that. It makes little difference what other people think, as long as you like it.

    I say: Go for it.

    -Crash

    Wow, just went back over your post. Upgrade the front fork, leave the wheels alone. You will see a big change in performance. Go with an SR suntour fork with about 90mm of travel, you will love it.
    It isn't worth it, there is no real point to putting good parts on a frame that is weaker than a broken, wet Q-tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrodzilla
    I'm going out on the town tonight and it won't be over until I snort a line of habanero seeds off the hood of a red Fiero.
    Words and Stuff.
    pedal room thingy

  6. #6
    Topic Killer Captain Crash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Somerset, Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Mongoose Blackcomb... It's crap :D
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh! Its aluminum!

    I guess that would be a good bit weaker than box tube frame like the blackcomb...

    Sorry, didn't take that into account.

    EDIT: It seems to be really weak around the headtube.
    Oh noes!

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
    Ahhh! Its aluminum!

    I guess that would be a good bit weaker than box tube frame like the blackcomb...

    Sorry, didn't take that into account.

    EDIT: It seems to be really weak around the headtube.
    The headtube seems to be the most reinforced part of the bike ...thick welds around the whole part with reinforced pieces in that area also...maybe I can post some pics up once I find my camera.

    I'm assuming also that the frame isn't too strong, but I guess I'm lucky it hasn't cracked yet on me

  8. #8
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Parker, 2005 Jamis Komodo, 1998 Jamis Komodo, 198? Raleigh Pointe, 1978 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2
    Posts
    10,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
    Bears are no fun.

    Trust me, I've seen one from 20 feet.
    Taking this "bear thing" a little far, eh?

    Don't let it define you or be such a big part of your alter-cyber ego, right?

  9. #9
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
    Ahhh! Its aluminum!

    I guess that would be a good bit weaker than box tube frame like the blackcomb...

    Sorry, didn't take that into account.

    EDIT: It seems to be really weak around the headtube.

    What the........I love this place.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  10. #10
    ಠ_ಠ DevilsGT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SF
    My Bikes
    One of the first Aluminum Rockhoppers to come with front suspension.
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raiyn is going to have a stroke when he sees this thread.
    Singletrack Mind

  11. #11
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsGT2 View Post
    Raiyn is going to have a stroke when he sees this thread.
    Great!
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Raton, New Mexico
    My Bikes
    Monument Buckhorn
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a new-again rider, and brand new to the forum here. Something keeps bugging me though:

    The other day I even passed this guy on one of those $1000 bikes when he couldn't make it up a steep climb...
    I don't know why many riders stereotype other riders by the price of their bikes. The two things are entirely unrelated. As if someone with a more expensive car is a better/worse driver, or someone with a more expensive home is a better/worse housekeeper.

    So why do you think you should have or shouldn't have been able to pass another rider just because their bike 'looked' relatively expensive compared to your's?

    --------------------
    Sorry to go off on that...
    Back to your original question regarding the upgrade. Something that hasn't been mentioned: if you do upgrade the front shocks and spend more than the bike is worth, you could still use those shocks if/when you upgrade to a stronger more expensive frame in the future.

    Best Wishes,
    -Bob

  13. #13
    unofficial roadie DirtPedalerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out in the woods you see
    My Bikes
    2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 996GT2 View Post
    I switched the stock tires for some Kevlar-Beaded WTB Velociraptors in the front and IRC Mythos XC in the rear.
    Why would you not pick a pair of these tires and get a matching set? they both have a front and rear and are pretty similar. Normally when someone does something like this they have a reson .. please explain.

    regarding the upgrade or replace... I'd recommending upgrading to a Target bike.

  14. #14
    ...is my hero! DylanTremblay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    My Bikes
    2008 Kink Whip, 2006 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Norco Wolverine, 2006 Iron Horse FsZ
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't put anymore money into that big. It is seriously not worth it. Ride it till it breaks then buy a real bike.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't bother changing the wheels. You won't notice a difference.

    Feel free to experiment with tires. You will notice a difference.

    You might want to change your fork. You will notice a difference.

    You might want to ignore t*rds like Mr. Smashy and DylanTremblay. Anyone who says "get a real bike" will never make a difference.

    Good luck!
    Jitensha de GO!

  16. #16
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianwh View Post
    Don't bother changing the wheels. You won't notice a difference.

    Feel free to experiment with tires. You will notice a difference.

    You might want to change your fork. You will notice a difference.

    You might want to ignore t*rds like Mr. Smashy and DylanTremblay. Anyone who says "get a real bike" will never make a difference.

    Good luck!
    You may want to stick to threads giving advice on covering up man-boobs. You obviously are way out of your element here.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Breitling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SC
    My Bikes
    2011 Orbea Onix
    Posts
    503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should just save up about $300 more and keep your $200 and get a real mtb. Honestly, you'd be a lot happier doing that. If you like your schwinn, just ride it til it dies. I completely disagree with anything that Captain Crash has said in this thread because once you ride a nice bike regularly as opposed to some mongoose x-mart p.o.s. you'll notice a difference. We can all lie to ourselves and say it would be the same, but we'd just be lying to ourselves. Save up $500, and get something nice. You definitely won't regret it.
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live." -Mark Twain

    Orbea Onix (Ultegra/105)

  18. #18
    Blasted Weeds Tude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitling View Post
    you should just save up about $300 more and keep your $200 and get a real mtb. Honestly, you'd be a lot happier doing that. If you like your schwinn, just ride it til it dies. I completely disagree with anything that Captain Crash has said in this thread because once you ride a nice bike regularly as opposed to some mongoose x-mart p.o.s. you'll notice a difference. We can all lie to ourselves and say it would be the same, but we'd just be lying to ourselves. Save up $500, and get something nice. You definitely won't regret it.

    What he said!!!!!!!!

  19. #19
    BFG
    BFG is offline
    Just say no to brakes. BFG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Guildford...Perth...Western Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant Rincon, Sanki road bike, Iron Horse SGS and DBR BSX Comp.
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people are saying save up another 300 dollars. I know that that can be a very hard thing for a teenager to do.
    Id suggest that you ride what yuo can be happy to afford.
    You say you like your bike, but not the fork, and you can afford to upgrade the fork. So do just that.
    Some people on here dont understand the concept of not having a credit card/unlimite budget. Do wat you want, its your bike. So long as youre riding, who cares?

  20. #20
    Is this gonna hurt? MaxBrokeAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Elite DS (custom components)
    Posts
    380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a threadless headtube setup? Most X-mart bikes have the old threaded design...but if its threadless and your looking for a dart 2, Im selling my slightly used one for cheap...PM me if your interested.
    Myidolis Says: "clickety flickety? Well i have no idea what your bikes problem is, but your description probably contains the most onomatopoeia i've seen in awhile."

  21. #21
    pedal head
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ONLY things you should "upgrade" on that bike:

    1. Fix flat tire
    2. Fix broken chain
    3. Adjust DR
    4. Replace tires... if it lasts that long.

    Eventually donate bike to charity and buy complete bike.
    [SIGPIC]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/probable556/BF_Sig_Small2Custom.jpg[/SIGPIC]

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Abbotsford BC
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do any upgrades make sure that the parts or of good quality, and that they are swappable. Realistically you could up grade the entire bike and at a later date pic up a new frame, swapping over all your upgrade parts. But then nobody would have anything to ***** about....up to you.

  23. #23
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New bike!

  24. #24
    unofficial roadie DirtPedalerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out in the woods you see
    My Bikes
    2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike
    Posts
    1,444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    23 post and noone has said it so I'll throw it in.

    Don't polish a turd

  25. #25
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianwh View Post
    You might want to ignore t*rds like Mr. Smashy and DylanTremblay. Anyone who says "get a real bike" will never make a difference.
    But aren't WalMart bikes under the heading of "toys" in their website? Aren't there warning stickers on the frames saying not to be used off trail? I could be wrong. But I have learned quite a bit from both Mr. Smashy and Dylan and I respect what they have to say.

    I think maybe they were probably not only talking performance but perhaps safety?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •