Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-07, 06:03 PM   #1
Okieslims
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike fit contradictions

I'm having a bit of a problem with finding my correct fit. When I was ipmba certified they put me on a bike and had me sitting really high and clipping in. When I went to my LBS, they wanted to put me on something that allowed me to put my feet down easily while sitting on the saddle. Needless to say, I'm confused. I thought there was only one way to fit somebody to a bike. I also thought that fitting somebody properly meant that their leg was almost straight when they were in the saddle and the pedal was at the bottom of it's rotation. If thats the case, touching the ground comfortably with both feet while in the saddle isnt an option.

So who was right? My LBS or my IPMBA instructor? Thanks

Last edited by Okieslims; 08-02-07 at 06:14 PM.
Okieslims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 06:24 PM   #2
probable556
pedal head
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okieslims View Post
I thought there was only one way to fit somebody to a bike.
Nope. Would you want the same fit on a XC bike and a DH bike? Depends on the rider and the terrain.
probable556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 06:45 PM   #3
Okieslims
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah. I guess your right. Still we did a lot of different things with the ipmba training including going down a flight of stairs(10 steps) and it felt pretty good for everything we did. Seemed like a good set up for street and obstacles. Not sure what I need for a dirt set up. I'll talk it over with both my instructor and my LBS I guess.
Okieslims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 07:17 PM   #4
MaxBrokeAway
Is this gonna hurt?
 
MaxBrokeAway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntsville, AL
Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Elite DS (custom components)
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yea...i prefer a shorter top tube length than most people my height..and i only like my feet to be an inch or so off the ground...its all preference buddy
MaxBrokeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 07:33 AM   #5
Bike Lover
Should be riding
 
Bike Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even road bikes fits can be different depending on what you are looking for. There's a fit calculator, on the internet that will show 3 different settings, depending on what theory you want to follow. The best advice I've seen about this is; even if you get professionally fitted, don't be afraid to change things, in small increments, to find the perfect fit.
Bike Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 07:49 AM   #6
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend
 
junkyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: American Gardens Building
Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Lover View Post
Even road bikes fits can be different depending on what you are looking for. There's a fit calculator, on the internet that will show 3 different settings, depending on what theory you want to follow. The best advice I've seen about this is; even if you get professionally fitted, don't be afraid to change things, in small increments, to find the perfect fit.
Where is the calculator? I'd be interested in seeing it.
junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 07:57 AM   #7
GV27
Light Makes Right
 
GV27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Green Mountain, Colorado
Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okieslims View Post
I'm having a bit of a problem with finding my correct fit. When I was ipmba certified they put me on a bike and had me sitting really high and clipping in. When I went to my LBS, they wanted to put me on something that allowed me to put my feet down easily while sitting on the saddle. Needless to say, I'm confused. I thought there was only one way to fit somebody to a bike. I also thought that fitting somebody properly meant that their leg was almost straight when they were in the saddle and the pedal was at the bottom of it's rotation. If thats the case, touching the ground comfortably with both feet while in the saddle isnt an option.

So who was right? My LBS or my IPMBA instructor? Thanks
Your IPMBA instructor. Fitting someone so they can put their foot down while sitting is just plain dumb. I guess it's good for somebody who doesn't know how to ride a bike very well - that's how I initially fit my 4-year-old to his bike - but lousy for someone who does know how to ride. Exactly how high the seat should be is a matter for debate and depends on your physiology, what you're doing with the bike, etc. but is ALWAYS in relation to the pedals, not the ground!

Either the guy at the shop didn't know what he was doing, or they have trained him to do that so they don't get sued when somebody isn't good enough on the bike to hop off the saddle when stopping and falls over and gets hurt.

edit: just reread the OP - BOTH feet COMFORTABLY on the ground? You gotta be friggin' kidding me! That's a sure recipe for knee pain unless you're doing downhill or hucking or something like that where you're never sitting anyway......that's just an incredibly bad way to fit someone on a bike!

Last edited by GV27; 08-03-07 at 08:16 AM.
GV27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 08:30 AM   #8
Bike Lover
Should be riding
 
Bike Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard View Post
Where is the calculator? I'd be interested in seeing it.
Competitive Cyclist has it for road bikes. The mountain bike section just gives a range of distances for specific areas of the bike.

For roa, it has a "competitive fit", "Eddy fit", and "French fit". Each for a different theory of bike fitting. Still neat to play around with.
Bike Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.