Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-07, 09:18 PM   #1
k5ride
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Help picking out an entry level mountain bike!

I'm looking to buy my first non-department store (aka: POS) mountain bike. My budget is $500 and that's kind of pushing it! 90% of my time is spent on gravel roads, the other 10% on pavement. All I want is a bike that won't fall apart after a few rides. The few bikes I have found in my price range and that I really like are:

Specialized Hardrock Sport $389.99
Giant Rincon $420.00
Trek 4300 $389.00

Any advice that ya'll can give me be will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ken
k5ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 09:20 PM   #2
nmt6789
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Garden City, NY
Bikes: Nothing yet
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go To Your Local Bike Store And Ride What They Have There.
nmt6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 10:34 PM   #3
zmorgan
Non-Prophet
 
zmorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MD
Bikes: Trek 4300; Jamis Ventura Race
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I rode both the Trek and Giant, and like the Trek better. All my research pointed toward the Giant though. When it came down to how I felt on the bike, I just could do it, and bought the Trek.
zmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 11:43 PM   #4
k5ride
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What really sucks is that I don't have a local bike shop. The closest bike shop to me is a hour away, but once I'm in that area though there are prolly 15 different shops within 20 minutes of each other. It can eat up a whole day just driving around looking at bikes. Once I have narrowed my search down a bit so that I know which brands I'm looking for, I can pick and choose the shops that are closest to one another that have those brands. Does this make since? lol!
k5ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 05:55 AM   #5
Podolak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Syracuse, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5ride View Post
I'm looking to buy my first non-department store (aka: POS) mountain bike. My budget is $500 and that's kind of pushing it! 90% of my time is spent on gravel roads, the other 10% on pavement. All I want is a bike that won't fall apart after a few rides. The few bikes I have found in my price range and that I really like are:

Specialized Hardrock Sport $389.99
Giant Rincon $420.00
Trek 4300 $389.00

Any advice that ya'll can give me be will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ken
All three are fine choices. Take that hour drive one day and ride them all. Whichever has the best fit is what you should stick with. Don't be afraid to go back for a second or third ride to narrow down your choice. You will be happy with any of three as an entry level rig.
Podolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 02:49 PM   #6
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5ride View Post
What really sucks is that I don't have a local bike shop. The closest bike shop to me is a hour away, but once I'm in that area though there are prolly 15 different shops within 20 minutes of each other. It can eat up a whole day just driving around looking at bikes. Once I have narrowed my search down a bit so that I know which brands I'm looking for, I can pick and choose the shops that are closest to one another that have those brands. Does this make since? lol!
Not at all. Because if you go looking for just the brands that were suggested you might miss a bike that "feels perfect" Suck it up and go to the shops, that's the only way you'll get a feel for what works for you. See our FAQ Please Read Before asking Question: MTB FAQ.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 09:36 PM   #7
k5ride
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The reason that I wanted brand recommendations is due to the fact that I don't have a clue who makes quality bikes. I do plan on trying out a wide variety of bikes but, I'd like have some idea of what to look for. Maybe a better question would be, are there any brands that I need to stay away from?
k5ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 11:41 AM   #8
dwtlax
New to the road
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: CT during the school year/ DE during the summers!
Bikes: Road is a Airborne
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Kona Kula Primo (high end mtb) and I have the Trek 4300 (with the kid seat) the Trek is as stable but not as fast.. The 4300 will treat you very well as a beginner bike. But start saving up for the next one!!
dwtlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 AM.