Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-07, 12:34 AM   #1
massive89
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike accident near death!!!

Junior Member
hey i posted this somewere else but id figure it was a good story and should have its own thread...also if anybody had near death experiences tell me about em.

Join Date: Jul 2007 welll...im still a newb but ..anyways i bought my hardrock comp disc 08 just 2 weeks ago witout a helmet. so my friends and i decide to go test it on some urban downhill racing(concrete). we hit to trails and my friends are on on bmx bikes so thier turning is better because of the smaller wheel base. so i am racing 1st place at like 30-35mph...then i seel ike stone walls that surround the side of the trails the passage way gets smaller and the stone walls start to get closer and closer...suddenly a nice turn comes up...worst mistake ever i braked wit the back brakes hard so my bike is sliding sideways towards tha wall so then i hit the front brakes and the front wheel first turns right and i go over tha bars at like 20 mpd and rolll three times my bike ended up god knows where and im on the floor.so i quickly get up and this is either strenght or jus the adrenaline pump...i start walkin holding my head and my friends tell me to sit down because i was bleeding. I didnt believe them until i saw the blood dripping off my hands and wrist. so i get driven to the emergencey room in the hospital.luckily i didnt crack my head i scrapped it up pretty bad hurt my shoulder and broke a wrist. I guees its good the damage was spread through my body then jus my head because that would have been way worse. luckily no brain injuries neck or spine. so my friends the next thrree days drops off my bike and the only thing wrong with it was the saddle.....and no scratches!!!!!!! welll im jus lucky im alive my wrist is broken so i cant weightlift at the gym anymore for at least a month but at least i have my brain and can still get strait As at school. Also the scarrs are healing up well and the hair is growing back on the bald spots the concrete gave me. so two good lessons i learned is to wear a helmet and to press both brakes at the same time.
massive89 is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 12:50 AM   #2
Funkychicken
mmm... chicken!
 
Funkychicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Bikes: 04 Kona Blast
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
darwin misses again...

/sorry
Funkychicken is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 01:02 AM   #3
wethepeople
Long haired freak.
 
wethepeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Still stuck in hell.
Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You get straight A's with that spelling?

If I spelled like that my teachers would whip me, and it wouldn't be the sexy kind of whipping either.
__________________

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

wethepeople is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 01:03 AM   #4
filtersweep
Senior Member
 
filtersweep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes... at least you still have your brain.
filtersweep is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 01:44 AM   #5
blue_neon
Elite Rep
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
You get straight A's with that spelling?
Yes i was wondering that about him aswell
blue_neon is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 06:29 AM   #6
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend
 
junkyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: American Gardens Building
Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massive89 View Post
at least i have my brain
This is questionable.
junkyard is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 06:33 AM   #7
shortbus901
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Key West, FL
Bikes: 2013 Surly Karate Monkey, 2006 Lemond Versailles, 2011 Bianchi Milano
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
You get straight A's with that spelling?

If I spelled like that my teachers would whip me, and it wouldn't be the sexy kind of whipping either.
This.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what was just said. Glad you're ok though.
shortbus901 is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 06:41 AM   #8
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 3,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I thought the most important part was when you learned to press both brakes at the same time.

And that's one to grow on.
C Law is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 07:26 AM   #9
santiago
sarcasm meter: jerk mode
 
santiago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montréal, QC, Canada
Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
Posts: 4,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Kurt View Post
I thought the most important part was when you learned to press both brakes at the same time.

And that's one to grow on.
And knowing is half the battle.
__________________
First Class Jerk
santiago is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 07:35 AM   #10
urodacus
Large Member
 
urodacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Okinawa
Bikes: 05 Giant TCR 0; 83 Colnago Saronni; 81 San Rensho Katana Super Export track bike, #A116-56; 97 GT Zaskar
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
where's the death part? and we want PICTURES
urodacus is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 07:46 AM   #11
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Bikes: A bunch
Posts: 3,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago View Post
And knowing is half the battle.
Flint- Don't get mad at your goalie for letting in a bad goal

Will yelling at Billy help?... Look, if you want to play your best you got to play like a team. Remember, you need teamwork to win, not arguments.
C Law is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 07:56 AM   #12
sherpaPeak
rider of the east
 
sherpaPeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard View Post
This is questionable.
I agree. and I also wonder if the accident has anything to do with his brain (or lack there of).

OP. dude..thats not a near death experience. thats just the first lesson on when and how to break. Also, its the first warning to buy and wear a helmet....you have a long way to go before you can have a near death experience. But, seeing your level of common sense, I am very optimistic that you will get that experience rather soon.

good luck.
sherpaPeak is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 08:18 AM   #13
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze
 
I_bRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Corbyville Ontario
Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massive89 View Post
so two good lessons i learned is to wear a helmet and to press both brakes at the same time.
Next lesson: Paragraphs and sentence structure.
I_bRAD is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 10:18 AM   #14
probable556
pedal head
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by massive89 View Post
Junior Member
hey i posted this somewere else but id figure it was a good story and should have its own thread...also if anybody had near death experiences tell me about em.

Join Date: Jul 2007 welll...im still a newb but ..anyways i bought my hardrock comp disc 08 just 2 weeks ago witout a helmet. so my friends and i decide to go test it on some urban downhill racing(concrete). we hit to trails and my friends are on on bmx bikes so thier turning is better because of the smaller wheel base. so i am racing 1st place at like 30-35mph...then i seel ike stone walls that surround the side of the trails the passage way gets smaller and the stone walls start to get closer and closer...suddenly a nice turn comes up...worst mistake ever i braked wit the back brakes hard so my bike is sliding sideways towards tha wall so then i hit the front brakes and the front wheel first turns right and i go over tha bars at like 20 mpd and rolll three times my bike ended up god knows where and im on the floor.so i quickly get up and this is either strenght or jus the adrenaline pump...i start walkin holding my head and my friends tell me to sit down because i was bleeding. I didnt believe them until i saw the blood dripping off my hands and wrist. so i get driven to the emergencey room in the hospital.luckily i didnt crack my head i scrapped it up pretty bad hurt my shoulder and broke a wrist. I guees its good the damage was spread through my body then jus my head because that would have been way worse. luckily no brain injuries neck or spine. so my friends the next thrree days drops off my bike and the only thing wrong with it was the saddle.....and no scratches!!!!!!! welll im jus lucky im alive my wrist is broken so i cant weightlift at the gym anymore for at least a month but at least i have my brain and can still get strait As at school. Also the scarrs are healing up well and the hair is growing back on the bald spots the concrete gave me. so two good lessons i learned is to wear a helmet and to press both brakes at the same time.
probable556 is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 04:32 PM   #15
Ricardo
Hazardous biker
 
Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bogotá, Colombia
Bikes: 2005 Santa Cruz Blur Classic
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dude,
not wearing a helmet is not a choice. Go get one ASAP!

RR
Ricardo is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 05:10 PM   #16
nycphotography
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,049
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I would think that not bombing full speed down unknown roads at uncontrollable speeds would be the first lesson. Whack that stone wall just right, and helmet or not, nothing can keep your neck from snapping like a twig.

But then what do I know.
nycphotography is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 05:49 PM   #17
blackknight81
XC is the way to be!!!!
 
blackknight81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montrose, Co.
Bikes: '94 Giant Yukon. The only thing on the bike that is stock is the QR for the seat post. Everything else is custom made for me and my style of riding. 2001 Giant NRS Custom Built as well.
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey!!! Cut him some slack!!! All we do is talk about how we want new riders and the younger generation to pick up a bike, love it, and not quit when the turn 16. So this is how we are going to do that, by bashing on them because they didn't spell a few words to our satisfaction. Grow up!!! As far as him not wearing a helemet, get on him all you want.

Massive89, GET A FREAKING HELMET!!!! What are you thinking? I know that some times you just want to get out there and ride, but always use a helmet. Just one small spill could be your last.
blackknight81 is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 05:54 PM   #18
DevilsGT2
ಠ_ಠ
 
DevilsGT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF
Bikes: One of the first Aluminum Rockhoppers to come with front suspension.
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight81 View Post
Just one small spill could be your last.
That's true, with or without a helmet. Being cautious and knowing your limits > wearing a helmet.
DevilsGT2 is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 09:53 PM   #19
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You bring shame to the rest of us young people who are actually somewhat intelligent.

oh wait:

u brin sham to teh rest of us youn ppl who r actully somewaht intaliget
BenLi is offline  
Old 08-21-07, 10:07 PM   #20
none
eh
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Bikes: 2006 Specialized Allez Comp, 1999 Trek 7000, 2007 Santa Cruz Heckler
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massive89 View Post
Join Date: Jul 2007 welll...im still a newb but ..anyways i bought my hardrock comp disc 08 just 2 weeks ago witout a helmet.
If I was to do something as stupid as blast down an unknown course without a helmet and bailed that hard, you can be damn sure I would keep it quiet, and sure as hell wouldn't point out that I didn't have a lid on.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. All you accomplished is to make me (and probably everyone else who wasted their time with this thread) think you're a moron. Although your comment about "strait As" was amusing. Not much common sense for someone who's that smart...

Go buy a helmet. Mine saved me from a concussion (or worse) two days ago.

And yes, I do feel better.
none is offline  
Old 08-22-07, 06:56 AM   #21
blackknight81
XC is the way to be!!!!
 
blackknight81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montrose, Co.
Bikes: '94 Giant Yukon. The only thing on the bike that is stock is the QR for the seat post. Everything else is custom made for me and my style of riding. 2001 Giant NRS Custom Built as well.
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin View Post
We do?

Do you have any links for me so I can see us doing that?

If you don't want kids to bike then keep acting just like that. The comment is, and was meant, in a very general manner. I know that I hear that stament made a lot from the riders around here. So you sir can take a flying leap. I know this much the outer world thinks we are a bunch of stuck up, full of ourselve, butwipes. They must only run ito people like you!!!
blackknight81 is offline  
Old 08-22-07, 07:06 AM   #22
Blue Jays
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: United States
Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes
Posts: 1,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massive89
"...welll im jus lucky im alive my wrist is broken so i cant weightlift at the gym anymore for at least a month but at least i have my brain and can still get strait As at school. Also the scarrs are healing up well and the hair is growing back on the bald spots the concrete gave me. so two good lessons i learned is to wear a helmet and to press both brakes at the same time..."
I don't believe this part of the story is truthful.
Blue Jays is offline  
Old 08-22-07, 02:58 PM   #23
skiahh
Senior Member
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massive89 View Post
luckily no brain injuries

I call BS on that one!

Er... unless you wrote this way before your fall...
skiahh is offline  
Old 08-22-07, 03:00 PM   #24
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
I don't believe this part of the story is truthful.
Oh, I do . . . remember, his teachers were the straight C students in college
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 08-22-07, 03:02 PM   #25
skiahh
Senior Member
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight81 View Post
If you don't want kids to bike then keep acting just like that.
And if we want kids to remain illiterate and unintelligible, we'll follow your path.

Personally, I'd rather see a literate non-cyclist than a cyclist who writes (and maybe speaks) in jibberish.
skiahh is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 AM.