ZOIC Emphasizes Sustainability in 2008 Product Line
SAN DIEGO, California, August 20th, 2007 – ZOIC Clothing, the cycling and outdoor clothing manufacturer, today unveiled their Spring 2008 product line that renews their commitment to sustainability through the integration of recycled and renewable materials. Innovative fabrics added to the collection this year include recycled bamboo/polyester knits in performance jerseys and tees, recycled bamboo/cotton woven fabric for the shorts and knickers and 100 percent organic cotton tees.
“Going green” may be the buzz these days, but ZOIC has always had roots in the green scene, having been the first to produce Earth-friendly Sportwool jerseys and tees for example. “Sustainability isn’t new to us”, said Eric Swenson, General Manager, “but thankfully the market has started catching up, creating more opportunities for our designers and our followers.” This season ZOIC produced new knit fabrics for women’s tees and jerseys using a 31 percent bamboo/69 percent polyester blend and used a 43 percent bamboo/57 percent polyester blend for men’s tops. The bamboo story continues into woven bottoms by using a 50 percent bamboo/50 percent cotton blend that enhances ZOIC’s lifelong cotton program.
Integrating bamboo into the woven and knit pieces has numerous comfort, performance and environmental benefits:
• Bamboo fabric is softer than cotton with a texture similar to silk.
• Bamboo is a naturally antibacterial and hypoallergenic fabric.
• Bamboo fabric wicks away moisture and dries faster than cotton.
• Bamboo clothes can be worn all year round as they keep you cool in summer and warm in winter.
• Bamboo fabric protects against the sun with its natural UV protection.
• Bamboo is grown without the use of chemicals or pesticides.
• Bamboo is a fast growing and self replenishing plant that requires little water.
• Bamboo is also a symbol of friendship and resilience.
To highlight benefits of sustainability at point of purchase, ZOIC will be integrating an identifiable green “ee” symbol (environmentally enlightened) on all products using bamboo and other organic fabrics. Consumers will see this symbol on hangtags and throughout ZOIC’s online store; retailers will also see the symbol in the Spring 2008 catalog. Swenson commented “Through choosing and wearing ZOIC, we hope to inspire consumers to get more out of the environment while taking less from it.” In keeping with this green theme, recycled elements will be integrated within the architectural design of ZOIC’s trade show booth at Interbike 2008. Stop by the ZOIC booth #3561 at Interbike, to see for yourself.