Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: sorry, but...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    sorry, but...

    Its another bike comparison thread...

    trying to compare the 2008 giant anthem 2 with trance 2.
    I know that they pretty much have identical componentry, but the geometry of the frames is different...
    I'm wondering what are the benefits of having a frame geometry like on the trance? (cos thats all i can see that is different between the bikes)

    At the moment, im more of a recreational xc rider, i only have a 2005 giant alias, but I'm looking at a new bike because I want to get more serious.

    Cheers,
    Dan

  2. #2
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGale View Post
    Its another bike comparison thread...

    trying to compare the 2008 giant anthem 2 with trance 2.
    I know that they pretty much have identical componentry, but the geometry of the frames is different...
    I'm wondering what are the benefits of having a frame geometry like on the trance? (cos thats all i can see that is different between the bikes)

    At the moment, im more of a recreational xc rider, i only have a 2005 giant alias, but I'm looking at a new bike because I want to get more serious.

    Cheers,
    If I remember correctly, and by remember I mean if Giant's site is correct, the Trance is more of an all-purpose trail bike with 4/4.2 inches of travel and the Anthem is a pure XC racer with 3.5 inches of travel.
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  3. #3
    Newbie erhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Trance offers a more relaxed upper body position. It's slacker geometry would give much more confidence in technical areas, and steep descents. The anthem's geometry is racing oriented. It has steeper angles, and that makes it a very sharp, and quick handling bike.

    If you are planning about getting into racing in the future, you may consider the anthem, but it seems like the trance would be the right choice (which would still be raceable).
    Last edited by erhan; 08-22-07 at 07:31 AM.
    Giant Anthem
    Cannondale Synapse

  4. #4
    It's not easy being green FatBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Jekyll 700, Jamis Eclipse
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Giant NRS C1, which is an XC race bike and I have found it to be an excellent all around bike. Once you get used to the quick handling, it handles everything I can throw at it.

    Going fast downhill is not a function of suspension travel. The ability to "bomb" is purely related you how you manage your fear.

    My two cents, but I think you'd be better served with the lighter and quicker Anthem 2.
    Never trust a limping dog or the tears of a woman.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGale View Post
    Its another bike comparison thread...

    trying to compare the 2008 giant anthem 2 with trance 2.
    I know that they pretty much have identical componentry, but the geometry of the frames is different...
    I'm wondering what are the benefits of having a frame geometry like on the trance? (cos thats all i can see that is different between the bikes)

    At the moment, im more of a recreational xc rider, i only have a 2005 giant alias, but I'm looking at a new bike because I want to get more serious.

    Cheers,
    You really couldn't go wrong with either choice. The others in here are correct on the differences...Anthem is lightweight, nimble and fast and Trance is all-around. I have an Anthem and love it. It feels plusher than you might think for 3.5 inches and climbs like a rocket. I ride a wide variety of terrain from easy fireroad to rocky steeps without complaints.
    06 Giant Anthem and 08 Giant Trance XO.

  6. #6
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    To throw another bike into the mix, the Giant Reign adds a little more weight and little more suspension (6").

    I guess Giant wants you to buy all three of them.
    I personally would go for a Trance given the two he picked, then a Reign. But then I'm not an XC guy, I'm an all-mountain/dirt-jumping/five hour singletrack epic guy. The Trance will be more fun, but the Anthem will be much faster.
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumba View Post
    To throw another bike into the mix, the Giant Reign adds a little more weight and little more suspension (6").

    I guess Giant wants you to buy all three of them.
    yeah theres also the trance x with 5" of travel in between the normal trance and the reign. Seems pretty ridiculous to me to have so many bikes so similar.

    I think I'm almost set on the trance. theres one for sale near me which is an 06 with new upgrades such as juicy 7's, x9 shifters, x9 rear derailer. This is going for 1800 AUD. Just to put this in comparison it's 2,200 AUD for a 2008 trance 2. Its just had a service and the owner works in the bike shop so it should be a safe buy. The only thing is that it is a 20" frame and I'm 6'5" tall. What do you guys reckon? I currently have an 05 23" Giant Alias which seems about right. Gonna have to test ride I think...
    Dan

  8. #8
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGale View Post
    yeah theres also the trance x with 5" of travel in between the normal trance and the reign. Seems pretty ridiculous to me to have so many bikes so similar.

    I think I'm almost set on the trance. theres one for sale near me which is an 06 with new upgrades such as juicy 7's, x9 shifters, x9 rear derailer. This is going for 1800 AUD. Just to put this in comparison it's 2,200 AUD for a 2008 trance 2. Its just had a service and the owner works in the bike shop so it should be a safe buy. The only thing is that it is a 20" frame and I'm 6'5" tall. What do you guys reckon? I currently have an 05 23" Giant Alias which seems about right. Gonna have to test ride I think...
    A five-inch Trance??? AWESOME. I am off to the Giant dealer tomorrow!
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  9. #9
    It's not easy being green FatBomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Jekyll 700, Jamis Eclipse
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once made the mistake of buying a bike too small for me because it was a deal.

    DON'T DO IT!!!

    My experience - 6'3" on a large Jekyll when it should have been an XL because it was a "deal":
    You will have to use long stems and setback seatposts to make it fit and those items will make the bike perform poorly as you will artificially alter the geometry. The long stem will make it steer slow and will put weight further at times, making the bike want to front wheelie. The setback post will place the majority of your weight further back than designed for and will make your front wheel super-light on climbs in the saddle with a tendancy to pop up and stop you dead in your tracks.

    You'll have a less than optimal experience and will eventually buy the right bike.

    OR

    You buy the right one the first time.
    Never trust a limping dog or the tears of a woman.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBomber View Post
    I once made the mistake of buying a bike too small for me because it was a deal.

    DON'T DO IT!!!

    My experience - 6'3" on a large Jekyll when it should have been an XL because it was a "deal":
    You will have to use long stems and setback seatposts to make it fit and those items will make the bike perform poorly as you will artificially alter the geometry. The long stem will make it steer slow and will put weight further at times, making the bike want to front wheelie. The setback post will place the majority of your weight further back than designed for and will make your front wheel super-light on climbs in the saddle with a tendancy to pop up and stop you dead in your tracks.

    You'll have a less than optimal experience and will eventually buy the right bike.

    OR

    You buy the right one the first time.

    Cheers for the warning!
    Dan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •