Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need advice from older riders

    My dad is wanting to start mountain biking with my brother and I. He is 57 yrs. old, and he is in great physical shape. He goes to a gym around five times a week. Does strength training and does cardio(running and exercise bike) I was wondering if you all thought he would be fine with a hardtail, or do you think a full suspension is needed. He is going to be mtn biking for cardio alone. No jumping at all. Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    BFG
    BFG is offline
    Just say no to brakes. BFG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Guildford...Perth...Western Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant Rincon, Sanki road bike, Iron Horse SGS and DBR BSX Comp.
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not knowing your dad of course, but from what you have said it should be ok. Youve made him out to be pretty damn fit and strong.

    Maybe even try the 50+ forum?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleton, Nova Scotia, Canada
    My Bikes
    2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats a good idea. the FS would provide more comfort, and actually wastes energy when pedaling, some body movement is absords, so less goes through the drive train. that might include more cardio
    Live to ride, Ride to live

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before a logical answer can be given...what's the budget?



    Quote Originally Posted by recneps345 View Post
    My dad is wanting to start mountain biking with my brother and I. He is 57 yrs. old, and he is in great physical shape. He goes to a gym around five times a week. Does strength training and does cardio(running and exercise bike) I was wondering if you all thought he would be fine with a hardtail, or do you think a full suspension is needed. He is going to be mtn biking for cardio alone. No jumping at all. Thanks guys.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
    before a logical answer can be given...what's the budget?
    $500 max. I know this will probably limit to hardtail. I do have a friend that bought an 05' Specialized rockhopper full suspension. He bought is from a friend for around $700 last year and has ridden it once. I could get it for around 500 if full suspension would be better.

  6. #6
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For inspiration of what a 50+ can do, look up DMinor here. He's a regular contributor to this forum.

    To answer your specific question regarding the bike, at $500 you are definitely looking at any number of solid entry-level hardtails from Gary Fisher, Trek, Kona, Specialized, etc. The key is to simply go to as many local bike shops (LBS) as possible and try them all. The one that feels the best will be the best choice. All bikes at that price point are spec'ed similarly and the only difference will be in feel due to geometry variances from one manufacturer to the other.

    A hardtail will definitely suit his needs.
    First Class Jerk

  7. #7
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago View Post
    For inspiration of what a 50+ can do, look up DMinor here. He's a regular contributor to this forum.

    To answer your specific question regarding the bike, at $500 you are definitely looking at any number of solid entry-level hardtails from Gary Fisher, Trek, Kona, Specialized, etc. The key is to simply go to as many local bike shops (LBS) as possible and try them all. The one that feels the best will be the best choice. All bikes at that price point are spec'ed similarly and the only difference will be in feel due to geometry variances from one manufacturer to the other.

    A hardtail will definitely suit his needs.
    I wonder if DMinor owns any hardtails....?

  8. #8
    sarcasm meter: jerk mode santiago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    My Bikes
    2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C
    Posts
    4,512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenLi View Post
    I wonder if DMinor owns any hardtails....?
    I don't know, but I'm sure there's a Transition hardtail he can recommend.
    First Class Jerk

  9. #9
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by santiago View Post
    I don't know, but I'm sure there's a Transition hardtail he can recommend.
    heh. I'm sure the OP isn't asking for any aggresive hardtail like that.

  10. #10
    Bad Company dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    are awesome.
    Posts
    12,222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenLi View Post
    I wonder if DMinor owns any hardtails....?
    Actually, I do own a couple of hardtails - - but neither are noteworthy of the breed. (Both are old Barracuda chromoly frames that were given to me and that I cobbled together out of spare/schwag parts )

    Normally, for his age, I might suggest full suspension just because of the comfort- and confidence-level it would impart; but not in that target price range.

    Yes, a hardtail will serve him well for what he's wanting to achieve. Santiago's advice is spot-on as far as where to look and what to look for. The only thing I might add is that, sometimes, stock saddles are not to the middle-aged body's liking (even an in-shape body); so encourage your dad to consider a saddle swap-out/upgrade if, say, he likes everything else about the fit of a certain bike. Fit to the individual's sit-bones is paramount to saddle comfort.

    Also, he's a runner - -that's good. I've always been of the contention that the mental toughness that running imparts serves the person well in the transition to mountain biking. Hope he enjoys it and good luck to both of you.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies guys. As we get into shopping more I will return with more questions. Thanks again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •