Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member ThePwninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    BMX type geometry for MTBs

    I've been a roadie for a short time and I want to break up riding a road bike with some MTBing. I'd probably do wanna be free riding and jumps mostly and some trail riding. Originating from a bmx background the bmx geometry of some MTBs apeal to me. However I want to get somthing that would be well suited to the riding I'll be doing. So would this be a bad geometry choice and if it isn't what are the pros and cons of said geometry.

    This is what I'm talking about. Just in case that's not the actual name of this geometry style. (I'm not asking if this a good bike)
    Last edited by ThePwninator; 09-08-07 at 09:56 PM.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...der/weeeee.gif
    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alchoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man dosn't drive there's somthing wrong with him."
    - Art Buchwald, 1968

  2. #2
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a sick bike.

  3. #3
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a P.2 its an awesome bike, i have never really ridden a bmx bike so i can't compare

    i think you should do fine with this bike
    hi

  4. #4
    I'm simply not credible. Terrapin Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    A blue one and a black one.
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it won't climb as well. it will probably climb like a bmx bike on steroids. what do you mean by wanabe free riding? not saying it wouldn't work, but i don't think the geometry is well suited for trail riding.
    Every time that wheel turn round,
    Bound to cover just a little more ground

    - J. Garcia

  5. #5
    Senior Member ThePwninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Thats a sick bike.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22159

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbk3000 View Post
    i have a P.2 its an awesome bike, i have never really ridden a bmx bike so i can't compare

    i think you should do fine with this bike
    Awesome, it looks damn good too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    it won't climb as well. it will probably climb like a bmx bike on steroids. what do you mean by wanabe free riding? not saying it wouldn't work, but i don't think the geometry is well suited for trail riding.
    BMX bike on steroids sounds good to me. What I mean by that is I might be jumping off of 8 foot or so drops (doesn't seem like a lot compared to the 20-30 feet serious guys do). What do you think the main reasons for this would be? Not being able to sit while doing the majority of the riding?
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...der/weeeee.gif
    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alchoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man dosn't drive there's somthing wrong with him."
    - Art Buchwald, 1968

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleton, Nova Scotia, Canada
    My Bikes
    2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your going on trails with decent sized drops, how about one of these?

    http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/shore_hardtail/

    more expensive = more travel. the bigfoot would be great for doing the drops, but it has 120mm, so if you stop by the skate park after a ride, you should be fine. i have a friend who keeps jumping his 2006 Sasquatch more and more, and it has 140ish mm travel.

    the P. series would be good, but if your always on trails, the travel is a little short, and the geo isnt the best. unless your going to be jumping a lot too, but the Bigfoot would be fine there too.
    Live to ride, Ride to live

  7. #7
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim? scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
    Posts
    3,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest difference? It's going to steer very slowly in comparison to the road bikes you're riding, and it's not going to steer the same as the BMX bikes you rode before, either.

    If you have the dough, and are into getting one of the P bikes, I'd suggest the P "all mountain" (gotta love marketing, eh?) over the others. More dough, but more versatile ride overall. A bit better spec, and a bit more dialed towards trail riding - not just park/dj stuff.
    Last edited by scrublover; 09-08-07 at 09:21 PM.
    I believe the clouds in my coffee more than the weatherman on t.v.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ThePwninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norco_rider77 View Post
    if your going on trails with decent sized drops, how about one of these?

    http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/shore_hardtail/

    more expensive = more travel. the bigfoot would be great for doing the drops, but it has 120mm, so if you stop by the skate park after a ride, you should be fine. i have a friend who keeps jumping his 2006 Sasquatch more and more, and it has 140ish mm travel.

    the P. series would be good, but if your always on trails, the travel is a little short, and the geo isnt the best. unless your going to be jumping a lot too, but the Bigfoot would be fine there too.
    I Don't like Norco, but I might look for somthing with more travel.

    Like I said I wasn't asking so much about the P series as I was asking about the overall type of bike. I probably will be jumping a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    The biggest difference? It's going to steer very slowly in comparison to the road bikes you're riding, and it's not going to steer the same as the BMX bikes you rode before, either.

    If you have the dough, and are into getting one of the P bikes, I'd suggest the P "all mountain" (gotta love marketing, eh?) over the others. More dough, but more versatile ride overall. A bit better spec, and a bit more dialed towards trail riding - not just park/dj stuff.
    Why would it steer slowly?

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...der/weeeee.gif
    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alchoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man dosn't drive there's somthing wrong with him."
    - Art Buchwald, 1968

  9. #9
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, should have bought that instead of my current bike only 200$ more too

  10. #10
    Senior Member ThePwninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Damn, should have bought that instead of my current bike only 200$ more too
    Don't you hate it when stuff like that happens
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...der/weeeee.gif
    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alchoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man dosn't drive there's somthing wrong with him."
    - Art Buchwald, 1968

  11. #11
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    it won't climb as well. it will probably climb like a bmx bike on steroids. what do you mean by wanabe free riding? not saying it wouldn't work, but i don't think the geometry is well suited for trail riding.
    i trail ride with mine, but, climbing its terrible only because of the 34 tooth chainring and the 28 tooth rear cog being the biggest. if you change the cassette to a 12-32 it might not be so bad, just raise the seat and you should be able to climb all but the steepest hills.
    hi

  12. #12
    Senior Member mtnbk3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePwninator View Post
    I Don't like Norco, but I might look for somthing with more travel.

    Like I said I wasn't asking so much about the P series as I was asking about the overall type of bike. I probably will be jumping a lot.



    Why would it steer slowly?

    Thanks for the suggestion.
    the p.all mountain has a much less agressive geometry, it would definatly be more geared towards trail riding. just like the P.2 is not the best for trail riding and climbing the P all mountain won't be good for freeriding and dirt jumping
    hi

  13. #13
    Senior Member ThePwninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbk3000 View Post
    the p.all mountain has a much less agressive geometry, it would definatly be more geared towards trail riding. just like the P.2 is not the best for trail riding and climbing the P all mountain won't be good for freeriding and dirt jumping
    Which is actually what I'll probably be doing more of.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...der/weeeee.gif
    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alchoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man dosn't drive there's somthing wrong with him."
    - Art Buchwald, 1968

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleton, Nova Scotia, Canada
    My Bikes
    2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the P. bikes are very nice. the forks are stiff so you can do the drops (i mean you can hit 10 foot jumps and they dont bottom out, even rough landings) the P. all moutain has 130mm travel, so thats too much. the P. 2 is a great choice
    Live to ride, Ride to live

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleton, Nova Scotia, Canada
    My Bikes
    2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, you officially have no influence on what i think/say, not that you ever did. i actually thought you used to be a nice guy. i guess i was wrong (look, i can admit im wrong too! )

    edit: i just realized something, im 9 years older than you (and i can do math..)
    Live to ride, Ride to live

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleton, Nova Scotia, Canada
    My Bikes
    2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, ive seen it done, so its plausible that they wont, and on drops, absorb as much as possible, or figure out how much the forks/bike can take, that way you have a chance of avoiding bottoming out.

    happy?
    Live to ride, Ride to live

  17. #17
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim? scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
    Posts
    3,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePwninator View Post
    Why would it steer slowly?

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Well look at the headtube angle. As I say, in comparison to whatever road bikes you're used to riding lately, the steering will most likely feel slower. This isn't meant as a bad thing at all, just something you'll have to get used to again. (my two bikes have a 67.5 and 69 degree head angles, so don't be thinking i'm down on slack bikes.)

    As for trail riding vs. dj/free/whatever, look at the geometry numbers for the two frames. They aren't that much different. I'm suggesting the AM version because it appears IMO to be a much better "all-rounder" bike than the other P bikes.

    Best bet? Test ride everything within your budget to get a feel for what you like, then buy whatever best matches that.
    I believe the clouds in my coffee more than the weatherman on t.v.

  18. #18
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim? scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
    Posts
    3,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norco_rider77 View Post
    ok, ive seen it done, so its plausible that they wont, and on drops, absorb as much as possible, or figure out how much the forks/bike can take, that way you have a chance of avoiding bottoming out.

    happy?
    So the fork sucked it all up? It had nothing to do with the rider skill, eh?
    I believe the clouds in my coffee more than the weatherman on t.v.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middleton, Nova Scotia, Canada
    My Bikes
    2007 Norco Katmandu, building a 2006 Norco Bigfoot
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    So the fork sucked it all up? It had nothing to do with the rider skill, eh?
    PLAUSIBLE

    not being mean, just pointing it out
    Live to ride, Ride to live

  20. #20
    Senior Member ThePwninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Well look at the headtube angle. As I say, in comparison to whatever road bikes you're used to riding lately, the steering will most likely feel slower. This isn't meant as a bad thing at all, just something you'll have to get used to again. (my two bikes have a 67.5 and 69 degree head angles, so don't be thinking i'm down on slack bikes.)

    As for trail riding vs. dj/free/whatever, look at the geometry numbers for the two frames. They aren't that much different. I'm suggesting the AM version because it appears IMO to be a much better "all-rounder" bike than the other P bikes.

    Best bet? Test ride everything within your budget to get a feel for what you like, then buy whatever best matches that.
    Ok, I understand.

    Well all-rounders are notorious for not being very good at the numerous things they're designed to do. So personally I'd rather have one bike good for what the majority of my riding style is and then suck it up for the other parts.

    Awesome, thanks for all the help bro!

    Quote Originally Posted by norco_rider77 View Post
    Pete, you officially have no influence on what i think/say, not that you ever did. i actually thought you used to be a nice guy. i guess i was wrong (look, i can admit im wrong too! )

    edit: i just realized something, im 9 years older than you (and i can do math..)
    Just so you know you, you sound like an idiot and what does being 9 years older have anything to do with how much you know about cycling or wether or not he's a good guy? However since age is such a big deal to you I'm 16 (and I can type)
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...der/weeeee.gif
    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alchoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man dosn't drive there's somthing wrong with him."
    - Art Buchwald, 1968

  21. #21
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim? scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
    Posts
    3,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePwninator View Post
    Ok, I understand.

    Well all-rounders are notorious for not being very good at the numerous things they're designed to do. So personally I'd rather have one bike good for what the majority of my riding style is and then suck it up for the other parts.

    Awesome, thanks for all the help bro!
    Gotcha. Then get whatever fits the budget/you sizewise, and go have some fun with the thing.
    I believe the clouds in my coffee more than the weatherman on t.v.

  22. #22
    Senior Member ThePwninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Gotcha. Then get whatever fits the budget/you sizewise, and go have some fun with the thing.
    Sounds like a plan
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...der/weeeee.gif
    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alchoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man dosn't drive there's somthing wrong with him."
    - Art Buchwald, 1968

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the p.2 is just like the giant stp-2 but the stpis cheaper, lighter and has a better warrantty (why i bought it)
    the bmx style geometry is great for jumping and cruising aswel, just dont do anyhtign to hectic and make sure you always got a landing cause theres only front shocks >.<

  24. #24
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdn.wallace View Post
    the p.2 is just like the giant stp-2 but the stpis cheaper, lighter and has a better warrantty (why i bought it)
    the bmx style geometry is great for jumping and cruising aswel, just dont do anyhtign to hectic and make sure you always got a landing cause theres only front shocks >.<

    Right..............
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  25. #25
    Senior Member DoYlE_RiD3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada, Quebec
    My Bikes
    Norco Rival "06
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you take a look at the transition Trail or Park ? I think it would fits your needs really well... just my opinion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •