I was reading the instructions, but i still can't get it the way i had it when i bought it. What it would do is when i'm in 3rd gear in the rear and 1st gear in the front, the rear tends to jump to the 4th. Any suggestions?
1. your cable. gunk can get inside the housing and cause friction and imprecise shifting
2. your casette/chainrings/chain for wear. even if your chain is new, worn teeth on the cassette/chainrings will cause shift problems, vice versa for new cassette/chainrings and old chain
3. your derrailleur - check cable tension and high/low settings, should shift from smallest cog to 2nd with ease, as well as from largest to 2nd largest. then start use the barrel adjuster.
4. your chain - are you doing something n00b like using an 8 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette?
5. chain tension - your chain could be too long/too short
6. derrailleur hanger - bent?
7. derrailleur spring tension - any one of the 3 (or more?) springs could also be stuffed. there are tricks to remove and tighten them but are hard to explain w/o diagrams.
8. user - is the user defective?