Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-07, 09:40 AM   #1
EthanYQX
Why not?
Thread Starter
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Out of curiosity...

Anyone here around 5'4"-5'6" ride a 29'er? Or is it all taller guys?
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 09:48 AM   #2
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should be on a 24'er.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 09:50 AM   #3
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In all seriousnessednessidity, they make them in your size. It's not necessarily marketed for taller people...just taller bumps on the trail. I do hear problems of "toe overlap" on smaller frames, but that would have to include shoe size as well. Tiny frame, tiny feet...may work out.

Test one and let us know.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 10:15 AM   #4
EthanYQX
Why not?
Thread Starter
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
In all seriousnessednessidity, they make them in your size. It's not necessarily marketed for taller people...just taller bumps on the trail. I do hear problems of "toe overlap" on smaller frames, but that would have to include shoe size as well. Tiny frame, tiny feet...may work out.

Test one and let us know.
I plan to, next time I find a dealer that sells them. Just wanted to know if anyone my size had any experience with one.
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 11:10 AM   #5
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX View Post
I plan to, next time I find a dealer that sells them. Just wanted to know if anyone my size had any experience with one.
I have seen a few ladies around with them. They get around fine.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 11:12 AM   #6
EthanYQX
Why not?
Thread Starter
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
I have seen a few ladies around with them. They get around fine.
Is that supposed to be a crack at 29" wheel bikes?
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 11:18 AM   #7
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX View Post
Is that supposed to be a crack at 29" wheel bikes?
Good lord! You ask if smaller folks rode 29 inc bikes. I don't ride 29rs and I'm not that short but I have seen several smaller ladies on them. Thats all I know about it. So yes, smaller people do ride them. Wow.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 11:23 AM   #8
EthanYQX
Why not?
Thread Starter
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
Good lord! You ask if smaller folks rode 29 inc bikes. I don't ride 29rs and I'm not that short but I have seen several smaller ladies on them. Thats all I know about it. So yes, smaller people do ride them. Wow.
Sorry, just thought you were a hardcore 26'er nut.
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 08:23 AM   #9
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom
 
apclassic9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Millstone WV
Bikes:
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know a lady 29er, and she's shorter than you. Her's is a single speed, and she's managed to win all sorts of XC races. Google "Betsy Shogren"... personally, I suspect she's an alien in disguise.
__________________
As with mud, life, too, slides by.
apclassic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 08:27 AM   #10
EthanYQX
Why not?
Thread Starter
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apclassic9 View Post
I know a lady 29er, and she's shorter than you. Her's is a single speed, and she's managed to win all sorts of XC races. Google "Betsy Shogren"... personally, I suspect she's an alien in disguise.
Thanks!
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 09:22 AM   #11
FoShizzle
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no worries at all.

Keep in mind, Chris, on of the 2 co-founders of Ninerbikes (ninerbikes.com), one of the most amazing companies out there in all regards, is actually about 5'6" which is ironic.
FoShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 09:26 AM   #12
Little Leo
SwampFox
 
Little Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Green Bay WI
Bikes: Diamonback Sorrento, Gary Fisher Cobia
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The new Fishers are comfortable to men/women as low as 5 feet.

The only difference on 29er is you have to get used to the feel of the ride. GF 29ers are long. You get the feel of driving a tank. After you get used to it, it rides like any other bike.

29er nuts say that 29ers excel in all areas. I think they are slow in tight single track and in long flat halls. But they are fast as lightning down hill, over rough roots/ rocks and although you feel your going slow up hill, you are actualy moving just as fast as 26ers.

Fishers new fork offset, 29er stering is greatly improved. They are now quicker to react in the single track and at slower speeds.

If you think you want a 29er get a Niner of Fisher
Little Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 09:33 AM   #13
Aaron_F
A guy who rides bikes
 
Aaron_F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mid-Missouri
Bikes:
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 5'6" and I ride a small frame (16"). 26" wheels seem to be just fine for me.

Want I really want to see is a 49er, with DH 24" rear wheels and a 29" front.
Aaron_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 09:46 AM   #14
EthanYQX
Why not?
Thread Starter
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Leo View Post
The new Fishers are comfortable to men/women as low as 5 feet.

The only difference on 29er is you have to get used to the feel of the ride. GF 29ers are long. You get the feel of driving a tank. After you get used to it, it rides like any other bike.

29er nuts say that 29ers excel in all areas. I think they are slow in tight single track and in long flat halls. But they are fast as lightning down hill, over rough roots/ rocks and although you feel your going slow up hill, you are actualy moving just as fast as 26ers.

Fishers new fork offset, 29er stering is greatly improved. They are now quicker to react in the single track and at slower speeds.

If you think you want a 29er get a Niner of Fisher
I know the 29'ers aren't the be all-end all, I just intend to try one and see if I like it.
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 11:10 AM   #15
Little Leo
SwampFox
 
Little Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Green Bay WI
Bikes: Diamonback Sorrento, Gary Fisher Cobia
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankshaftYQX View Post
I know the 29'ers aren't the be all-end all, I just intend to try one and see if I like it.
Deffenetly try one, you never know untill you do.

I peronaly think 29er is like a different componet. Its preference. Has its ups and downs.
Little Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 11:14 AM   #16
EthanYQX
Why not?
Thread Starter
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thing is I have no dealer in town except Giant, so I'd have to wait for a reason to go to St. John's in order to try one, and getting downtown there is no picnic. So, it's not really worth the effort if they don't even make them my size. Otherwise, I wouldn't have asked.
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 PM.