Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano vs. SRAM

    Hey,

    Is there any difference in quality between Shimano and SRAM component series at similar price levels?

    For example, are SRAM X.0 and Shimano XTR as good as each other? Are X.9 and XT comparable... etc?

    Most bikes I'm looking at (hardtail up to $1200) seem to come with Shimano although some come with the higher end SRAM series.

    Also: I notice most bikes come with trigger shifters, very little with gripshifts. Are there advantages or disadvantages or is it all personal preference?
    Last edited by pm63; 10-01-07 at 12:41 PM.

  2. #2
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pm63 View Post
    Hey,

    Is there any difference in quality between Shimano and SRAM component series at similar price levels?

    For example, are SRAM X.0 and Shimano XTR as good as each other? Are X.9 and XT comparable... etc?

    Most bikes I'm looking at (hardtail up to $1200) seem to come with Shimano although some come with the higher end SRAM series.
    X.0 is better than XTR
    XTR is better than X.0
    X.9 is better than XT
    XT is better than X.9
    X.7 is better than LX
    LX is better than X.7

    That's what you're going to be faced with here on the forums. It seems that a vast majority is shifting (no pun) toward SRAM. I have used X.9, X.7, and test ridden X.0. I have also used XTR, XT, LX, Deore, STXrc, STX, Alivio, Acera, and Tourney.

    My favorite still seems to be XT. My SRAM stuff didn't last very long in comparison. Shifting "felt" different, but wasn't any more precise with my X.9 than XT.

    BTW, you're gonna get flamed b/c you should use the "search function" before asking such a redundant question.

  3. #3
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I like either (but no freaking RR) but XT and X.7 are my level. Any higher, to expensive for my tastes, any lower and its garbage.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I guess my £200 bike with SRAM 3.0 and SX4 components isn't that great But hey, I have used it on terrain it wasnt built for.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride SRAM x.7 and x.9 stuff on my FS bike and Shimano XT on my HT.

    BOTH use shimano XT cassettes.

    Honestly, I like them both.

    SRAM really got popular when Shimano went with Dual Control with Rapid Rise. For those that liked pods, it was either buy older shift pods that were 9 speed or go SRAM. Dual Control...man...that is either love or hate....more than SRAM vs Shimano.

    Shimano countered with coming back with pods, still offering DC and then offering thumb or trigger style shifting similar to Sram. Not the same but similar. The new Shadow derailer now has direct cable routing like Sram.

    One day I will ride my sram bike and go...man I like this shifting. A few days later I will riding my XT bike and go...man, I like this shifting. It's a toss up for me.

    Honestly, for me...the SRAM stuff seems to hold the adjustments more.

    I've been riding shimano for eons and Sram for about 2 years now on my MTB.

    I'm sure if Pete reads this he will say something snappy.


    Quote Originally Posted by pm63 View Post
    Hey,

    Is there any difference in quality between Shimano and SRAM component series at similar price levels?

    For example, are SRAM X.0 and Shimano XTR as good as each other? Are X.9 and XT comparable... etc?

    Most bikes I'm looking at (hardtail up to $1200) seem to come with Shimano although some come with the higher end SRAM series.

    Also: I notice most bikes come with trigger shifters, very little with gripshifts. Are there advantages or disadvantages or is it all personal preference?
    Last edited by Rutnick; 10-01-07 at 01:23 PM.

  6. #6
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please, not another one of these threads! This bandwidth should be saved for teenage drama and "what bike" polls!

  7. #7
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
    I'm sure if Pete reads this he will say something snappy.
    Maybe you should be banned, Rut. Grow up and let it go, man.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for caring.

    What issue did you have with the longevity of the SRAM stuff though?

    The 2008 rear X.0 derailer has been beefed up and the rear derailer cage is 22% stronger (not that I can afford it).


    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Maybe you should be banned, Rut. Grow up and let it go, man.

  9. #9
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
    thanks for caring.

    What issue did you have with the longevity of the SRAM stuff though?

    The 2008 rear X.0 derailer has been beefed up and the rear derailer cage is 22% stronger (not that I can afford it).
    I care 'bout bikes, hehe.

    My X.9 rear der. lasted a short time before the main pivot bushing became wobbly. The whole derailleur started leaning inward like the hanger was bent. (I'm thinking less than 6 mos)

    I had the parallelogram linkage loosen up on my LX rear der.

    I'd say the X.9 was on par with LX for durability and XT for shifting precision.

    My XT is well over a year old and still retains the orig. tight tolerances.

    I was thinkin' again about trying to save for a little bit'o Rohloff action, but I read some articles and reviews last night that are making me second-guess Rohloff's durability. It would be cheaper in the long run if it lasts as long as many have said. (approx 100,000km)

    Some dealers have sold them for 10 years and had none of them malfunction...the scant few stories I read last night described a small number of cases that reflected otherwise. If it wasn't such a big "buy-in", I'd have taken the plunge long ago.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    almost $1300 for the disc version and you still have to buy a 4 bolt disc.

    Is it the mileage or punishment that did in the derailer? I've got about 1k miles on the sram rear derailer and about the same on the XT. What year was the X.9?


    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    I care 'bout bikes, hehe.

    My X.9 rear der. lasted a short time before the main pivot bushing became wobbly. The whole derailleur started leaning inward like the hanger was bent. (I'm thinking less than 6 mos)

    I had the parallelogram linkage loosen up on my LX rear der.

    I'd say the X.9 was on par with LX for durability and XT for shifting precision.

    My XT is well over a year old and still retains the orig. tight tolerances.

    I was thinkin' again about trying to save for a little bit'o Rohloff action, but I read some articles and reviews last night that are making me second-guess Rohloff's durability. It would be cheaper in the long run if it lasts as long as many have said. (approx 100,000km)

    Some dealers have sold them for 10 years and had none of them malfunction...the scant few stories I read last night described a small number of cases that reflected otherwise. If it wasn't such a big "buy-in", I'd have taken the plunge long ago.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    almost $1300 for the disc version and you still have to buy a 4 bolt disc.

    Is it the mileage or punishment that did in the derailer? I've got about 1k miles on the sram rear derailer and about the same on the XT. What year was the X.9?

    As you've said...the worst you have there is spiders.


    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    I care 'bout bikes, hehe.

    My X.9 rear der. lasted a short time before the main pivot bushing became wobbly. The whole derailleur started leaning inward like the hanger was bent. (I'm thinking less than 6 mos)

    I had the parallelogram linkage loosen up on my LX rear der.

    I'd say the X.9 was on par with LX for durability and XT for shifting precision.

    My XT is well over a year old and still retains the orig. tight tolerances.

    I was thinkin' again about trying to save for a little bit'o Rohloff action, but I read some articles and reviews last night that are making me second-guess Rohloff's durability. It would be cheaper in the long run if it lasts as long as many have said. (approx 100,000km)

    Some dealers have sold them for 10 years and had none of them malfunction...the scant few stories I read last night described a small number of cases that reflected otherwise. If it wasn't such a big "buy-in", I'd have taken the plunge long ago.

  12. #12
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
    almost $1300 for the disc version and you still have to buy a 4 bolt disc.

    Is it the mileage or punishment that did in the derailer? I've got about 1k miles on the sram rear derailer and about the same on the XT. What year was the X.9?

    As you've said...the worst you have there is spiders.
    1k miles isn't really all that much is it? (I got rid of my cyclocomputer long ago)

    We have punishing trails...especially to nooblets who don't know how to ride rocky terrain. They would just be a bit of a snore to a rider who is accustomed to what I would consider "dream trails". I never laid the bike over or bashed the der. on anything though. It was a 2006 X.9. It could be the jumping. The jarring from the landing...heck I dunno. Really doesn't matter b/c I have ridden both der's the same way and the XT has already lasted 3x longer than X.9.

  13. #13
    In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    I was thinkin' again about trying to save for a little bit'o Rohloff action, but. . . If it wasn't such a big "buy-in", I'd have taken the plunge long ago.
    Get that Sturmey-Archer, Ed, beat the crap out of it and then let us know how it went

  14. #14
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Get that Sturmey-Archer, Ed, beat the crap out of it and then let us know how it went
    I really should, but what the heck am I gonna do with an 8 speed hub on an XLT? I'll either kill my knees or have an MI.

  15. #15
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller, 1977 Puch Pathfinder
    Posts
    18,788
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tried the Sram for awhile couldn't get into how they performed and the triggers gave me fits. With saying that, I'm perfectly pleased with my mix of XT and XTR parts.
    Strike like an eagle and sacrifice the dove.
    Words and Stuff.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which trails? Just want a frame of reference. Got any links?

    I log all my mileage so I'm a slave to the computer. Road biking is the worst...log everything. Cadence, HR, avg HR, max, elevation, grade...blah blah

    I use the 305 when I MTB because I like to see the trail later (especially new trails)


    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    1k miles isn't really all that much is it? (I got rid of my cyclocomputer long ago)

    We have punishing trails...especially to nooblets who don't know how to ride rocky terrain. They would just be a bit of a snore to a rider who is accustomed to what I would consider "dream trails". I never laid the bike over or bashed the der. on anything though. It was a 2006 X.9. It could be the jumping. The jarring from the landing...heck I dunno. Really doesn't matter b/c I have ridden both der's the same way and the XT has already lasted 3x longer than X.9.

  17. #17
    Bicycle Rider & Mechanic Trekbikedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Delaware
    My Bikes
    Superlight, Dragon Team, Eclipse, Om Flyer
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's a video of sram vs shimano on youtube, and sram rear derauillers do perform better watch this and it'll do you in.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

    I still roll with XT though, it's what came on my bike. Some day, I'll have X0
    On top of the world.

  18. #18
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
    Which trails? Just want a frame of reference. Got any links?

    I log all my mileage so I'm a slave to the computer. Road biking is the worst...log everything. Cadence, HR, avg HR, max, elevation, grade...blah blah

    I use the 305 when I MTB because I like to see the trail later (especially new trails)
    Lordy, I'm gonna vomit. I think your previous statement of "maybe it'd be fun to ride with Chelboed" should be re-thought. I don't log mileage, feet climbed, cadence, HR, average anything, blah...blah...puke. My goals aren't related to mileage or lap times.

    I don't go all Bender, but I'm definately not a Ned. I just like to ride some trail and when I see a bump...I use it to somehow catch enough air to tweak out the bars a bit. (as long as I'm not worn out)

    I'm not harping on you, it's just more like you're a roadie with knobbies and I'm a MotoX'er with pedals.

    I think we need to break up.

  19. #19
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekbikedude View Post
    there's a video of sram vs shimano on youtube, and sram rear derauillers do perform better watch this and it'll do you in.

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

    I still roll with XT though, it's what came on my bike. Some day, I'll have X0
    After watching that video, maybe now I know why my X.9 may not have been as durable as the XT. It appears that the moveable arcing motion of the Shimano takes more of the stress off the main pivot bushing. Sure does suck when it smacks my chainstay, though.


    I'm blowing all this straight outta my can, but it's a theory.

  20. #20
    Wood Licker Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Whistler,BC
    My Bikes
    Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
    Posts
    16,888
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    I'm blowing all this straight outta my can, but it's a theory.
    At least you're regular...

  21. #21
    Writin' stuff ZeCanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    3,779
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you'll stick around you'll find that I'm and advocate of Sram.
    why?
    1) I really do like their stuff. It's light and strong, and I've never had any issues with it. I've broken far fewer X.0 derailleurs (only 1 in 2 years) than XTR derailleurs (went through 3 in one season a in 2005)
    2) I don't have to buy any of it.
    Velo Magazine/VeloNews.com tech guy — get in touch or hit me on the tweeter @CaleyFretz

  22. #22
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been riding in the dirt a LONG time. Only been back on the road for a couple of seasons.

    Only started logging stuff last year.


    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Lordy, I'm gonna vomit. I think your previous statement of "maybe it'd be fun to ride with Chelboed" should be re-thought. I don't log mileage, feet climbed, cadence, HR, average anything, blah...blah...puke. My goals aren't related to mileage or lap times.

    I don't go all Bender, but I'm definately not a Ned. I just like to ride some trail and when I see a bump...I use it to somehow catch enough air to tweak out the bars a bit. (as long as I'm not worn out)

    I'm not harping on you, it's just more like you're a roadie with knobbies and I'm a MotoX'er with pedals.

    I think we need to break up.

  23. #23
    qqb
    qqb is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are the same ....... both have advantage and disadvantage ... IMO

  24. #24
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SRAM vs Shimano or Campy vs Shimano. Things never really change much on the boards do they?

    Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  25. #25
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
    SRAM vs Shimano or Campy vs Shimano. Things never really change much on the boards do they?

    Tim
    Fox vs. Rockshox

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •