Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Shock 'N Awe Baby sixfingeredman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    My Bikes
    Trek 8900 sort of...
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Carbon vs. Aluminum vs. Titanium - Video

    I realize that this is not the same type of force that a MTB will go through, but still pretty amazing. Anyone have any pics of a Ti frame failing? Aside from welds? On this forum I have seen a number of unusual failures I'd never seen before.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...62681682291899
    Last edited by sixfingeredman; 11-10-07 at 08:35 PM. Reason: bad link

  2. #2
    nom nom nom Frunkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Lemond Tete de Course, Slingshot DDX, Fuji Track Pro, Surly Steamroller
    Posts
    2,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    completely pointless and irrelevant
    a bike frame isnt designed to withstand a crushing force like that. And the "untreated" ti tube means it wasnt butted yet like any finished tube, so it was thicker through out.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lamplight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's not exactly relevant to the forces involved in cycling, but it was still interesting. I wish he'd tried a chromoly tube as well, just out of curiosity.

  4. #4
    Shock 'N Awe Baby sixfingeredman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    My Bikes
    Trek 8900 sort of...
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunkin View Post
    completely pointless and irrelevant
    a bike frame isnt designed to withstand a crushing force like that. And the "untreated" ti tube means it wasnt butted yet like any finished tube, so it was thicker through out.
    As is your reply. Please see first sentence of original post.

  5. #5
    Senior Member colombo357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,986
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
    I wish he'd tried a chromoly tube as well, just out of curiosity.
    Chromoly is quite a bit weaker.

    A list of yield strengths (amount of force the metal will take before bending permanently)

    6061 Aluminum: 40,000psi
    7075 Aluminum: 70,000psi
    4130 Chromoly: 60,000psi
    6Al-4V Titanium: 125,000psi

  6. #6
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,253
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sixfingeredman View Post
    I realize that this is not the same type of force that a MTB will go through, but still pretty amazing. Anyone have any pics of a Ti frame failing? Aside from welds? On this forum I have seen a number of unusual failures I'd never seen before.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...62681682291899
    I thought it was slick. Did you notice that the Ti tube rolled backwards smoothly after it was run over. Had it been dented, it wouldn't have rolled at all. I might have to reconsider by loyalty to steel. Thanks for letting us see it.

    Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  7. #7
    World's slowest cyclist.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Londonderry, NH
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush
    Posts
    1,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time I buy a bike frame to run over with a truck I'll keep this video in mind.

    A bike frame made with tubes that can hold up to that abuse would be overly heavy. I don't see that as a good sales pitch at all for that guy's bikes. He's basically saying "hey look, our bikes are too heavy, but you could run them over with a truck if you wanted to".

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Absolute middle of nowhere
    My Bikes
    2003 Kona Hahanna
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_F View Post
    Next time I buy a bike frame to run over with a truck I'll keep this video in mind.

    A bike frame made with tubes that can hold up to that abuse would be overly heavy. I don't see that as a good sales pitch at all for that guy's bikes. He's basically saying "hey look, our bikes are too heavy, but you could run them over with a truck if you wanted to".
    As far as I know, titanium is very light.
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...BFARSIG3-1.jpg
    ...someday I'll have money for it...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SE, Michigan
    My Bikes
    k2 Zed 3.0
    Posts
    518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona_stig View Post
    As far as I know, titanium is very light.
    It's actually 60% heavier than aluminum but it's also more than twice as strong; so you can build thiner / lighter frames with it. It's also a pain in the butt to work with, but doesn't suffer from fracture cracks like aluminum does (ie you can bend it as you please without loosing to much structural integrity).

    Biggest problem though, it's expensive!

  10. #10
    use your best eye kenhill3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    My Bikes
    '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    3,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Servo888 View Post

    Biggest problem though, it's expensive!
    Not a problem for many riders.

    I have always understood that frames made with TI are 'whippy', that it's not as stiff as aluminum.
    "I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.

  11. #11
    World's slowest cyclist.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Londonderry, NH
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush
    Posts
    1,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona_stig View Post
    As far as I know, titanium is very light.
    It's the old riddle, what's heavier: a ton of feathers or a ton of lead. Build a bike out of solid titanium (or solid carbon or solid aluminum) and it'll be heavy. A bike made to support the weight of a truck will be heavier than it needs to be to support the weight of a human.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Absolute middle of nowhere
    My Bikes
    2003 Kona Hahanna
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Servo888 View Post
    It's actually 60% heavier than aluminum but it's also more than twice as strong; so you can build thiner / lighter frames with it. It's also a pain in the butt to work with, but doesn't suffer from fracture cracks like aluminum does (ie you can bend it as you please without loosing to much structural integrity).

    Biggest problem though, it's expensive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_F View Post
    It's the old riddle, what's heavier: a ton of feathers or a ton of lead. Build a bike out of solid titanium (or solid carbon or solid aluminum) and it'll be heavy. A bike made to support the weight of a truck will be heavier than it needs to be to support the weight of a human.
    I stand corrected
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...BFARSIG3-1.jpg
    ...someday I'll have money for it...

  13. #13
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to try a titanium bike for once.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •