Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-08, 01:44 PM   #1
stric
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
stric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rocky Mountain bikes - your opinion

Hello,
I am considering a purchase of a new mtb. One of the bikes I have in mind is Rocky Mountain Vertex 70. In the past I've heard good things about this Canadian bike manufacturer but I've never had any experience with their bikes. Therefore, I would like to hear from you if you have any experience with Rocky Mountain bikes, their build quality, set-ups, ride quality and so on. your opinions do not have to be limited to Vertex 70; other RM models are fine as well. I am just trying to get a better feel about Rocky Mountain.
Thanks
stric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 01:58 PM   #2
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life
 
wearyourtruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore
Bikes:
Posts: 2,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have a Rocky Mtn road bike and i love it. from what i understand, the guy who founded RM and the guy who founded Easton tubing are good buddies and RM always gets sweet hookups on materials for their frames.
wearyourtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 02:29 PM   #3
ghettocruiser
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: dropmachine.com
Bikes:
Posts: 4,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try it. You'll like it.



years - 5
Kilometers - 21,500



What's up with that funky bend in the downtube with the new models though?

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 01-08-08 at 09:03 PM.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 03:16 PM   #4
jm01
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto & Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Ellsworth Id
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the guy that founded Rocky Mountain was forced to sell because of money problems and then founded Kona...used to have a fellow named John Brodie make some high end frames for him back then
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 04:16 PM   #5
awc380
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hull, QC
Bikes:
Posts: 661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guy who formed Rocky mountain probably did a lot of things.....
awc380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-08, 04:18 PM   #6
bikingthings
bikingthings
 
bikingthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NJ
Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced with topolinos, Rocky mountain Element 10
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have have had two RM. i love their details, good paint hand made and assembled. they tend to be a bit heavier than lets say Giant. but good overall
carlos

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 01-08-08 at 12:22 AM. Reason: business link in post
bikingthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 03:31 PM   #7
jm01
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto & Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Ellsworth Id
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awc380 View Post
Guy who formed Rocky mountain probably did a lot of things.....


not really...

1978
A couple of guys in a Vancouver, BC bike store modify Nishiki road bikes with wide tires, straight bars and thumbshifters with internal 5-speed or external 10-speed gears. This is the first experience with "mountain bikes" for the soon-to-be Rocky Mountain founders.

1997
Rocky Mountain Bicycles is bought over by Procycle Group, a well-established Canadian company.

..after his experience at Rocky Mountain, he had the brains to acknowledge that he has no business abilities and managerial skills, so he hired professional business types to run Kona...now they give him the prototypes and he spends his time testing them around the world.

nice job.
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 04:17 PM   #8
sevinator77
Get Silly
 
sevinator77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Middletown Pa
Bikes: 07' Diamondback Response Sport
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RM's ride pretty nice

Had a buddy let me borrow one for some riding for a week.

I didn't want to give it back =D
sevinator77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 07:16 PM   #9
M_S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I almost bought a used Element. Seemed nice but it needed more work put into it than I was willing to commit to.

[/end completely useless anecdotal information]
M_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 10:10 PM   #10
WannaGetGood
Commited Suicide
 
WannaGetGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Abbotsford.BC
Bikes: 2001 Kona Stuff & 2004 Rocky Mountain Switch SL
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my switch. Can take anything that I throw at it.
WannaGetGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 10:28 PM   #11
mcoine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm01 View Post
not really...

1978
A couple of guys in a Vancouver, BC bike store modify Nishiki road bikes with wide tires, straight bars and thumbshifters with internal 5-speed or external 10-speed gears. This is the first experience with "mountain bikes" for the soon-to-be Rocky Mountain founders.

1997
Rocky Mountain Bicycles is bought over by Procycle Group, a well-established Canadian company.

..after his experience at Rocky Mountain, he had the brains to acknowledge that he has no business abilities and managerial skills, so he hired professional business types to run Kona...now they give him the prototypes and he spends his time testing them around the world.

nice job.

Are you saying he founded kona in '97? Because I remember seeing kona's well before that.. like '92.
mcoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 10:44 PM   #12
wethepeople
Long haired freak.
 
wethepeople's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Still stuck in hell.
Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.
Posts: 6,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kona was founded in 88...

Also, I liked my Rocky Mountain RMX quite a bit.
__________________

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

wethepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 08:28 AM   #13
Siu Blue Wind
Metta
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,023
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
I was really really close to getting the RM Vertex 70. But because of this situation I didn't get it.

I loved the way the bike was set up, the groupo that was chosen for the bike really worked well with it. I was impressed by the fact that the frame was powder coated rather than painted, with the Easton tubing. They did a fine job on the it as a whole, the welds, etc....

I had paid for the bike and a couple of days later went to pick it up after they did the "final check". It was then that I noticed the stanchion on the fork was scratched enough (with a slight indentation - how did THAT happen??) to concern me about leakage. I told them I wanted the fork replaced. They said that because it was a fork that came with the bike, they had to talk to RM first. They had to remove the fork, send it to RM. A month goes by and no word from the LBS. Meanwhile, my bike is sitting in the back room on the floor, leaning against other random things (I peeked in on it). When I call them, they say that RM had not responded with a decision to replace the fork. I waited another 2 weeks. Nothing. I popped in to talk to them again and to check on the bike. It was in the back room, on the floor, with other bikes waiting to be repaired leaned up on it (my frame!!)

I told them that if they don't reply to me in another two weeks, I want my payment back.

Another three weeks went by. In the meanwhile I went ahead and bought a Kona. They finally called me and told me that they won't replace it but I can buy a new fork and will get $130 credit toward the new one, which will be close to $500.

I didn't think that was fair since I paid for a new bike (I never took delivery of) and shouldn't have to buy a replacement fork.

The bike itself is awesome but watch out for customer service. I'm not sure if it was RM or the LBS that really wasn't pushing the issue of replacement here but I didn't want to have that kind of service in the future should I need it.

But that bike...it was beautiful....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 09:18 AM   #14
jm01
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto & Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Ellsworth Id
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoine View Post
Are you saying he founded kona in '97? Because I remember seeing kona's well before that.. like '92.
Jeez

http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/ind...page=99&mID=94
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 11:04 AM   #15
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
I was really really close to getting the RM Vertex 70. But because of this situation I didn't get it.

I loved the way the bike was set up, the groupo that was chosen for the bike really worked well with it. I was impressed by the fact that the frame was powder coated rather than painted, with the Easton tubing. They did a fine job on the it as a whole, the welds, etc....

I had paid for the bike and a couple of days later went to pick it up after they did the "final check". It was then that I noticed the stanchion on the fork was scratched enough (with a slight indentation - how did THAT happen??) to concern me about leakage. I told them I wanted the fork replaced. They said that because it was a fork that came with the bike, they had to talk to RM first. They had to remove the fork, send it to RM. A month goes by and no word from the LBS. Meanwhile, my bike is sitting in the back room on the floor, leaning against other random things (I peeked in on it). When I call them, they say that RM had not responded with a decision to replace the fork. I waited another 2 weeks. Nothing. I popped in to talk to them again and to check on the bike. It was in the back room, on the floor, with other bikes waiting to be repaired leaned up on it (my frame!!)

I told them that if they don't reply to me in another two weeks, I want my payment back.

Another three weeks went by. In the meanwhile I went ahead and bought a Kona. They finally called me and told me that they won't replace it but I can buy a new fork and will get $130 credit toward the new one, which will be close to $500.

I didn't think that was fair since I paid for a new bike (I never took delivery of) and shouldn't have to buy a replacement fork.

The bike itself is awesome but watch out for customer service. I'm not sure if it was RM or the LBS that really wasn't pushing the issue of replacement here but I didn't want to have that kind of service in the future should I need it.

But that bike...it was beautiful....
That does sound like RM to me. I haven't heard many great stories about them, I am also not a fan of their pricing, hence why I never bought one. If I had the spare coin to spend 1000$ more than the matching competetive bike I would get one however.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 11:13 AM   #16
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
I am also not a fan of their pricing, hence why I never bought one. If I had the spare coin to spend 1000$ more than the matching competetive bike I would get one however.
Just curious, but why would you spend the extra cheese on a similar bike? I have only seen these bikes at EMS stores, and I think EMS has high prices to begin with, so I thought that's why they were pricey.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 11:38 AM   #17
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
Just curious, but why would you spend the extra cheese on a similar bike? I have only seen these bikes at EMS stores, and I think EMS has high prices to begin with, so I thought that's why they were pricey.
Not sure who ems is...but I would buy it only if I had the extra cheese in life...like buying an m3 or some other similar car that makes other people drool (I don't drive and don't like cars, bikes are my cars).
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 12:13 PM   #18
ghettocruiser
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: dropmachine.com
Bikes:
Posts: 4,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Another three weeks went by. In the meanwhile I went ahead and bought a Kona. They finally called me and told me that they won't replace it but I can buy a new fork and will get $130 credit toward the new one, which will be close to $500.
So the LBS had a damaged bike on the floor (because they either damaged it themselves or failed to inspect the package upon arrival) and told you to pay extra to get an undamaged bike?

Nice.

But not Rocky's problem.

RM bikes are overpriced, or at least they used to be. I'd wait for the end-of-season clear-outs when they were the only thing left and grab one then.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 12:24 PM   #19
born2bahick
Official Website Waterboy
 
born2bahick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Bikes: a lot
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always liked them, Our freind ViperZ, likes them too!
Project: Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 "The Canadian Connection"

Last edited by born2bahick; 01-09-08 at 12:33 PM.
born2bahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 12:28 PM   #20
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,013
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
Not sure who ems is...but I would buy it only if I had the extra cheese in life...like buying an m3 or some other similar car that makes other people drool (I don't drive and don't like cars, bikes are my cars).
Eastern Mountain Sports. Like an REI, but smaller I think. I've never been to an REI store though. I guess EMS is a regional company then.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 12:36 PM   #21
Siu Blue Wind
Metta
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,023
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
So the LBS had a damaged bike on the floor (because they either damaged it themselves or failed to inspect the package upon arrival) and told you to pay extra to get an undamaged bike?

Nice.

But not Rocky's problem.

RM bikes are overpriced, or at least they used to be. I'd wait for the end-of-season clear-outs when they were the only thing left and grab one then.

There were two Vertex 70s on the floor and one of them was my size. They were both priced the same. All I wanted was the fork replaced (actually by the LBS) but they said they couldn't (wouldn't?) do it because it was a fork that was specc'd from RM. They said that RM would have to replace it.

If it was indeed damaged on the floor, I would expect the LBS to replace it. If it was damaged upon reciept then you would think RM would replace it.

I think if anything it was a struggle over who would have to pay. And someone wanted to get it out of me.

Hmmm. I wonder what ever happened to that bike?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 12:39 PM   #22
ghettocruiser
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: dropmachine.com
Bikes:
Posts: 4,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Hmmm. I wonder what ever happened to that bike?
I'd guess it went for a low low price at that shop's bankruptcy sale.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 12:40 PM   #23
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
If I had the spare coin to spend 1000$ more than the matching competetive bike I would get one however.
That's how Rocky has always struck me: mass-production bike at boutique-brand price.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 12:47 PM   #24
Siu Blue Wind
Metta
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,023
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
I'd guess it went for a low low price at that shop's bankruptcy sale.
Haha!! Funny you should say that! It did in fact close less than a year later!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 PM.