Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How to build a skills course?

    Does anyone have any good info about building a skills course (w/ bridges, teeters, jumps, etc)? I'm planning on building one in the woods behind my house. Any info on it is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Lost in the Black Hills mx_599's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make the pivot point off-center on the teeter

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern NH, USA
    My Bikes
    Masi
    Posts
    134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the land owners permission before you do anything!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by No Mojo View Post
    Get the land owners permission before you do anything!
    I should have specified it'll be in my backyard so it's on my own land.

  5. #5
    ...is my hero! DylanTremblay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    My Bikes
    2008 Kink Whip, 2006 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Norco Wolverine, 2006 Iron Horse FsZ
    Posts
    864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plan ahead. Lots! Make a plan before you start digging a hole for dirt or before you start cutting wood. Other than that just be creative and have fun.

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Trek 3900
    Posts
    1,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    take an atv and just tear through the woods... lol... then go through and dig it up


    j/k by the way

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    old Mongoose, very abused on trails, getting a new bike summer '08
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can create instant ruts/berms by spinning the back tire of a dirtbike, then build up the outer edges. As a matter of fact dirtbikes tear up the ground pretty quick, that would work well for a quick layout.

    I'd definetly rent a little earthmover or a tractor with a bucket in front for dumping dirt piles. Here's a weird idea, call PG&E and find out what they do with those old telephone poles, you could cut 'em up for different obstacles or bridge building. Maybe find a sturdy old picnic table you can anchor to the ground for tabletop stuff.

    Have fun, plan the layout, test ride it (your buddies too for their valuable input) and beg, beg, beg for your friends for free labor!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Construction sites are great resources for building materials..

  9. #9
    Senior Member taylor p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brainerd MN
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoine View Post
    Construction sites are great resources for building materials..
    Yup and it works best to go at night

  10. #10
    BFG
    BFG is offline
    Just say no to brakes. BFG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Guildford...Perth...Western Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant Rincon, Sanki road bike, Iron Horse SGS and DBR BSX Comp.
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be careful about what you imply guys, about the construction sites. A few buddies and i built some shore type stuff at his house, and we didn't evem have to steal the stuff, we just went up and asked their scraps/offcuts/old pallets. They were more than happy to give them to us.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    old Mongoose, very abused on trails, getting a new bike summer '08
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was one of the office gals for a local general contractor years ago, and we had jobsite thefts, now I know who you are... all crazy mtnbikers building sheet...!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah.. I meant ask for scrap wood.. not stealing.

  13. #13
    Senior Member taylor p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brainerd MN
    Posts
    999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cattrails View Post
    I was one of the office gals for a local general contractor years ago, and we had jobsite thefts, now I know who you are... all crazy mtnbikers building sheet...!
    And I was joking. Thought I have gone and asked if I could take some lumber out of their dumpster

  14. #14
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Trek 3900
    Posts
    1,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    , and we didn't evem have to steal the stuff, we just went up and asked their scraps/offcuts/old pallets. They were more than happy to give them to us.
    Thats because they dont have to pay to have them shipped out and disposed LOL!
    its cheaper and easier for them, and you get what you want.
    its a win-win lol


    Look into renting something like a bob cat or something.
    There fairly easy to drive once you get the hang of it... just the whole pedal/joystick coordination thing takes a bit lol.
    (yes ive operated them before)

  15. #15
    A wanabe poser monkey Bushpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cattrails View Post
    You can create instant ruts/berms by spinning the back tire of a dirtbike, then build up the outer edges. As a matter of fact dirtbikes tear up the ground pretty quick, that would work well for a quick layout.

    I'd definetly rent a little earthmover or a tractor with a bucket in front for dumping dirt piles. Here's a weird idea, call PG&E and find out what they do with those old telephone poles, you could cut 'em up for different obstacles or bridge building. Maybe find a sturdy old picnic table you can anchor to the ground for tabletop stuff.

    Have fun, plan the layout, test ride it (your buddies too for their valuable input) and beg, beg, beg for your friends for free labor!
    I have forged many of trail with my dirt bike. Then mountain bikers claim it as there own and get all pissed when i meet them on the trail. Dam tree huggers.
    08 Cannondale F3 in Black

  16. #16
    Senior Member cosmo starr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    build a pump track....and ^^^wtf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •