Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-08, 08:58 PM   #1
jjmolyet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jjmolyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Roadie needs help with new bike.

I have been riding a road bike for 5+ years and am looking into a mountain bike. I like the idea of a 29er and rode a Gary Fisher paragon today it was a 19" and I think I need a 21". I am interested in the GF X-caliber also to save some bucks. Here are my issues:

I am 6' 3" tall my inseam is 30-31inches and my arm span is 6' 7" Crazy measurements, I know

Not sure the difference between X9 and X7 shifters

Tempted by the Motobecane Fantom 29PRO Mountain Bike
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm

Would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions, Thank you in advance!
__________________
2005 Giant OCR Composite3
2005 Trek 3700
2006 Flyte SRS-3 FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
jjmolyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 12:59 AM   #2
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmolyet View Post
I have been riding a road bike for 5+ years and am looking into a mountain bike. I like the idea of a 29er and rode a Gary Fisher paragon today it was a 19" and I think I need a 21". I am interested in the GF X-caliber also to save some bucks. Here are my issues:

I am 6' 3" tall my inseam is 30-31inches and my arm span is 6' 7" Crazy measurements, I know

Not sure the difference between X9 and X7 shifters

Tempted by the Motobecane Fantom 29PRO Mountain Bike
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm

Would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions, Thank you in advance!
hello, i am a roadie too.

that looks like a great deal. motobecane is nothing special. however, you could probably argue that the frame is the least important part anyhow. everything else looks pretty good. you really can't go wrong. i would just get that one rather than the paragon. especially if you think you might want to get an even nicer bike in the future. i don't really think the paragon is anything special so i would save the money.

x7 is great! really just the weight difference. it will shift just as well. kind of like 105 vs ultegra or centaur? vs chorus. i must admit i gravitate towards the x9 but i also used a x7 RD with absolutely no problems.

hope that helps
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 06:43 AM   #3
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,011
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599 View Post
hello, i am a roadie too.

that looks like a great deal. motobecane is nothing special. however, you could probably argue that the frame is the least important part anyhow. everything else looks pretty good. you really can't go wrong. i would just get that one rather than the paragon. especially if you think you might want to get an even nicer bike in the future. i don't really think the paragon is anything special so i would save the money.

x7 is great! really just the weight difference. it will shift just as well. kind of like 105 vs ultegra or centaur? vs chorus. i must admit i gravitate towards the x9 but i also used a x7 RD with absolutely no problems.

hope that helps
I've been shopping around for parts recently and I thought I read somewere that the X7 RD has a different actuation ratio so it can only be used with a 1:1 SRAM shifter. Just something to keep in mind.

I could be wrong though, I don't remember where I read that.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 07:36 AM   #4
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
I've been shopping around for parts recently and I thought I read somewere that the X7 RD has a different actuation ratio so it can only be used with a 1:1 SRAM shifter. Just something to keep in mind.

I could be wrong though, I don't remember where I read that.
i don't know. i also just realized that the op was refering more to shifters and i was talking about derailleurs. oops
mx_599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 02:50 AM   #5
boss4774
lead out
 
boss4774's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manhattan, KS
Bikes: '10 Fuji Cross RC, '09 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL, '0 Gary Fisher Paragon, IRO Model 19
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
alright....here is the scoop

I am just shy of 6'3, arm span of 6'6, and inseam (pant size, not 'measured' inseam) of 34in. So I am built similarly to you, only with longer legs

I have an '07 paragon (19in frame) and love it. The deal with the pre-2008 GF geometry was it was designed to fit people with longer arms/torso, hence why it fits me so well. Go into your LBS and have them fit you to a 29er (both old and new) to find out if you will need that 21in frame.

As for the frame, the only difference from the Paragon down to the Cobia is the color. They are all great.

The jump from X7 to X9 is like jumping from 105 to Ultegra SL. I've found the X9 is a lot smoother and a little lighter (but I don't care so much about saving weight)

any other questions, PM me or email me. I'd be happy to help you out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4022.JPG (64.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg puddlejumper.jpg (72.9 KB, 14 views)
boss4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 05:52 PM   #6
jjmolyet
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jjmolyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for everyones tips, so many more variables in mtb bikes,than road bikes.I will keep you posted. Top choices are:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm

http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=14&itemid=304

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/mode...liber/bigimage

http://www.orbea-usa.com/fly.aspx?mi...duct&taxid=550
__________________
2005 Giant OCR Composite3
2005 Trek 3700
2006 Flyte SRS-3 FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
jjmolyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 12:39 AM   #7
stevirey
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland,Or.
Bikes: Banshee Scirocco,Fetish Cycles Fixation(commuter),KHS FR 2000
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as far as shifters go...

X-9 and X-7 work virtually the same.I have both.I would theorize X-9 might last longer.Same for the deraileurs.
stevirey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 01:12 AM   #8
boss4774
lead out
 
boss4774's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manhattan, KS
Bikes: '10 Fuji Cross RC, '09 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL, '0 Gary Fisher Paragon, IRO Model 19
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
moto: Stay away from that Tora fork.

Dback: BB5 brakes are a little sketchy.

GF: solid bike, full X7, Fox fork is smokin, hydraulic brakes a plus

Orbea: depending on the specs, also a solid build. The black version of this frame would be rather sexy with a matte black reba.
boss4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 01:14 AM   #9
boss4774
lead out
 
boss4774's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manhattan, KS
Bikes: '10 Fuji Cross RC, '09 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL, '0 Gary Fisher Paragon, IRO Model 19
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the most important thing is fit though. go into a shop and sit on a couple of the frames.
boss4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 PM.