Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-08, 10:12 PM   #1
mazdaspeed
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mazdaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA state
Bikes:
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help me find a fork

I need an inexpensive v-brake fork that fits in a 1 1/8 tube, the steer tube on this frame is 155mm long.

I'd like to get one with a suspension, but I don't want to spend more than say, $75 ish. If nothing half decent is possible in that range, I guess I could use a rigid one. Another thing I was wondering is if forks usually come with the bearings, or if I need to buy them separately.

Here are some ebay forks if you feel like finding one for me.. haha

http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.co...nsifQQsbrsrtZl
mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:21 PM   #2
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.
 
bcart1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cracklanta, GA
Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Rock Shox Dart in excellent condition that I'm not using. No headset though.

Interested?
bcart1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:21 PM   #3
NitroPye
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
In the $75 range stick with a rigid fork.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:24 PM   #4
mazdaspeed
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mazdaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA state
Bikes:
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcart1991 View Post
I have a Rock Shox Dart in excellent condition that I'm not using. No headset though.

Interested?
Possibly, I'll have to get back to you on that. Do you know what's up with the bearing thing? (sorry I'm a noob)
mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:27 PM   #5
mazdaspeed
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mazdaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA state
Bikes:
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One thing about the rigid fork is that it's lighter, how do they hold up to abuse?
mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:27 PM   #6
kramnnim
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They usually don't come with the headset ("bearings")...
kramnnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:33 PM   #7
NitroPye
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Rigid forks vary as to how they hold up to abuse. It is just a personal preference for me, but riding a really crappy elastomer fork on the trails for 10 year and then riding a nice Fox fork I must say I would rather a rigid fork as the rebound wouldn't screw me up so much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 10:38 PM   #8
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I forgot to show you this before you left today - - this is a Canadian shop in New Brunswick but they have some interesting deals sometimes. Click on the Clearance link and scroll to the bottom. You could e-mail the owner (he's pretty good about responding) and see if he still has any of these Marin chromoly rigid forks.

Good luck with your build! I'll poke my nose around some more up here and see if I can scare up a fork.

EDIT- - Oops! all that and I didn't post the link:
http://www.ramsays-online.com/clearancemenu.html
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:14 PM   #9
mazdaspeed
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mazdaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA state
Bikes:
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
They usually don't come with the headset ("bearings")...
Oh it's called a headset... haha.
mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:17 PM   #10
mazdaspeed
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mazdaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA state
Bikes:
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
I forgot to show you this before you left today - - this is a Canadian shop in New Brunswick but they have some interesting deals sometimes. Click on the Clearance link and scroll to the bottom. You could e-mail the owner (he's pretty good about responding) and see if he still has any of these Marin chromoly rigid forks.

Good luck with your build! I'll poke my nose around some more up here and see if I can scare up a fork.
I don't see the link..

Thanks again for the frame by the way, it's great
mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:18 PM   #11
mazdaspeed
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mazdaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA state
Bikes:
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPye View Post
Rigid forks vary as to how they hold up to abuse. It is just a personal preference for me, but riding a really crappy elastomer fork on the trails for 10 year and then riding a nice Fox fork I must say I would rather a rigid fork as the rebound wouldn't screw me up so much.
Hm interesting
mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:51 PM   #12
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed View Post
I don't see the link..

Thanks again for the frame by the way, it's great
My bad - - In case you miss my edit above:
http://www.ramsays-online.com/clearancemenu.html
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:59 PM   #13
mazdaspeed
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mazdaspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WA state
Bikes:
Posts: 4,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
My bad - - In case you miss my edit above:
http://www.ramsays-online.com/clearancemenu.html
Thanks, those forks look like a good deal.
mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 PM.