Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-08, 02:44 PM   #1
Johnny Lomax
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Johnny Lomax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subtitution of front suspension fork prior to road accident

Fork substitution prior to road accident
Johnny Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 02:48 PM   #2
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you looking for a new fork?
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 02:52 PM   #3
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,999
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I read the other thread and I don't get it.
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 02:56 PM   #4
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like you need a new for fer sure. Do you have a pic of the whole bike?
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:07 PM   #5
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It appears that the crown has removable bolts, so replace everything below the crown, if you are unable to remove the steerer tube from the head tube. Marzocchi has forks with similar construction, i would start there for replacement parts.

Last edited by elf 232; 03-09-08 at 03:19 PM.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:11 PM   #6
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If that thing has taken a lick bad anough to bend it the whole thing should be replaced as well as the frame checked for cracks. Damn dude, your stupid advice is gonna get someone hurt.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:18 PM   #7
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
If that thing has taken a lick bad anough to bend it the whole thing should be replaced as well as the frame checked for cracks. Damn dude, your stupid advice is gonna get someone hurt.
...come back down to reality, if he wants to keep the bike and cannot find replacement parts for the steerer he has to use the old one, common sense dictates an examination for cracks, the steerer tube is braced by the head tube, the point that the fork bent at, is a higher stress point than the steerer tube to crown connection (which is why that broke rather than the stanchions) the answer to a problem is not always to trash everything and start over. Its likely that the rest of the frame is fine (depending on material) (if it is Al i would begin looking for a new frame soon, after about 10 years aluminum frames develop stress fractures from common use)

Stop gunning for me, and act mature.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:21 PM   #8
xcracer13
Nitro
 
xcracer13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: canyon lake, tx
Bikes: Salsa
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steerer tubes aren't supposed to come out of the fork crown, and if yours doews you may want to send it back for warranty ASAP!
xcracer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:24 PM   #9
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Often with older bikes strength was slightly out of proportion, while stanchions may have been made of thinner steel, the steerer may have been excessively reinforced. You wont know until you look for yourself.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:24 PM   #10
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
...come back down to reality, if he wants to keep the bike and cannot find replacement parts for the steerer he has to use the old one, common sense dictates an examination for cracks, the steerer tube is braced by the head tube, the point that the fork bent at, is a higher stress point than the steerer tube to crown connection (which is why that broke rather than the stanchions) the answer to a problem is not always to trash everything and start over. Its likely that the rest of the frame is fine (depending on material) (if it is Al i would begin looking for a new frame soon, after about 10 years aluminum frames develop stress fractures from common use)

Stop gunning for me, and act mature.
Stop posting stupid crap and get some idea of what you're talking about. There should be a disclaimer about clueless groms giving out advice.

How many older bikes have you owned?
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:25 PM   #11
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcracer13 View Post
Steerer tubes aren't supposed to come out of the fork crown, and if yours doews you may want to send it back for warranty ASAP!
I didnt say steerer tube from crown, i said stanchions from crown.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:26 PM   #12
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
Stop posting stupid crap and get some idea of what you're talking about. There should be a disclaimer about clueless groms giving out advice.
Find an article proving me wrong, on any of my points and I will humbly bow before you.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:26 PM   #13
kenhill3
use your best eye
 
kenhill3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
...come back down to reality, if he wants to keep the bike and cannot find replacement parts for the steerer he has to use the old one, common sense dictates an examination for cracks, the steerer tube is braced by the head tube, the point that the fork bent at, is a higher stress point than the steerer tube to crown connection (which is why that broke rather than the stanchions) the answer to a problem is not always to trash everything and start over. Stop gunning for me, and act mature.
The reality is that pinch-bolted fork crowns are a thing of the past, and a dangerous one at that. Yes, the answer is not to always trash everything and start over, but in this case it IS the answer. I guarantee that the crown is toast.
__________________
"I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.
kenhill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:27 PM   #14
victim
Senior Member
 
victim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
Stop posting stupid crap and get some idea of what you're talking about. There should be a disclaimer about clueless groms giving out advice.
He's not clueless he is delusional. Much more dangerous.
victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:29 PM   #15
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
How many older bikes have you owned?
I was previously very interested in old roadies and other older bikes and looked into them veryyy deeply and talked to many owners and vintage trek riders, after i was looking over a few of my biker buddies older treks.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:30 PM   #16
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by victim View Post
He's not clueless he is delusional. Much more dangerous.
Oh, i humbly submit your right.

Now, no more cracks from the peanut gallery.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:33 PM   #17
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhill3 View Post
The reality is that pinch-bolted fork crowns are a thing of the past, and a dangerous one at that. Yes, the answer is not to always trash everything and start over, but in this case it IS the answer. I guarantee that the crown is toast.
Honestly, there is no way to know until the poster examines the frame and steerer for hairline fractures with a magnifying glass... same thing every shop will tell you about fractures.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:34 PM   #18
kenhill3
use your best eye
 
kenhill3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
I was previously very interested in old roadies and other older bikes and looked into them veryyy deeply, after i was looking over a few of my biker buddies older treks.
'Interested' and 'looking very deeply' do not count as experience. How many pinch-bolt crowned forks have you spent any amount of time riding?
__________________
"I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.
kenhill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:34 PM   #19
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
Find an article proving me wrong, on any of my points and I will humbly bow before you.
I tried to hook you up with a compact pump so you wouldn't need to use your shock pump to pump your tires up but you declined.I really owe a big "I'm sorry" to XCracer and Profail. I should not have lumped them in with you. You are in a class by yourself.

I'm wondering, how long have you been riding?
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:36 PM   #20
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhill3 View Post
'Interested' and 'looking very deeply' do not count as experience. How many pinch-bolt crowned forks have you spent any amount of time riding?
I do have an older fuji, (really old) and i talked with people who have much experience, more experience than i could ever hope to get alone at my age, i submit that does count.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:36 PM   #21
Johnny Lomax
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Johnny Lomax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I really appreciate the level of knowledge and information being dished out here, but in fact I must agree with kenhill3. Thing is, if I am to put in a new fork, where can I find one that doesnt have the crown soldered onto the vertical tube?

Here are some new photos of the bike in question:





Johnny Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:38 PM   #22
kenhill3
use your best eye
 
kenhill3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Olympia, Washington
Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
Honestly, there is no way to know until the poster examines the frame and steerer for hairline fractures with a magnifying glass... same thing every shop will tell you about fractures.
Incorrect. The poster is certainly not qualified to identify stress fracture or risers- unless he is an experienced and competent mechanic.
__________________
"I tell you, We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." - Kurt Vonnegut jr.
kenhill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:39 PM   #23
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
I tried to hook you up with a compact pump so you wouldn't need to use your shock pump to pump your tires up but you declined.I really owe a big "I'm sorry" to XCracer and Profail. I should not have lumped them in with you. You are in a class by yourself.

I'm wondering, how long have you been riding?
Apparently not long enough for the old fogeys on this forum. Im really not sure yet what you have a problem with, you just keep saying how absurd my statements are about the applying subject...

I have not seen you give any take on how to solve this problem other than to trash the whole set-up. What in your opinion should this member do about his vintage bike?
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:42 PM   #24
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf 232 View Post
Apparently not long enough for the old fogeys on this forum. Im really not sure yet what you have a problem with, you just keep saying how absurd my statements are about the applying subject...

I have not seen you give any take on how to solve this problem other than to trash the whole set-up. What in your opinion should this member do about his vintage bike?
I didn't say trash the whole setup. I would give a very close inspection and at the least find a new fork.

So how long have you been riding?
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 03:43 PM   #25
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhill3 View Post
Incorrect. The poster is certainly not qualified to identify stress fracture or risers- unless he is an experienced and competent mechanic.
I fully agree, take it to your LBS, have them examine the steerer, and see what they recomend. It absolutely could fractured to pieces when it is examined, but it shouldnt be judged by guesses of possible outcome.

My final word on this subject.
elf 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:18 PM.