Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Choice between bikes

    Ok so here is my dilemma, I want a bike for fitness, commuting, and mountain. My commutes would be less than 3 miles one way at most. Should I a.) Buy a road/hybrid bike i.e Specialized Sirrus http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32215 b.) Buy a mountain bike i.e. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33092 or c.) buy both. I am hoping to spend less than $1000 give or take. I will not be doing anything too extreme atleast not right away, and what I am afraid of is buying one bike or the other and then being upset. Any opinions?

  2. #2
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittorious View Post
    Ok so here is my dilemma, I want a bike for fitness, commuting, and mountain. My commutes would be less than 3 miles one way at most. Should I a.) Buy a road/hybrid bike i.e Specialized Sirrus http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32215 b.) Buy a mountain bike i.e. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33092 or c.) buy both. I am hoping to spend less than $1000 give or take. I will not be doing anything too extreme atleast not right away, and what I am afraid of is buying one bike or the other and then being upset. Any opinions?
    If the commute is not too far (like 3 miles), I'd opt for the mountain bike simply for the sake of being able to do everything.

  3. #3
    one less horse cryptid01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Jesus NY
    My Bikes
    are better than yours
    Posts
    5,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenLi View Post
    If the commute is not too far (like 3 miles), I'd opt for the mountain bike simply for the sake of being able to do everything.
    I concur.

    A hybrid is like an above ground pool.

  4. #4
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice hardtail would work well for ya.

    Gastro, don't be harsh. My above ground pool has a slide and the little mermaid on it.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker66 View Post
    A nice hardtail would work well for ya.

    Gastro, don't be harsh. My above ground pool has a slide and the little mermaid on it.
    Alrighty then what do you think is better between Rockhopper Comp Disc and the same bike but 29er

  6. #6
    Old School Rad mtnbiker66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The old Mountains
    My Bikes
    Blur LT
    Posts
    8,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the opportunity, ride both. What will your off road riding be like.
    Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure im pretty new to this. I would imagine it would be mainly easy to moderate trails if that means anything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •