Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-08, 08:35 PM   #1
ProFail
Generic Title
Thread Starter
 
ProFail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Balls Jammed

Excuse my crass title, but my Speedball is once again failing on epic proportion. That crap will NOT clamp onto my rails. I jumped a small set of stairs (maybe four feet) and my seat flew off and got caught in between my legs. This isn't to much of a problem, just takes a few minutes to pull out my tools and put the seat back on. However, it is somewhat disheartening that a super-expensive seatpost like the Speedball has such a poorly designed clamp. I don't slam my butt onto the seat after a drop either, I just sit down slightly harder than usual.

This wasn't even the main problem today though. While coasting to the rocks at NCSU (good place to practice 180˚ pivots), I sat up, took my hands off the bars and stretched. next thing I know, my seat flies off the post, I fall backwards and my 'nads are being pulled off by my tires. To say the least, it hurt. I also ran over my own foot.

Took that POS Speedball off today and put on my old seatpost. Unfortunately, I stored it incorrectly so I found a dent in it, and had to use my Dad's post. Now I have to go out and get a new one for my bike tommorow. I figure I'll be plain and just get a Thomson Elite.


You disapoint me, Maverick.
__________________
Generic Joke

Last edited by ProFail; 03-15-08 at 08:46 PM.
ProFail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 08:46 PM   #2
never
Custom User
 
never's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: T0L0K0
Bikes:
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How does it clamp onto the saddle? The Gravity Dropper uses a Thomson style clamp...super solid and secure.
never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 08:56 PM   #3
ProFail
Generic Title
Thread Starter
 
ProFail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Like that. There's nothing stopping the seat from coming off if you hit the rear or front of the seat too hard (leverage at its worst).
__________________
Generic Joke
ProFail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 08:58 PM   #4
Cheeto
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Bikes: Trek 3900
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thomson Elite is great!
No problems at all yet.
Cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 09:31 PM   #5
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Nuf said.
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 09:33 PM   #6
Cheeto
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Bikes: Trek 3900
Posts: 1,831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^ he's not talking about a seat post clamp, hes talking about the seat rail clamps.
They failed just like my old Bontragers did.

Saw your sig, Those EX8 fuels are awesome. Saw one in the shop today... it was a Womens version though.
Cheeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 09:36 PM   #7
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
^ he's not talking about a seat post clamp, hes talking about the seat rail clamps.
They failed just like my old Bontragers did.
I am well aware of that. The point of my posting the QR clamp was the fact that I feel Gravity Droppers/Speedballs are unnecessary when one has a QR seat clamp. I know many will disagree, but that's my opinion.
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 11:17 PM   #8
never
Custom User
 
never's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: T0L0K0
Bikes:
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP. View Post
I am well aware of that. The point of my posting the QR clamp was the fact that I feel Gravity Droppers/Speedballs are unnecessary when one has a QR seat clamp. I know many will disagree, but that's my opinion.
On a trail bike, the GD is the way to go!
never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 11:32 PM   #9
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by never View Post
On a trail bike, the GD is the way to go!
Ah, again, it's personal preference. I've thought about getting one, but always decide against it.
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 12:28 AM   #10
never
Custom User
 
never's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: T0L0K0
Bikes:
Posts: 3,739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you get one, you'll wonder why you didn't sooner.
never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 12:32 AM   #11
BFG
Just say no to brakes.
 
BFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Perth...Western Australia
Bikes: All the TGMBG mums
Posts: 1,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by never View Post
When you get one, you'll wonder why you didn't sooner.
You're an old hand at this marketing bidness.
BFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 01:36 AM   #12
markhr
POWERCRANK addict
 
markhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Acton, West London, UK
Bikes:
Posts: 3,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP. View Post
...I feel Gravity Droppers/Speedballs are unnecessary when one has a QR seat clamp...
I thought so too until I saw an article on the Megavalanche winner who insisted having the remote speedball was a life changing experience.

It's a pity that they have a reputation for jamming, sticking and the clamps not working when the saddle gets knocked. Crankbros/Selle Royal may improve the posts but I'm not holding my breath.
__________________
shameless POWERCRANK plug
Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
markhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 05:47 AM   #13
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
Excuse my crass title, but my Speedball is once again failing on epic proportion. That crap will NOT clamp onto my rails. I jumped a small set of stairs (maybe four feet) and my seat flew off and got caught in between my legs. This isn't to much of a problem, just takes a few minutes to pull out my tools and put the seat back on. However, it is somewhat disheartening that a super-expensive seatpost like the Speedball has such a poorly designed clamp. I don't slam my butt onto the seat after a drop either, I just sit down slightly harder than usual.

This wasn't even the main problem today though. While coasting to the rocks at NCSU (good place to practice 180˚ pivots), I sat up, took my hands off the bars and stretched. next thing I know, my seat flies off the post, I fall backwards and my 'nads are being pulled off by my tires. To say the least, it hurt. I also ran over my own foot.

Took that POS Speedball off today and put on my old seatpost. Unfortunately, I stored it incorrectly so I found a dent in it, and had to use my Dad's post. Now I have to go out and get a new one for my bike tommorow. I figure I'll be plain and just get a Thomson Elite.


You disapoint me, Maverick.


I can't say anyhing bad about the Thomson. They're srtong,and light.

Igotta tell ya, the vision I got of you getting your nads ripped off by the rear tire made me LOL out loud!!! You made my morning.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 07:48 AM   #14
troie
:\ ping of death
 
troie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: La$ Vega$
Bikes:
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
While coasting to the rocks at NCSU (good place to practice 180˚ pivots), I sat up, took my hands off the bars and stretched. next thing I know, my seat flies off the post
Perhaps you put it on wrong?
troie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 10:24 AM   #15
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend
 
junkyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: American Gardens Building
Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by never View Post
On a trail bike, the GD is the way to go!
What does the Grateful Dead have to do with this??
junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 12:50 PM   #16
Terrapin Ben
I'm simply not credible.
 
Terrapin Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes: A blue one and a black one.
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what doesn't the omnipotent grateful dead have to do with anything? and by the way profail, same thinrg happened to me with a different seatpost and put me in the hospital. i feel your pain. imo, risking your balls isn't worth it. get a thomson and a QR clamp. your unborn children will thank you.
Terrapin Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 02:27 PM   #17
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
what doesn't the omnipotent grateful dead have to do with anything? and by the way profail, same thinrg happened to me with a different seatpost and put me in the hospital. i feel your pain. imo, risking your balls isn't worth it. get a thomson and a QR clamp. your unborn children will thank you.
But will society thank you for saving his unborn children?
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 05:17 PM   #18
ProFail
Generic Title
Thread Starter
 
ProFail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
But will society thank you for saving his unborn children?


I'm glad you lol'd at my misfortune, 66. You are a horrible person, 66.

Anyway, I smashed my derailleur today, and that's being fixed first.... It was so worth it IMO, though, since I pulled off the biggest move I've ever done in the process. (Hop onto rock, 90? font pivot to another rock, 90? pivot again onto another rock, roll back, side-hop off, smashy RD)

I guess I'll try to get rid of the SB for a little cash.

@Troie

Negatory, I made sure each clamp was on securely and mega-tight.
__________________
Generic Joke
ProFail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 05:27 PM   #19
Psycle chic
.
 
Psycle chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFail View Post
Balls Jammed
Lol. That's what you get.
Psycle chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 05:27 PM   #20
ProFail
Generic Title
Thread Starter
 
ProFail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycle_chic View Post
Lol. That's what you get.
<3
__________________
Generic Joke
ProFail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 05:31 PM   #21
Psycle chic
.
 
Psycle chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
=3
Psycle chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 05:32 PM   #22
ProFail
Generic Title
Thread Starter
 
ProFail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Carolina
Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog
Posts: 1,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycle_chic View Post
=3
>={
__________________
Generic Joke
ProFail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 07:35 PM   #23
MattP.
Obeying Gravity
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhr View Post
I thought so too until I saw an article on the Megavalanche winner who insisted having the remote speedball was a life changing experience.
Changing seatposts, life changing? All this time I thought getting married, having kids, moving, ect were lift changing. Sounds like a sponsored riding boosting the product.
MattP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 08:22 PM   #24
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP. View Post
Changing seatposts, life changing? All this time I thought getting married, having kids, moving, ect were lift changing. Sounds like a sponsored riding boosting the product.
SHILL!



</roadie>
BenLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-08, 09:51 PM   #25
bearacuda
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP. View Post
I feel Gravity Droppers/Speedballs are unnecessary when one has a QR seat clamp. I know many will disagree, but that's my opinion.
So how is that QR seat clamp at dropping your saddle height for that 30 yard section of DH, and then raising it for that 200 yard climb, and then dropping it for that 20 yard descent, and then raising it for that 10 yard stinger climb, etc. all while riding along and not stopping?

Your QR seat clamp vs. GD/Sb/AMP is an apples to oranges comparison fueled by your lack of experience with seatposts that let you adjust saddle height on-the-fly.

Riders interested in an informed opinion should disregard your posts.
bearacuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 PM.