Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Humbly seeking thoughts on Vuelta Team SL ATB wheelset

    I have a Trek Fuel EX 9.5
    On this, I have full XTR group, with Mavic Crossmax SL-R wheels, 6-bolt XTR rotors, and Maxxis Larsen TT UST LUST tires. Fantastic wheelset and brakes, Terrific tires for off-road/XC riding, but lately I am finding myself doing a lot of riding on asphault and hard packed dirt (think dirt roads, freshly graded or maybe not so well graded in rural areas.) I want to get a second wheelset for the asphault/hardpacked riding but don't have another grand to drop on a second set of Mavics. This is what I'm considering as a good budget wheelset, and want some opinions: (I just had a kidney transplant, so money is a bit tight, so bang for the buck is my goal.)

    2008 Vuelta Team SL ATB disc wheelset
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-08-Vuelta-Te...QQcmdZViewItem

    specs:
    "XRP wheelsets are assembled by hand.
    Every wheel is stressed 3 times, trued to a tolerance of 0.5mm for MTB
    and 0.3 for racing. Every spoke is tension tested with a DT Swiss Gauge
    and backedby a limited manufacturer’s warranty."



    VUELTA 2008 XRP TEAM SL
    Size: 26" X 20MM
    Rim Material 6061 T6 Aluminum
    Type: Double Wall, welded seam, clincher
    Finish (Color): Anodized black

    Spokes: 2.2mm stainless bladed
    Count: Front: 28 Rear: 28
    Lacing: 3 cross
    Nipple: Brass CP Finish
    Compatibility: 7, 8, 9, 10 Speed (7-SPEED USERS NEED A SPACER)
    Freehub: SHIMANO cassette compatible
    Hubs: Vuelta forged alloy with high flanged hubs with CNC machined 6 bolt rotor mounts
    Hub Finish: Matte Black
    Bearing: Servicible sealed cartridge bearings
    Axle Material: aluminum alloy
    Axle Type: Q/R With Alloy Skewer
    Weight: F=739 grams / R= 863 grams with rim strips

    $270/pair shipped.

    1 pr. Shimano XT 6-bolt 160mm rotors ($60/pr)

    SRAM PG-990 9-speed cassette $99

    1 pr. Maxxis Holy Roller 26x2.2" wire bead tires + slime tubes $62



    (tires)
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=TR1293
    (tubes)
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=TU2631

    my goal here is light weight (relativvely speaking, since it's going on a 22 pound CF bike) with low rolling resistance, and good durability over the packed dirt, since fresh grading tends to leave a few good sized rocks in the road I don't always see in time, etc..

    Thank you sincerely for any advice, help, or opinions in advance.
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

  2. #2
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three years ago I bought a set of XRP's for a low budget build. Mine were considerably heavier, well over 2000 grams a set(still had the 24 count, bladed spoke two left, two right setup) but they held up to some jumps and drops. I considered them very similar to the entry level Mavic Crosslands in price and performance. This set says it's a lot lighter than mine were. They are fine for a low budget second set of wheels.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pavement is about all I would ride those wheels on. I TRIED a set of their 1500 gram road wheels. The rear lasted one ride.

  4. #4
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the wheels, tires, tubes etc.. set up, installed, and been riding on them sine Monday. I'm liking these wheels a LOT so far..
    Very stiff ride compared to the tubeless tires.. I guess that's what happens when you go from 25psi tubeless to 50psi tubed, and lock out the suspension.. haha

    anyway for those who care, were are a few pics:





    Last edited by GlassWolf; 05-12-08 at 12:08 PM.
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

  5. #5
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put em through some workouts and give us a review at the end of the season!

  6. #6
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    roger wilco!
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

  7. #7
    Duathlete indygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
    pavement is about all I would ride those wheels on. I TRIED a set of their 1500 gram road wheels. The rear lasted one ride.
    Again, we just disagree on normal usage. If you destroy a road wheel on one ride you are the issue.

    Again, to be very very clear, I am not doubting you or calling BS. Just very very very very very very hard on equipment.
    Run, Bike, Run.

  8. #8
    Duathlete indygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I have this set of wheels . . . so far so good, but I am still new to MTB (I am a roadie) with maybe 6-8 rides. I am about 175lbs. They feel very solid, but again it is tough to tell.
    Run, Bike, Run.

  9. #9
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    14 miles in the woods so far, zero problems with the Vuelta Team SLs. They don't have lots of bling, but they appear to be very solid, and they're very light. What else is there?

  10. #10
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indygreg View Post
    And I have this set of wheels . . . so far so good, but I am still new to MTB (I am a roadie) with maybe 6-8 rides. I am about 175lbs. They feel very solid, but again it is tough to tell.
    yeah I've been a roadie for 20+ years myself, and just started with MTBing this year after 12 years of living on a dirt road, I got tired of having to drive the road bike to a place I could ride with 19c wide tires.
    The Team SLs seem to work great for me, but then I'm only ~120lbs, too so I'm not putting much stress on them.

    thanks
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

  11. #11
    Duathlete indygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at 120 lbs you would be hard pressed to find wheels that do not last.
    Run, Bike, Run.

  12. #12
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true enough.. trying to put on weight now that I have a working kidney.. just takes time.
    the bike is helping to rebuild muscle tone after dialysis though, so it's all good, and it's something I enjoy.
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    14 miles in the woods so far, zero problems with the Vuelta Team SLs. They don't have lots of bling, but they appear to be very solid, and they're very light. What else is there?
    don't even make fun of Neuvations again.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indygreg View Post
    Again, we just disagree on normal usage. If you destroy a road wheel on one ride you are the issue.

    Again, to be very very clear, I am not doubting you or calling BS. Just very very very very very very hard on equipment.
    NO, if they die on one ride. THEY are the issue.

    Back to back road centuries and zero problems on

    one set of neuvations
    one replacement set of SL3

  15. #15
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    yeah I've been a roadie for 20+ years myself, and just started with MTBing this year after 12 years of living on a dirt road, I got tired of having to drive the road bike to a place I could ride with 19c wide tires.
    The Team SLs seem to work great for me, but then I'm only ~120lbs, too so I'm not putting much stress on them.

    thanks
    A carbon MTB ridden on dirt roads only? The Gods of War cry. Nashbar Bar Ends and Latex tubes?

  16. #16
    Should be riding Bike Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    My Bikes
    C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record
    Posts
    1,595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
    NO, if they die on one ride. THEY are the issue.

    Back to back road centuries and zero problems on

    one set of neuvations
    one replacement set of SL3
    Hmm, so in response to a mountain bike wheel thread, you are relating a road experience? How does that help?

    What happened that caused them to "last one ride"?

    I've had completely opposite experience with the XRP Team road wheels that I cannibalized from another bike to build my road bike. In fact, I've been using them for over one year without issue. Going into it, I expected to replace them quickly, but why would I get rid of a perfectly good set of wheels?

    Why'd you have to get a replacement set of SL3s? Did you get a replacement set of XRPs?
    Regret lasts longer than pain
    My LBS:
    http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...wneonsmall.jpg

  17. #17
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
    A carbon MTB ridden on dirt roads only? The Gods of War cry. Nashbar Bar Ends and Latex tubes?
    Once again, on dirt and pavement when I'm using it to go places I need to go. i.e., commuting around my rural area. The bar ends are comfortable, and the only ones I found similarly comfy were carbon bar ends that were selling for $100/pr or so, versus the $10/pr ones I'm using. I can't justify that difference in price just now, but if you'd like to buy them for me, I'm all for it! The tubes are heavy, as I mentioned, but for now they work. I may switch to normal tubes and just use tire strips or something instead, but I wanted some form of puncture protection, as the roads around here are littered with glass and such, and I don't feel like losing tubes and pulling out patch kits on every ride.

    I will also once again reiterate, that when I go riding XC in the gravel pits out here and on two-tracks, I use the Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset, with the XTR rotors and cassette, and the UST Maxxis Larsen TT tubeless tires, all of which are much lighter and @ 25psi, much more grippy off-road. I just don't want to wear them to nubs on asphault in a few months by riding those Larsens for commuting. Thus the second cheaper wheelset.
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

  18. #18
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    55,759
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick View Post
    don't even make fun of Neuvations again.
    Point taken my little Rutnick.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Lover View Post
    Hmm, so in response to a mountain bike wheel thread, you are relating a road experience? How does that help?

    What happened that caused them to "last one ride"?

    I've had completely opposite experience with the XRP Team road wheels that I cannibalized from another bike to build my road bike. In fact, I've been using them for over one year without issue. Going into it, I expected to replace them quickly, but why would I get rid of a perfectly good set of wheels?

    Why'd you have to get a replacement set of SL3s? Did you get a replacement set of XRPs?
    once again your reading comprehension skills are lacking my trollish friend. Indy knows what I'm talking about and if you want to go dig up that part then take the time yourself.

    There is nothing EXTREME about "X"RP (extreme racing products). The rear rim lasted one ride. What caused them to fail? My guess is that they are garbage or possibly the guy in the sweatshop was having massive hunger pains and didn't tension the rear wheel properly due to him about ready to pass out from hunger.

    It wasn't like I was hard on it. It took me nearly 400 miles to destroy a Mavic Enduro MTB wheel and even then it was a pawl issue.

    The SL3 broke a drive side spoke and was having rear hub issues within the first 500 miles. Doing a hard 43 miler with the club where my GF lives and decided to break away from the group at the 10 mile mark. One cat 3 rider caught me 15 miles later and he and I worked together until we found two more riders going our direction. At mile 38, I turned off to head back to her house and I stood on the pedals to crest this small climb at 20mph and the right drive side spoke popped. While on the same ride, the rear hub started moaning like a baby seal being clubbed to death. I had already relubed with with mineral oil and it helped for 2 rides until it did it again.

    I'm not a masher on the road and my cadence is usually in the high 80s to low 90s.

  20. #20
    Should be riding Bike Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    My Bikes
    C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record
    Posts
    1,595
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still, lasted one ride doesn't tell us anything. Why does it seem like I'm trolling? Could it be because you're quick to proclaim products "crap" without any backing or reasoning and I actually question you on it? Truth of the matter is many people use the same products you do without any issue. When someone has a different opinion, you're quick to bash and say proclaim they don't know what they're talking about. Based on all the components you have trashed I would say you're particularly hard on all your components, particularly since nothing seem to last more than one ride with you. There seem to be few products that can withstand your punishment. You must be able to dial it up to 400 watts or something.

    I think this is the most telling of your "review": "My guess is that they are garbage or possibly the guy in the sweatshop was having massive hunger pains and didn't tension the rear wheel properly due to him about ready to pass out from hunger."

    Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense either: "Indy knows what I'm talking about and if you want to go dig up that part then take the time yourself." Since he was not the original poster. Good attempt at trying to relate them though.
    Regret lasts longer than pain
    My LBS:
    http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...wneonsmall.jpg

  21. #21
    Senior Member Rutnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Lover View Post
    Still, lasted one ride doesn't tell us anything. Why does it seem like I'm trolling? Could it be because you're quick to proclaim products "crap" without any backing or reasoning and I actually question you on it? Truth of the matter is many people use the same products you do without any issue. When someone has a different opinion, you're quick to bash and say proclaim they don't know what they're talking about. Based on all the components you have trashed I would say you're particularly hard on all your components, particularly since nothing seem to last more than one ride with you. There seem to be few products that can withstand your punishment. You must be able to dial it up to 400 watts or something.

    I think this is the most telling of your "review": "My guess is that they are garbage or possibly the guy in the sweatshop was having massive hunger pains and didn't tension the rear wheel properly due to him about ready to pass out from hunger."

    Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense either: "Indy knows what I'm talking about and if you want to go dig up that part then take the time yourself." Since he was not the original poster. Good attempt at trying to relate them though.
    It goes back to previous conversations with Indy sunshine. Then again....why would I expect you to figure that part out with the massive clues given.

    You're right. I should give a part more time other than it failing the first ride out of the box and asking for a refund. I mean....why would I want to test more of them out when I've got things like riding to do. The MTB wheels don't fit my criteria for tubeless but hey...I'm the one riding the parts right? That's why one of the best riders in my area dumped American Classic as a sponsor. No tubeless option and honestly, why I wouldn't spend a dime on the XRPs.

    Current MTB Wheelsets:
    XTR and Mavic 819s (hand built)
    Bontrager Race X Lites
    2 sets of Mavic Enduro

    819s have been bullet proof
    Surprising enough so have the Race X Lites
    Broke and already fixed the rear hub on one of the Enduros

    You better start digging out those cut and paste skills my trolling friend so you can show where I didn't back up a claim.

    I rode a wheelset and it failed on the first ride. The tension either wasn't right out of the box or the rims are made of wet cardboard. Hubs seemed ok but the rear rim was demolished and I wasn't going to try and get that thing back to true.

    Truth of the matter is that I really don't care if you have 10k miles on that wheelset with no issues. I still think they are junk. I have about as much respect for them as Pcad has for Neuvation.

  22. #22
    cat person GlassWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Michigan
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Race SIS (1987), Kestrel Talon (2007), Trek Fuel EX 9.5 (2007)
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Race X Lites? My 9.5 came with a set of those. I dumped them after eyelet fractures plagued my set.
    That's where my Mavic Crossmax SLRs came into play as the replacement. Those have been terrific wheels so far.

    OK, for some useful, objective information, I took both of my wheelsets last night, hung them on my digital scale, and also added up the parts from weight weenies and the mfgr siites to compare. I will now offer up unto you, my friends, the results:

    Mavic Crossmax SLR 6-bolt disc front wheel with stock hub, spokes, rim strip, presta valve
    Mavic skewer
    Shimano XTR 6-bolt 160mm rotor and lock bolts
    Maxxis Larsen TT "LUST" UST 26"x2.2" tire, folding
    Stan's No Tubes UST tire sealant, 2oz
    advertised/estimated wgt:1770 grams
    actual weight: 1665 grams

    Rear wheel weight with Shimano XTR 9-speed 11-34t cassette:
    estimated: 2164 grams
    actual: 2135 grams



    Vuelta Team SL ATB 6-bolt disc front wheel, stock hub, spokes, rim strip
    Vuelta alloy skewer
    Aztec stainless 6-bolt 160mm rotor with locking bolts
    Slime 26"x2.125" Smart Tube, presta valve with cap
    Slime Tube Protector strip, 26"x2.125"
    Maxxis Holy Roller tire, 26"x2.2", wire bead
    estimated wgt: 2125 grams
    actual wgt: 2120 grams

    Rear wheel weight with SRAM PG-990 11-34t cassette:
    estimated: 2544 grams
    actual: 2590 grams

    Last edited by GlassWolf; 05-12-08 at 12:06 PM.
    GlassWolf
    Organ Donors Save Lives.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •