Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    8,940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What's an 05 Stumpjumper worth?

    A local guy is selling an 05 Stumpjumper Disc. It's all original except for a Thompson seat post and stem, and carbon bars. It has not been abused and looks to be in pretty good shape. His asking price is $ 600.
    Here's a link to the catalog:
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...005&spid=21542
    My current hardtail is a 05 Rockhopper upgraded with a 100mm Fox RL, XT 8 speed shifters, XT V-Brakes, LX derailers and Mavic X221 rims.
    The only advantages that I can see in the Stumpy are the disc brakes, the M4 frame, and the lighter bars and Thompson goodies.
    1) What in your opinion is a good price for the Stumpy?
    2) Is it worth it to go for the better M4 frame or just stay with the Rockhopper? I still have all the original parts for the Rockhopper and estimate it will sell for around $200 to $250 returned to stock or mostly stock.

    Oh yeah, this bike will only be used on single track, technical trails.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  2. #2
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    A local guy is selling an 05 Stumpjumper Disc. It's all original except for a Thompson seat post and stem, and carbon bars. It has not been abused and looks to be in pretty good shape. His asking price is $ 600.
    Here's a link to the catalog:
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...005&spid=21542
    My current hardtail is a 05 Rockhopper upgraded with a 100mm Fox RL, XT 8 speed shifters, XT V-Brakes, LX derailers and Mavic X221 rims.
    The only advantages that I can see in the Stumpy are the disc brakes, the M4 frame, and the lighter bars and Thompson goodies.
    1) What in your opinion is a good price for the Stumpy?
    2) Is it worth it to go for the better M4 frame or just stay with the Rockhopper? I still have all the original parts for the Rockhopper and estimate it will sell for around $200 to $250 returned to stock or mostly stock.

    Oh yeah, this bike will only be used on single track, technical trails.
    I would just keep the Rockhopper. I think the "M4" is more marketing jargon than anything.

  3. #3
    I'm simply not credible. Terrapin Ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    A blue one and a black one.
    Posts
    612
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd pick it up for $600. i don't think i'd even think twice about it.
    Every time that wheel turn round,
    Bound to cover just a little more ground

    - J. Garcia

  4. #4
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stumpy started life at about 24 lbs. don't know what it weighs now, or what your rockhopper is weighing, but that might be something to check out if you looking to save weight.
    My price estimate was 500-600.

  5. #5
    Bike Junkie roccobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Posts
    8,940
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bahick View Post
    The stumpy started life at about 24 lbs. don't know what it weighs now, or what your rockhopper is weighing, but that might be something to check out if you looking to save weight.
    My price estimate was 500-600.
    Good point, after making two changes, the Manitou Axle shock for the Fox RL and Alex rims for Mavic X221's, the Rockhopper is down to approximately 28lbs. So it would be an additional loss of 4 lbs to go to the Stumpy.
    Any other opinions?
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

  6. #6
    M_S
    M_S is offline
    All Mod Cons M_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Face down in a snowbank
    My Bikes
    K2 Enemey Cyclocross franken build; Redline D660 29er, Volpe SS Cross
    Posts
    3,694
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with the Stumpy. You may decide you like the fork or a few other things better off of your rockhopper, but you could easily transfer those parts over.

  7. #7
    Official Website Waterboy born2bahick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    a lot
    Posts
    3,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    So it would be an additional loss of 4 lbs to go to the Stumpy.
    Any other opinions?
    Well that's assuming he hasn't gone with heavier, wider tires and tubes and added some heavier seat, grips and so on... It would be something to look at though.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 5 minutes too late to grab a 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Comp for $850 the other day...should've waited on that beer until after I checked out the bike. I got to ride it though, but when I was pulling up the driveway to say I'd take the person ahead of me was writing a check. Sad day.

  9. #9
    Duathlete indygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what was MSRP on that?
    Run, Bike, Run.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indygreg View Post
    what was MSRP on that?
    2200 I think.

  11. #11
    Duathlete indygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would buy that very quickly if it is the right size.
    Run, Bike, Run.

  12. #12
    Senior Member victim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin_ View Post
    2200 I think.
    Off the top of head, that sounds high. Are you thinking FSR?

  13. #13
    Duathlete indygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, now that I think about it . . . 2200 seems high. I still think that $600 if in really good shape is a decent deal.
    Run, Bike, Run.

  14. #14
    Senior Member victim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indygreg View Post
    yeah, now that I think about it . . . 2200 seems high. I still think that $600 if in really good shape is a decent deal.
    I agree, if it fits ok.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I was thinking about the FSR. The bike we're talking about has an msrp of 1500. Here's a link to the bikepedia http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...0596&Type=bike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •