Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    enduro hardtail?

    I'm looking to get a mountain bike, and found this:

    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/675739178.html

    anyone ever heard about it? I was staying away from the enduro FSR because I'll be doing XC mostly and want something that climbs, but I can't find any info on this bike. Can anyone here help me?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  2. #2
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a scam.

    EDIT: Did some more research, and found that it's real. So nevermind.

    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_har...ct_72859.shtml

  3. #3
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for doing the research. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. He says it has a manitou minute fork on it, but I'm wondering if it will be ok for a lot of XC and singletrack riding. People seem to think of it as a DH HT, but if it's not too heavy, I'm hoping I'll be able to climb on it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  4. #4
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kudude View Post
    thanks for doing the research. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. He says it has a manitou minute fork on it, but I'm wondering if it will be ok for a lot of XC and singletrack riding. People seem to think of it as a DH HT, but if it's not too heavy, I'm hoping I'll be able to climb on it.....
    Okay, so the last reincarnation of the bike is 2001, which means that the bike is AT LEAST 7 years old. Check for wear in the drivetrain, and of course, cracks in the metal. IIRC, the minute fork is one that has "infinitely adjustable travel", so for XC, you should be able to crank it down to 100mm and climb.

    However, some of the forums indicated that the enduro is more of a beefy hardtail than a XC machine, so I wouldn't expect it to be very light.

    Lastly, don't pay $500 for it.

  5. #5
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $500 is too much? what would you pay? anything specific I should look for assuming it's in decent shape?

    thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    old Mongoose, very abused on trails, getting a new bike summer '08
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7 years old... I wouldn't pay more that $200-$250.

    Reason # 1. You can buy a basic but decent brand new hardtail for a few hundred more,
    Reason #2 if it's a Pro bike he may have been really rough on it over the years,
    Reason #.3 because it's a hardtail (no rear shock)

    Take a look at Specialized.com and look at the more basic models available for a comparison. Bikes have come a long way in the past five years and are made with better materials and components nowadays, another option before you plunk down that cash is to check your local bike shops for used bikes. More than likely you will at least get something tuned and tested.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    old Mongoose, very abused on trails, getting a new bike summer '08
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Hardrock, HRXC and Rockhopper at Specialized.com you might like what you see.

    The components may be better on that used bike but they will have wear and tear. My friend bought a used "Pro" bike off a friend and ended up dumping $250+ into getting it into shape. That's after the $1000 she paid for it!

    Don't mean to burst your excitement bubble, but a little research may save you a big waste of money. Make sure you test ride the bike too, if it's not a comfortable fit you'll have issues later. Try it on a little uphill if you can and go through ALL the gears (shifting) to see if they're smooth, jumpy or noisy. Lookout for rust on the chain.

  8. #8
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cattrails View Post
    7 years old... I wouldn't pay more that $200-$250.

    Reason # 1. You can buy a basic but decent brand new hardtail for a few hundred more,
    Reason #2 if it's a Pro bike he may have been really rough on it over the years,
    Reason #.3 because it's a hardtail (no rear shock)

    Take a look at Specialized.com and look at the more basic models available for a comparison. Bikes have come a long way in the past five years and are made with better materials and components nowadays, another option before you plunk down that cash is to check your local bike shops for used bikes. More than likely you will at least get something tuned and tested.
    Reason #2. Nope. All that the pro designation means is the equipment level. Kinda like trim levels in a car. A higher trim level means more niceties. In this case, the enduro "pro" may higher than the endure "expert" or enduro "comp"

    Reason #3. Hardtails are perfect for XC.

  9. #9
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so I passed on the enduro, not really what I was looking for. Now I have two bikes that I've found, and instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask here since the "oooh, this bike or this bike" threads get old

    2006 Giant Trance 1 ..........or..................2004 Cannondale Jekyll 800

    I own a giant road bike and like it fine. However, has anyone in the history of the world ever been excited about a giant? no? I didn't think so. Reba shock vs. Lefty here. The jekyll is nominally cheaper, but i could pick up the trance tomorrow. what would you guys do?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  10. #10
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kudude View Post
    . . . I was staying away from the enduro FSR because I'll be doing XC mostly and want something that climbs, . . . .
    Who told you that an Enduro FSR can't climb?

  11. #11
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Who told you that an Enduro FSR can't climb?
    no one. i heard it "was heavy", but i don't want to get into incorrect preconceived notions about that now. I'm not buying an enduro, and never considered an FSR, it was just a comment.

    so.........

    trance of jekyll?
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  12. #12
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kudude View Post
    no one. i heard it "was heavy", but i don't want to get into incorrect preconceived notions about that now. I'm not buying an enduro, and never considered an FSR, it was just a comment.

    so.........

    trance of jekyll?
    dminor brings up a good point. the FSR design is considered extremely efficient. Bikes like the stumpjumper FSR WILL climb. Not that it matters since they are all out of your price range... unless you can find one used, at which point, you really should give them some serious consideration.

    As far as the trance or jekyll goes, go out and test ride them.
    Last edited by BenLi; 05-14-08 at 06:49 PM.

  13. #13
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenLi View Post
    DMinor brings up a good point. the FSR design is considered extremely efficient. Bikes like the stumpjumper FSR WILL climb. Not that it matters since they are all out of your price range... unless you can find one used, at which point, you really should give them some serious consideration.

    As far as the trance or jekyll goes, go out and test ride them.
    The only FS bikes I've ever ridden on trails were stumpjumpers, one was an SWORKS with the "brain-fade" thingy. I could find one and make it work for my price range, but i'm not convinced that that is absolutely what I need to do.

    thanks for the input, though
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  14. #14
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kudude View Post
    The only FS bikes I've ever ridden on trails were stumpjumpers, one was an SWORKS with the "brain-fade" thingy. I could find one and make it work for my price range, but i'm not convinced that that is absolutely what I need to do.

    thanks for the input, though
    Why not? If I could ride a FS instead of my hardtail I would jump at the opportunity.

  15. #15
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're missing it. I'm planning on buying a FS trance. If a stumpjumper FSR fell in my lap, I'd ride it, but all my Craigslist and ebay searching so far has not found one for a "steal".
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  16. #16
    slow up hills kudude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic
    Posts
    4,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .....and I bought it.

    before:

    note all the little things


    and after 20 minutes:


    seatpost is at the top. feels fine. There is a little rubbing/grinding coming from the rear. maybe a hub? i dunno, I'll mess around with it and try to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_tom View Post
    Cycling isn't a sport. It's more like a really, really expensive eating disorder.

  17. #17
    Hardrocker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bike. Ride hard!

  18. #18
    ÖöÖöÖöÖöÖö Dannihilator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Annandale, NJ.
    My Bikes
    2014 Surly Steamroller 2010 DMR Transition 26
    Posts
    18,345
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice, now go ride it like it was built to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrodzilla
    I'm going out on the town tonight and it won't be over until I snort a line of habanero seeds off the hood of a red Fiero.
    Words and Stuff.
    pedal room thingy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •