Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,124
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    You can't be a serious Road Nazi and not appreciate MTB technology

    Mountain bikes have contributed so much to bicycle technology over the past 20+ years that it's hard to over estimate their influence on all of cycling. The whole sloping top tube geometry that is predominate in road bikes today came from MTBs. The stresses that bicycle components have to withstand on the trail has undoubtedly led to lighter/tougher components in general. You can't be a bike weenie and not be utterly fascinated with MTB technology. The fact that state of the art hard tail MTBs now routinely weigh 20-21 lbs, and full suspension rigs 23-25lbs is remarkable when you consider their capabilities. My new hard tail with the disc brakes and SID fork is similar in weight to bikes that were winning the Tour de France in 1970. That's too cool.

    I recall when I first rode V brakes, they were amazing. Now it's disc brakes. The gear just keeps getting better. Very, very cool indeed. Whatever you think about mountain biking, it's a fascinating gear-fest that road cycling can't really match. Like some bizarro cross between cycling and off road motorcycles.

  2. #2
    Former grouch, now happy H1449-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, though object to the term 'Road Nazi" on principle.
    Spectrum Ti Super | Landshark Roadshark | Serotta Colorado | Gunnar Crosshairs | Trek 9800 | Santana fillet brazed tandem | K2 Easy Roller | Dawes (BD) Bullseye 1x1

  3. #3
    Senior Member telebianchi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2010 Giant Trance, 2006 K2 Mod 4.0, 2010 Schwinn Madison
    Posts
    1,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And because you're more likely to break parts on your mountain bike, the justification to buy new things for it is sooooo much easier. "Dang, broke that rear derailleur...might as well upgrade the cables and front dr at the same time."

  4. #4
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,124
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H1449-6 View Post
    I agree, though object to the term 'Road Nazi" on principle.
    Stay away from the Road Cycling Forum lest your sensibilities be violated further.

  5. #5
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,745
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Mountain bikes have contributed so much to bicycle technology over the past 20+ years that it's hard to over estimate their influence on all of cycling. The whole sloping top tube geometry that is predominate in road bikes today came from MTBs. The stresses that bicycle components have to withstand on the trail has undoubtedly led to lighter/tougher components in general. You can't be a bike weenie and not be utterly fascinated with MTB technology. The fact that state of the art hard tail MTBs now routinely weigh 20-21 lbs, and full suspension rigs 23-25lbs is remarkable when you consider their capabilities. My new hard tail with the disc brakes and SID fork is similar in weight to bikes that were winning the Tour de France in 1970. That's too cool.

    I recall when I first rode V brakes, they were amazing. Now it's disc brakes. The gear just keeps getting better. Very, very cool indeed. Whatever you think about mountain biking, it's a fascinating gear-fest that road cycling can't really match. Like some bizarro cross between cycling and off road motorcycles.
    Correctamundo!

    Looks like Pcad's "Inventory" may surpass 2manybikes some day. I know where there is a trike for sale that will hold a 75 lbs. dog!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #6
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    Mountain bikes have contributed so much to bicycle technology over the past 20+ years that it's hard to over estimate their influence on all of cycling. The whole sloping top tube geometry that is predominate in road bikes today came from MTBs. The stresses that bicycle components have to withstand on the trail has undoubtedly led to lighter/tougher components in general. You can't be a bike weenie and not be utterly fascinated with MTB technology. The fact that state of the art hard tail MTBs now routinely weigh 20-21 lbs, and full suspension rigs 23-25lbs is remarkable when you consider their capabilities. My new hard tail with the disc brakes and SID fork is similar in weight to bikes that were winning the Tour de France in 1970. That's too cool.

    I recall when I first rode V brakes, they were amazing. Now it's disc brakes. The gear just keeps getting better. Very, very cool indeed. Whatever you think about mountain biking, it's a fascinating gear-fest that road cycling can't really match. Like some bizarro cross between cycling and off road motorcycles.
    It's easy for a gadget freak like myself to get nutzoid over it. I love to fiddle with crap and fine-tune it. If I had the fundage, I'd have a garage full of bikes. Full sussers, hardtails, rigids, SS, maybe even a roadie.


    I hear ya on the weight thing too. I just got this '78 Schwinn roadie that was basically Top Notch in '78. It's 26.5lbs w/o pedals!! It's a 1/2lb heavier than my burly XC Trail bike!!

    Gotta love people who break crap though...those are the people who advance the industry, hahaha.

  7. #7
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,124
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    4 bicycles for Pcad, one for Mrs. Pcad, one for Pcadette. I can open a bike shop called Pcad's HTFU Velo Warehouse.

  8. #8
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,124
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post

    Gotta love people who break crap though...those are the people who advance the industry, hahaha.
    But that's really the ultimate Velo R&D Truth.

  9. #9
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,528
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    I recall when I first rode V brakes, they were amazing. Now it's disc brakes. The gear just keeps getting better. Very, very cool indeed. Whatever you think about mountain biking, it's a fascinating gear-fest that road cycling can't really match. Like some bizarro cross between cycling and off road motorcycles.
    This is why I won't buy a proper road bike until they come equipped with discs or are at the very least, disc ready. I still haven't found a cross bike I like...

  10. #10
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddorado View Post
    This is why I won't buy a proper road bike until they come equipped with discs or are at the very least, disc ready. I still haven't found a cross bike I like...
    1 good squeeze on a decent set of disc brakes with a limited-spoked road wheel and it's off to the wheel builder for a new one, haha.

  11. #11
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,124
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddorado View Post
    This is why I won't buy a proper road bike until they come equipped with discs or are at the very least, disc ready. I still haven't found a cross bike I like...
    Rim brakes are a joke. I can only hope that the weight weenie world of roadies finds room for disc brakes some day.

  12. #12
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,745
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    4 bicycles for Pcad, one for Mrs. Pcad, one for Pcadette. I can open a bike shop called Pcad's HTFU Velo Warehouse.


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    southern oregon
    Posts
    2,631
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    this '78 Schwinn roadie that was basically Top Notch in '78. It's 26.5lbs w/o pedals!!
    It wasn't top notch. I have a '74ish maserati that isn't top notch and its about 21lbs with pedals.

  14. #14
    Peloton Dog patentcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chester, NY
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Posts
    56,124
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddorado View Post
    This is why I won't buy a proper road bike until they come equipped with discs or are at the very least, disc ready. I still haven't found a cross bike I like...
    This makes you a pre-Fred at best. Please make a note of it, you guys are light on the stereotypes and labels here.

  15. #15
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoine View Post
    It wasn't top notch. I have a '74ish maserati that isn't top notch and its about 21lbs with pedals.
    Don't call her fat...she's already old

  16. #16
    RT
    RT is offline
    The Weird Beard RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    COS
    Posts
    8,528
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take offense. I am fully versed in the art of Fred

    And to chelboed - I'm not sure where your comment comes from. Many cyclo bikes are equipped with discs. I don't want a weight-weenie 15 lb road bike, I want something durable, but with the geometry of a road bike, maybe 20 lbs. I hear Mike over at BD has a new Moto Fantom Cross in the works that is disc-ready?

  17. #17
    Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder Zephyr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    My Bikes
    '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone
    Posts
    3,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telebianchi View Post
    And because you're more likely to break parts on your mountain bike, the justification to buy new things for it is sooooo much easier. "Dang, broke that rear derailleur...might as well upgrade the cables and front dr at the same time."
    Well if THAT'S the excuse, you could always take your carbon fiber road bike on a trail. "Dang, my bike just snapped in half...guess I have to buy a new bike!"

  18. #18
    Whistler-bound dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    The gear just keeps getting better. Very, very cool indeed. Whatever you think about mountain biking, it's a fascinating gear-fest that road cycling can't really match. Like some bizarro cross between cycling and off road motorcycles.
    You have a refreshing way of looking at it all; and I have to agree. The advances are what rekindled my interest in bicycles - - they started to more and more resemble my trusty IT175

    And the future's even better. Mark my words, the gearboxes are coming. Somehow, some way, super-light, ultra-reliable, put-in-anything-without-a-weight-penalty gearboxes, including CVTs and IVTs are coming . . . .

  19. #19
    ಠ_ಠ DevilsGT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SF
    My Bikes
    One of the first Aluminum Rockhoppers to come with front suspension.
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    You have a refreshing way of looking at it all; and I have to agree. The advances are what rekindled my interest in bicycles - - they started to more and more resemble my trusty IT175

    And the future's even better. Mark my words, the gearboxes are coming. Somehow, some way, super-light, ultra-reliable, put-in-anything-without-a-weight-penalty gearboxes, including CVTs and IVTs are coming . . . .
    Belt drives and (affordable) internally geared hubs!
    Singletrack Mind

  20. #20
    BFG
    BFG is offline
    Just say no to brakes. BFG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Guildford...Perth...Western Australia
    My Bikes
    Giant Rincon, Sanki road bike, Iron Horse SGS and DBR BSX Comp.
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox! Gearbox!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •