Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-08, 09:14 PM   #1
lanfarm
Gotta Catch em all!
Thread Starter
 
lanfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Bikes: 2008 Giant Rincon
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Giant Rincon vs. Trek 3700 vs. Specialized Hardrock Sport

Could someone compare the three for me? Im still a newb and looking for a new bike. These were recommended to me by somone on bikeforums (thanks, i forgot your screen name) Whoever actualy compares it, could you compare price and the components of the bike. Also, first hand knowledge of the bike would also be great.
lanfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 09:21 PM   #2
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfarm View Post
Could someone compare the three for me? Im still a newb and looking for a new bike. These were recommended to me by somone on bikeforums (thanks, i forgot your screen name) Whoever actualy compares it, could you compare price and the components of the bike. Also, first hand knowledge of the bike would also be great.
I'm not certain about the Giant, but when I was choosing my bike, I test rode the Trek 4300 disc (fairly similar to the 3700) and the Hardrock sport disc. I ended up choosing my Hardrock because it felt better, due to its more relaxed geometry. YMMV.
BenLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 09:26 PM   #3
lanfarm
Gotta Catch em all!
Thread Starter
 
lanfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Bikes: 2008 Giant Rincon
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLi View Post
I'm not certain about the Giant, but when I was choosing my bike, I test rode the Trek 4300 disc (fairly similar to the 3700) and the Hardrock sport disc. I ended up choosing my Hardrock because it felt better, due to its more relaxed geometry. YMMV.
How is the hardrock working for you? Any breaks, things to swap out? Also, the disc obviously has disc brakes, these compared to v brakes and the extra $ for sport disc, is it worth it?
lanfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 09:40 PM   #4
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfarm View Post
How is the hardrock working for you? Any breaks, things to swap out? Also, the disc obviously has disc brakes, these compared to v brakes and the extra $ for sport disc, is it worth it?
Well, everything is still working, and I'm no featherweight, so, so far so good. The only complaint I would say about the Hardrock is that the cable routing for the rear derailleur is on the bottom of the downtube. Mud and other other debris make consistent shifting nearly impossible. You just have to adjust things more often. When I replace my cables, I'll try to run full housings. Maybe this design flaw is changed in the 08 reincarnation? Other than that, it's an excellent bike.

In retrospect, I wouldn't have paid the extra $100 for the crappy Shimano mech discs. I would much rather get the non disc version and upgrade to Avid BB7's on my own.
BenLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 09:46 PM   #5
lanfarm
Gotta Catch em all!
Thread Starter
 
lanfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Bikes: 2008 Giant Rincon
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLi View Post
Well, everything is still working, and I'm no featherweight, so, so far so good. The only complaint I would say about the Hardrock is that the cable routing for the rear derailleur is on the bottom of the downtube. Mud and other other debris make consistent shifting nearly impossible. You just have to adjust things more often. When I replace my cables, I'll try to run full housings. Maybe this design flaw is changed in the 08 reincarnation? Other than that, it's an excellent bike.

In retrospect, I wouldn't have paid the extra $100 for the crappy Shimano mech discs. I would much rather get the non disc version and upgrade to Avid BB7's on my own.
Good that its still working. Im a light person. Actualy, very very light. So its good that it will work for me. Ive never actualy seen the 08 in person yet. Only pictures. Ill tell you if you want when i see it.

Thats what i thought about the disc brakes. I dont even think they make a sport disc anymore. Not listed on website anyways :S
lanfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 09:48 PM   #6
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfarm View Post
Good that its still working. Im a light person. Actualy, very very light. So its good that it will work for me. Ive never actualy seen the 08 in person yet. Only pictures. Ill tell you if you want when i see it.

Thats what i thought about the disc brakes. I dont even think they make a sport disc anymore. Not listed on website anyways :S
Nope, they have a comp disc. (that's only marginally better)

Although, to tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of the paint on the bikes this year.
BenLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 09:49 PM   #7
lanfarm
Gotta Catch em all!
Thread Starter
 
lanfarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Bikes: 2008 Giant Rincon
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLi View Post
Nope, they have a comp disc. (that's only marginally better)

Although, to tell you the truth, I'm not a big fan of the paint on the bikes this year.
Same, I only like the Black Satin Scythe on the Sport
lanfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 AM.