Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is this frame good enough to build up?

    I would like to build up my bike as I go. This means occasionally getting new parts like crank, BB, brakes, ect. I was wondering if I should get a better bike to build up, or would my bike be good enough?

    I don't want to build up a bad bike, though I could swap components onto a new frame.

    Here is the frame I have, not sure if it's the same components in the photo http://austink5.net/albums/bikes/DSCN1200.jpg

    So, do you think it is worth building up gradually?
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  2. #2
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I would like to build up my bike as I go. This means occasionally getting new parts like crank, BB, brakes, ect. I was wondering if I should get a better bike to build up, or would my bike be good enough?

    I don't want to build up a bad bike, though I could swap components onto a new frame.

    Here is the frame I have, not sure if it's the same components in the photo http://austink5.net/albums/bikes/DSCN1200.jpg

    So, do you think it is worth building up gradually?
    It's decent...it's never going to be a superlight XC racer or a crazy durable hucker, but it will make a decent all-around trail bike.

  3. #3
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What parts should I replace first? I'm thinking of BMX pedals, or a better derailer. I was also thinking of making it SS. Would that be bad for trails? If it would, I would probably make the front SS.
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  4. #4
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    What parts should I replace first? I'm thinking of BMX pedals, or a better derailer. I was also thinking of making it SS. Would that be bad for trails? If it would, I would probably make the front SS.
    What don't you like about the bike right now? That's where I'd start.

    If you go SS, you will need a tensioner to handle the chain grow issue associated with a dually. I think making it a SS would be limiting your trail experience. You would end up hopping off on the steeper climbs and you'd spin out on the DH sections. If you don't want all that extra crap...save some coin for an internally geared hub, or maybe just go 1x8/1x9 with it.

  5. #5
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    What don't you like about the bike right now? That's where I'd start.

    If you go SS, you will need a tensioner to handle the chain grow issue associated with a dually. I think making it a SS would be limiting your trail experience. You would end up hopping off on the steeper climbs and you'd spin out on the DH sections. If you don't want all that extra crap...save some coin for an internally geared hub, or maybe just go 1x8/1x9 with it.
    I think I'm going to go 1x8. There is not really much I don't like about it, though I would like better pedals, and a derailer that does not hang so low. I sometimes use it in a skatepark. I was wondering, what kind of handlebars can I buy for a MTB? Is it better to have wider or shorter ones?
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Trek 3900
    Posts
    1,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what I'm thinking of doing, ditching my Granny gear and my 3rd gear.
    I don't know yet though.

  7. #7
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    Trek 3900
    Posts
    1,831
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use it in a skatepark?
    Sounds like you need a Trials Bike or a Dirt Jump bike....

  8. #8
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeto View Post
    Use it in a skatepark?
    Sounds like you need a Trials Bike or a Dirt Jump bike....
    I just occasionally use it there. About your front gears, I personally would keep the largest gear, or get something between 2nd and 3rd. I never use my granny gear, but my friend likes it when he does wheelies around the parking lot on my bike.

    Do you think it's a good enough frame to build up? Do you think I need a better fork?
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  9. #9
    Senior Member FlatFender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I just occasionally use it there. About your front gears, I personally would keep the largest gear, or get something between 2nd and 3rd. I never use my granny gear, but my friend likes it when he does wheelies around the parking lot on my bike.

    Do you think it's a good enough frame to build up? Do you think I need a better fork?
    It sounds like you are itching to spend some money on this bike.
    Its not what we like, but what you like. I will say this:

    Ride the bike.
    Replace/upgrade parts that break.
    Ride the bike.

  10. #10
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I should not upgrade parts that still work?
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  11. #11
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    So, I should not upgrade parts that still work?
    Well, you shouldn't but I do it all the time, haha.

    Do you not like your fork? If not...replace it.

    Universalcycles.com has a freakin' schweeeeeeeeeeet deal on 2008 Fox Vanilla R's right now for $364!!

    For the 1x8, keep the middle ring. Ditch the outer and inner. Buy a chainguide or a bash with some sort of inner retainer like a jumpstop by N-Gear, or a Blackspire inner guide plate.


    YOu will most likely drop your chain w/o this stuff.

  12. #12
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would I need a inner retainer if I only have one front ring? Wouldn't the derailer keep it on?

    Also, would I need to replace my whole crank if I want only one front ring?

    I wish I could buy the Fox fork, but even $350 is a lot for me. It took me a few months to save the $350 I have now, and thats going towards a new SLR.
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  13. #13
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you keep the derailleur, you won't. Would be easier to toss the derailleur and get a chainguide though.
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  14. #14
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean the front deraileur?
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  15. #15
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  16. #16
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would I need that if the rear deraileur will keep the tension up?
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  17. #17
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Why would I need a inner retainer if I only have one front ring? Wouldn't the derailer keep it on?

    Also, would I need to replace my whole crank if I want only one front ring?

    I wish I could buy the Fox fork, but even $350 is a lot for me. It took me a few months to save the $350 I have now, and thats going towards a new SLR.
    I ditched my front derailleur.

    Mine with an inner ring:


    Someone else's with a jumpstop:

  18. #18
    Tour de Nebraska Danolink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Roubaix,2008 Moto Messenger fixed/ss,2005 Specialized Crossroads
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I would like to build up my bike as I go. This means occasionally getting new parts like crank, BB, brakes, ect. I was wondering if I should get a better bike to build up, or would my bike be good enough?

    I don't want to build up a bad bike, though I could swap components onto a new frame.

    Here is the frame I have, not sure if it's the same components in the photo http://austink5.net/albums/bikes/DSCN1200.jpg

    So, do you think it is worth building up gradually?
    NO!

  19. #19
    Why not? EthanYQX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    My Bikes
    Giant STP 2
    Posts
    845
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Why would I need that if the rear deraileur will keep the tension up?
    The RD won't keep it tight enough all the time. Without a either a guide/derailleur or pure SS it will come off the ring with frustrating regularity.
    "It is not the critic who counts."

  20. #20
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danolink View Post
    NO!
    Why not?

    Also, will I have to replace my whole crank to have a SS up front?
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  21. #21
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Why not?

    Also, will I have to replace my whole crank to have a SS up front?
    nah

  22. #22
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great! So, I can just take off 2 chainrings and add a bash guard?
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  23. #23
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Thats great! So, I can just take off 2 chainrings and add a bash guard?
    And some sort of inner retainer. (jumpstop or guide ring) Unless you're just going to block the FD. Then you don't need a bash either. Just the FD. I'd do a Bash and a Jumpstop if I were you.

  24. #24
    I found a road bike.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My Bikes
    K2 Attack 1.0sE
    Posts
    740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    I'm probably going with something like this!
    Youtube

    Blog

    "Skilled city cyclists move through traffic like gazelles through a field of fat cows."
    -JoeyBike

  25. #25
    ed
    ed is offline
    . ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Summit of Lee
    My Bikes
    Hecklah
    Posts
    10,932
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I'm probably going with something like this!
    Outer
    Inner


    Is your crankset 4 arm or 5 arm?

    You really, really need to post a picture of your crankset or give the make/model before you pull the trigger on these though. You may have incompatibility issues.

    Here's a pic for ya from the other side:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •