Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-08, 10:51 PM   #1
Dannihilator
User Title
Thread Starter
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Can see the commercials now.

Now available at Walmart, Iron Horse Bikes.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/1533.html
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 11:50 PM   #2
wvxc
Montani Semper Liberi
 
wvxc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern WV
Bikes: Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smart marketing. Now they will have high end bikes at two different retailers.
wvxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 12:04 AM   #3
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvxc View Post
Smart marketing. Now they will have high end bikes at two different retailers.
LAWL.
BenLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 04:42 AM   #4
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad
 
mtnbiker66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The old Mountains
Bikes: Blur LT
Posts: 8,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Headin' down to Wallyworld to pick me up a Sunday.
__________________
Like a circus monkey on a stolen Harley......
mtnbiker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 08:23 AM   #5
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend
 
dirtbikedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: "Over the Hill" and going down fast in the 805.
Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yepers, one of the best local shops in SoCal WAS a very huge IH dealer and then, probably due to DW leaving, IH called them up and basically said effective immediately you are no longer a dealer, they did that to a few shops.

From what I have heard there are a lot of the good IH bikes now being sold for 20% off and some being stripped down and the parts and frames being sold separately. Supposedly IH will still keep spare parts for the links and such for warranty work but thats it. Remember what happened when GT said the same thing? For awhile you could not find ANY parts for an I-drive.

I guess to keep sales up they will need Cullinan to come back and win a few more titles like he did in the '90s

DBD
dirtbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 08:33 AM   #6
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Wonder if all this will eventually end the Sunday love-fest?

Is kinda funny how it says IH, "will be the first major brand to allow bicycle sales both in store and online . . ." since they've had a history of that anyway (remember all the SGS DHs that SuperGo blew out their doors?)
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 08:37 AM   #7
rankin116
Senior Member
 
rankin116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ChapelBorro NC
Bikes:
Posts: 3,999
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikedude View Post
Yepers, one of the best local shops in SoCal WAS a very huge IH dealer and then, probably due to DW leaving, IH called them up and basically said effective immediately you are no longer a dealer, they did that to a few shops.

From what I have heard there are a lot of the good IH bikes now being sold for 20% off and some being stripped down and the parts and frames being sold separately. Supposedly IH will still keep spare parts for the links and such for warranty work but thats it. Remember what happened when GT said the same thing? For awhile you could not find ANY parts for an I-drive.

I guess to keep sales up they will need Cullinan to come back and win a few more titles like he did in the '90s

DBD
So what is DW doing? Designing his own bikes?
rankin116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 08:39 AM   #8
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend
 
dirtbikedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: "Over the Hill" and going down fast in the 805.
Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
So what is DW doing? Designing his own bikes?

I really have not followed what he is doing, last I heard (a couple months ago) was all speculation. I personally was kinda hoping for a new and improved Kona but I do not think that will happen.

DBD
dirtbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 08:41 AM   #9
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend
 
dirtbikedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: "Over the Hill" and going down fast in the 805.
Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Wonder if all this will eventually end the Sunday love-fest?

Is kinda funny how it says IH, "will be the first major brand to allow bicycle sales both in store and online . . ." since they've had a history of that anyway (remember all the SGS DHs that SuperGo blew out their doors?)

That is the one positive when something like this happens, you can get sick deals on some great bike, just hope the major components do not fail.

DBD
dirtbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 08:49 AM   #10
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankin116 View Post
So what is DW doing? Designing his own bikes?
He's teamed up with Chris Cocalis of Pivot Cycles; and he's still at the helm of e.thirteen as far as I know. Plus, he's got his new Split Pivot design (well, it's not so new now):

http://www.sicklines.com/2007/06/08/...m-split-pivot/
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Last edited by dminor; 07-03-08 at 09:09 AM.
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 09:35 AM   #11
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Bikes: Hecklah
Posts: 10,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My favorite part:

"Additionally, Iron Horse will be the number one brand in Randall Scott’s retail store in Boulder giving it the ability to control the customer experience and offer better service, pricing and overall value to the consumer, Weidberg said."

What does that mean? IH threw them a few million in incentive and RSCycle will now pimp IH as a better rig than some other worthy equipment?

Number one should be considered based on performance and value. Tell ya what...any time I think about what bike I'd like to have in the distant future...Iron Horse has NEVER been near the top of the list. I hope the pimps at RSC pads their retirement thick enough to cover the guilt that will follow recommending a Yakuza over a freakin Bullit or Wildcard.

Last edited by ed; 07-03-08 at 09:40 AM.
ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:08 AM.