Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-04, 10:30 PM   #1
Mr Jerk
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
any good trails around Rochester NY

Hello, I live in Rochester New York! Hi

How R U?

There are very few trails in my area, its mostly illegal to bike in the parks around here.

Do you guys know of any big parks or trails outisde of Rochester, where its legal to ride, other than the canal?

The few parks that allow bikes are so small, it only takes 5 minutes to reach the other side and back again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 09:00 PM   #2
Mr Jerk
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
so I guess none of you are from Rochester?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 09:08 PM   #3
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not sure whats good in rochester, but i do recommend Skytop trails in syracuse if you ever are here. Great single track, kinda technical.
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 10:12 PM   #4
geneman
rider of small bicycles
 
geneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rochester, New York
Bikes: Cannondale
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in Rochester as well ... but, errr, ummm ... I'm a roadie.

Want some recs for good roads?

-mark
geneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 01:05 AM   #5
Mr Jerk
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman
I'm in Rochester as well ... but, errr, ummm ... I'm a roadie.

Want some recs for good roads?

-mark
Sure!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 09:50 AM   #6
Davek
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Bikes:
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll probly be at RIT next year
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 10:06 AM   #7
Mr Jerk
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davek
I'll probly be at RIT next year
you're in luck, because RIT isnt in Rochester, Its actually in the outer suburbs,.there are plenty of open roads around there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 10:10 AM   #8
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davek
I'll probly be at RIT next year
RIT is a really good school...but prepared to ask yourself this question..."where are all the pretty girls....in fact.....where are the girls"
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 10:12 AM   #9
Davek
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Bikes:
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm glad to hear that mr jerk! Not so glad to hear that killerasp
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 10:14 AM   #10
Mr Jerk
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerasp
RIT is a really good school...but prepared to ask yourself this question..."where are all the pretty girls....in fact.....where are the girls"
hahaha,..the girls around here are the biggest snobs.

Some girl actually screamed at me, when I tried talking to her.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 11:05 AM   #11
MI_rider
Go Yankees
 
MI_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Trek 2300
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerasp
RIT is a really good school...but prepared to ask yourself this question..."where are all the pretty girls....in fact.....where are the girls"
When I was at RIT in 11 years ago they were all in the hotel and food
managment courses. It was pretty slim pickings over in the engineering and
computer science buildings. Although being a lab assistant I had an opportunity
to meet many a cute girl.

On the bright side the riding around RIT was good because as Mr. Jerk said,
it is in the outer suberbs. There was a lot of country side to ride through.
At least there was 11 years ago.

Steve
MI_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 12:14 PM   #12
geneman
rider of small bicycles
 
geneman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rochester, New York
Bikes: Cannondale
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jerk
Sure!

I live just south of the thruway and always bike away from the city. This means that I spend a great deal of time around the Rush area and South.

Ride #1 (characterized by roads that are in very good condition, have little traffic and have moderate slope (with one small climb thrown in for good measure)).
... head out of the town of Rush following 15A east. Just after you leave town, make a right on Phelps road. Take Phelps until it turns into Works Rd. (continue heading South). Works road eventually turns into Oak Openings Road (still heading South). Make a right onto North Avon Road and take that up to Gilbert Mills Rd where you'll make a right. Gilbert Mills turns into Wilkinson and you'll continue to head North. At Honeoye Falls 6 Rd. make a right and then a quick left onto Five Points Rd. Stay on Rush until you hit Fishell Rd. where you'll make a left. Take that up to Rt. 15 (also called W. Henrietta Rd) and make a right. Continue up 15 North until you find your way to familiar territory.

Ride #2 (characterized by flat terrain and the ability to easily throw in some decent hills if desired, roads in good shape, but some traffic and some tight spots.)
At the end of last season, I got into the habit of packing up the car early on a Sat. morning, driving 20 minutes down to Lakeville, parking the car, and biking around Conesus lake. It's a 12 mile route that can be done as many times as desired. It's an easy route down East Lake Rd., around the South tip and up West Lake Rd. However, for the adventuresome among you, the roads going away from the lake on either the East or West side offer some good climbing.

Finally, a recommended park for mtn. biking?
I don't claim that this is legal so you should check it out before going. Furthermore, I can only vouch for the quality of the trail for about 0.5 miles as I was hiking with my 2 year old at the time. But, there's a very quiet little park just West of Scottsville called Oatka park that has very well manicured trails that could be fun. It's literally minutes from RIT. Get into the village of Scottsville, find North Rd. and take it West. When you hit Union St. make a left. The park is about a mile up on the right.

Good luck!

-mark
geneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 12:26 PM   #13
rasheed
mmm babaghanouj.
 
rasheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: toronto, canada.
Bikes: '02 gary fisher tassajara disc, '03 norco fluid 3.0
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there are a number of guys who post on the ridemonkey site that are from rochester. i'm sure they'll know where there are some good trails in the area.
rasheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 03:16 PM   #14
Mr Jerk
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman
I live just south of the thruway and always bike away from the city. This means that I spend a great deal of time around the Rush area and South.

Ride #1 (characterized by roads that are in very good condition, have little traffic and have moderate slope (with one small climb thrown in for good measure)).
... head out of the town of Rush following 15A east. Just after you leave town, make a right on Phelps road. Take Phelps until it turns into Works Rd. (continue heading South). Works road eventually turns into Oak Openings Road (still heading South). Make a right onto North Avon Road and take that up to Gilbert Mills Rd where you'll make a right. Gilbert Mills turns into Wilkinson and you'll continue to head North. At Honeoye Falls 6 Rd. make a right and then a quick left onto Five Points Rd. Stay on Rush until you hit Fishell Rd. where you'll make a left. Take that up to Rt. 15 (also called W. Henrietta Rd) and make a right. Continue up 15 North until you find your way to familiar territory.

Ride #2 (characterized by flat terrain and the ability to easily throw in some decent hills if desired, roads in good shape, but some traffic and some tight spots.)
At the end of last season, I got into the habit of packing up the car early on a Sat. morning, driving 20 minutes down to Lakeville, parking the car, and biking around Conesus lake. It's a 12 mile route that can be done as many times as desired. It's an easy route down East Lake Rd., around the South tip and up West Lake Rd. However, for the adventuresome among you, the roads going away from the lake on either the East or West side offer some good climbing.

Finally, a recommended park for mtn. biking?
I don't claim that this is legal so you should check it out before going. Furthermore, I can only vouch for the quality of the trail for about 0.5 miles as I was hiking with my 2 year old at the time. But, there's a very quiet little park just West of Scottsville called Oatka park that has very well manicured trails that could be fun. It's literally minutes from RIT. Get into the village of Scottsville, find North Rd. and take it West. When you hit Union St. make a left. The park is about a mile up on the right.

Good luck!

-mark
Hey thanks,........
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 04:27 PM   #15
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life
 
killerasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey..next time you are around cuse with your hard rock...give a yell and ill show you around the skytop trails....bring your helmet./
killerasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 AM.